Story idea suggestions?

So I am in college to become a professional writer and was brainstorming ideas to practice aspects of writing that I generally don’t touch when my friend came up with a descent suggestion. He suggested that since my writing tends to be more toward analysis and practical information I should try writing a couple fanfics to attempt some pure, visceral, creativity. Now, after a slightly arbitrary process of narrowing down which series to crap all over the canon of I eventually settled on Bionicle as the first (un)lucky series I’d like to try my hand at.

I’m currently brainstorming ideas for a starting point which will undoubtedly go horrendously off the rails by the end. Any suggestions?

Alternate timelines could be fun. Just take one even, change the results and see what effects it might have for the story. I started one where I had one where I decided the Toa Metru failed and went from there.

1 Like

Not a bad idea. I’ll have to think on where a good place to put the split would be.

Do one where Reidak escapes being transformed into the GSB, and by using his unique ability, eventually becomes immune to everything and ends up killing everyone.

2 Likes

A few premises I’ve had bouncing around but have never been a competent enough writer to execute.

1. A motley crew sort of fic. Features a “toa team” not entirely made of toa. The team also includes Skakdi, Vortixx, whatever other races you want. Mostly individuals that aren’t accepted by thier societies. For example, my current iteration of this concept, (I’ve been working with it since I was little) features a Skakdi with healing based powers, and an escaped Brotherhood experiment.

2. recollecting the golden armor. Just that, a fic featuring a group that is required to collect the golden armor, several thousands of years post-melding.

3. A Bio/HF crossover fic. This one is expounded upon more than most. Basically a squad of heroes are transported by the Olmak to post-melding Sperus Magna. They are found, and integrated into the gaurd aystem of New Atero. They make edits to themselves to be able to use Kanohi, along with training with the guards. Initially only two of the Heroes are found, and the rest of their squads have to be found and rescued. In the background, a group known as the Fist of Karzahni, formed from the Dark Hunters, remnants of the Brotherhood, and more violent sects of the Skrall, are plotting a global takeover. Antics ensue. I’ve worked on this one for a long time, but I simply don’t have the time to complete it. If you want to adopt it and continue it, I’d be glad to hand over the reins! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The first two are pretty good ideas, the 1st in particular sounds like it has a lot of potential.
I don’t think I could do anything with the 3rd idea though since I just don’t know anything about Hero Factory other than it exists and the basic premise.

1 Like

That’s pretty much all you need. I never referenced much beyond a couple of things from Hero Factory FM. (Which is definitely something you should check out. Eljay and I both agree that it’s best peice of comedy Lego’s ever written)

HF didn’t have much story beyond the missions of Alpha Team (Furno, Stormer and co.). Everything else exists pretty much solely from bits on the website, and HF FM. Everything else you can fill in.

But do what you want.

1 Like

True enough but I feel like I should probably know at least some characters and basic locations. Currently my knowledge of HF is “there is a factory that makes heroes, apparently”.

Voila!

Though, take note that the later sets and story is a bit unfinished. Though you could read through the site in a few hours.

The afore mentioned Hero factory FM.

1 Like

Cool, i’ll check it out.

If you want to start your writing career off with fanfiction (which is what I did, so you’re in the same boat as many people), my best advice would be this (and it’s less a bit of advice than it is an imperative, one which you’re in a unique position to be able to do as a BIONICLE fan):

Create your own characters!

I would stress this more than anything else. As a writer, you’re going to have to move onto your own projects eventually (and you’re obviously hoping to), and with that in mind, writing characters whose personalities and histories are already created for you may be easier, but it forestalls the essential skill you want to cultivate–your own creativity.

That’s not to say that you can’t use preexisting BIONICLE characters in your story. You certainly can. But getting inside the head of a character who already exists is one thing. Creating characters and fleshing them out on your own is another. Even if you use the building blocks BIONICLE has given you, like masks and powers and Elemental personalities, creating your own characters will automatically elevate your writing beyond standard fanfiction.

As for ideas, those suggested thus far are good. I would recommend taking one of them and developing it into something unique to yourself. Think of the stories you’ve read and loved, and take elements from them. An example, perhaps:

Three of my favorite stories are The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Avatar: The Last Airbender. Say that I wanted to combine elements that I like from each of them. I like the idea of a magical object at the center of a quest that comes from LOTR, I like the idea of an order of knights that protects the universe from SW, and I like the idea of a reincarnated, deity-like figure from ATLA. How could I combine those into a story? I could reinterpret the idea of the One Ring as a relic that the order of knights is tasked with protecting, and perhaps the reincarnated figure is their leader. At this point, I can ask myself questions. Why is the leader of this group reincarnated? Maybe they are some kind of ancient spirit who founded the order. Maybe their life-force is tied to the relic. Maybe the reincarnated figure is a slave of some kind, bound to the relic by the knights, who are nefarious, and need to be defeated by the main character.

This kind of combination and repurposing of elements that you already know is where I think you can start crafting a good story. You can start with characters, or you can start with the world they inhabit, but my suggestion would be to start with a conflict. What drives your story? What is the goal, and how then can you fit in characters and concepts into that goal?

I hope this advice is helpful! Good luck beginning your journey through the fabulous world of storytelling, and keep us posted on your progress. I’d love to see what you come up with!

3 Likes