State of the Contests Update

That comes down to individuals and their attitudes. People who are anti TTV and apparently anti nice things have deliberately made things hard, it’s not the concept of contests that is bad it’s the attitudes people are bringing to it. Which you have mentioned so I guess we agree there.

Yes TTV hasn’t had a perfect approach to the contests but all the arguing etc. is still from a minority. I think it isn’t overly optimistic for people to change. At least let’s see how the next two contests go :grinning:

:yum: yhhmmm that reminds me I need to preheat my oven for my lazy lunch…

6 Likes

I don’t know about you guys but I feel that the contests will get better and smoother once we get past the Hagah.

10 Likes

I just hope that the drama stops. Seriously the staff were trying to make something fun for the community and people are taking it way too seriously.

9 Likes

While I do agree that some people like myself is taking these contest very seriously, I rather do that than being on the side that takes the contest as an oppurtunity to make joke entries or being disruptive, for example like the person who got barred from the contest for just that.

5 Likes

Yeah but lets be honest, when entries like that make it super far into the contest, it says a lot. I can guarantee that half of the people acting like this is the most serious contest ever will have voted for at least one of those joke entries.

Well my point was just that, its not wrong to take things seriously, especially something that will affect a lot of people. Now everyone could be more laid back don’t get me wrong but I’m afraid that if we all were too laid back we will end up with canonizing stuff we’ll end up regretting in a few years because we didn’t give enough thought into it.

In this case its okay to take things seriously we just need to respect each other for how we choose to interact with these contest.

3 Likes

I 100% get that and agree but people need to chill a little and remember that this is a contest for fun to keep a dead toy line alive. It’s just for some fun and won’t actually affect Bionicle in any other way than to allow people to create a visual image of certain characters. It won’t affect the story in any way cus there is no story anymore and if moc builders and artists have proven anything it is that even cannon designs are very much up to interpritation.
Honestly I just wish people could have fun with this and not take everything so over the top serious. Don’t treat it as a joke but don’t treat it like it’s the most important thing ever.

2 Likes

something something tahu from reviving bionicle saying “since when was it dead”

(it’s alive in our hearts)

3 Likes

Thats all that matters in the end :slight_smile: Anyway that’s just my 2 cents again. I’ll leave this topic to everyone else again.
Just hope it actually ends well and not in more sadness and upset.

2 Likes

can’t get much worse than being 2010’d again

why did it have to end smh I didn’t even know it was ending until I read the last comic issue in the lego magazine since I was not in the community back then :frowning:

3 Likes

This is off topic so I’ll keep this brief as an avid enjoyer of the canon through the perspective of the sets and models as a collector. I’m not much for revamps and the likes I respect that people do them and I can see why its enjoyable to them but I don’t neccesarily want to have to revamp every new character that gets canonized just to have them fit together better. That’s kinda why I’m very seriously invested in these contest. Just wanted to throw this out there because people are free to disagree on that but that’s why I enjoy Bionicle

4 Likes

That’s understandable. Just don’t forget that this is meant to be fun though, that’s all I’m saying.

1 Like

there can be no room for fun this is very serious business about very serious plastic toy lore

13 Likes

I see, I’ve just been met with the argument “You can just change it up yourself afterwards” one too many times before to silence my and others opinion, So I’m just a bit defensive I guess. However I agree these contest should be fun.

5 Likes

I dunno about anyone else, but if I look at a project that, yes, did achieve its goals, but along the way it took a wrecking ball to the mental health of everyone that tried to run it, leading to one of them abandoning the project and later the entire fandom in less-than-pleased terms, had the winner of one round and four-time finalist in another demand to be uncredited for their victory, turned into a weeping sore of an argument every time, without fail, and took three times as long as expected to get there, I wouldn’t exactly call that a success.

Especially not when the goal in question was choosing designs for tertiary characters from a toyline. Like in terms of gain vs. negative impact I really don’t think I’m gonna be able to look back on this in a few years and go “Y’know, that was worth it.”

In terms of “Victory”, I can only really see it as a pyrrhic one.

Also I’d advise we don’t talk about things in terms of “majorities” and “minorities”, because the truth is that A) We don’t and can’t know how many people are pro-contest vs. anti-contest until the continuation poll (“less than 10” is massively lowballing it), B) the TTV Boards’ active userbase is not necessarily an accurate reflection of the wider fandom (BZP, Eurobricks, Youtube, Twitter, Reddit, scores of Discord servers, and even /biog/ are all part of the community and all deserve a say), and C) Even if there are less of a particular group, doesn’t mean their views become invalid.

Oh, and “Fun” is entirely subjective and always will be. And if it is the goal then I can’t even call this a pyrrhic win.

10 Likes

This is an entire argument I’ve made previously about something I don’t even remember.

I sympathize with the point your meme pic is making as I’ve said the exact same thing in the past (and still believe it), but I’m not entirely sure what it is you’re using this point to argue for? Or against?

I understand people are having some heated arguments about canonicity or whatever (which I don’t care enough to get dragged into, so don’t drag me into it), but coming from a position of a character designer (something I am very passionate about), if we have details on a character I think it’s best that we adhere to what we know.

If this were a character design job from a client and they told me “please make a character with a prosthetic right arm and make sure they’re humanoid,” and I come back with a six-legged creature with a giant mechanical blaster arm…

Could that design be really cool? Cooler even than the original request? Sure. But it’s not what the original specifications mandated. And that can be understandably a bit frustrating for the super-creative out there, but sometimes we just have to work with what we’re given.

And believe me, I’ve worked by that standard. I’m currently working for a client who has been strict about things as minute as which side of the head a character’s hair parts.

4 Likes

I’d say that it’s fairly flawed, considering a contest is all about getting to the end result and the competition to get there.

If we just cared about results we could have just as easily commissioned people to make all these characters and then vote on whose design to make canon, and in the end we’d have the exact same result with potentially less arguing.

I believe that my general sentiments on this matter were worded rather spectacularly here:

2 Likes

Yeah but we didn’t have that so we don’t. Making an artificial scenario to compare it to doesn’t really prove anything?

I’m not saying the contests have been perfect or streamlined like they should but the ‘I was right because it wasn’t perfect and I didn’t try to help it be better or more positive so my bias is definitely confirmed’ doesn’t really contribute much of anything. Like at all.

All I’m saying is that if your statement can be surmised to “I thought it would be bad, I wanted it to be bad, I didn’t want it to be better so I could be right, I’m not going to volunteer to help improve it” then congratulations. Not sure what the purpose of saying it is but congrats.

6 Likes

How would cutting out the fans from the creative part of the contests do anything but cause more controversy?

6 Likes

sure, we don’t have it, but I fail to see how it doesn’t at least show to some degree that if we were to focus purely on results then there are ways to go about this with far less headache.

As for the second part of your post, it’s just a strawman fallacy and not at all what I was addressing here. The actual argument revolves around my statement that contents of a contest matter just as much, arguably more so, as the results of the contest. Just saying that getting good results is satisfactory and that we can overlook the process to get there is a flawed viewset.

Humor my hypothetical for the sake of the point it’s trying to prove. I’m not actually advocating for this, it’s just to point out how the whole “the ends justify the means” thing is flawed.

1 Like