Study Tips

If you’ve ever had a test or quiz at school, odds are that at some point or another, you’ve had trouble studying for it. Seeing as these MBs contain such a mix of people, I figured there are probably a lot of studying tips that previously said people could give.

That’s what this topic is for.

Ask about specific areas of study, or even just post your own tips.

Either way, I hope you can find some help. Enjoy!

5 Likes

isn’t this cheating?

/s

3 Likes

I’d love to give tips, but I haven’t studied for a test since the seventh grade. And I can’t remember a grade under a B since then.

7 Likes

Stud-y?

What is this, Stud-y, you speak of?

I haven’t studied in years.

I hope others can actually give each other tips, but I got nothin’.
uhh, listen to music? yeah, nothin’.

5 Likes

Rule #1: Don’t go on the boards
/s

I have no expertise in this area, since I haven’t had a test since 5th grade…

6 Likes

When studying something that requires a lot of memorization (Biology, Chemistry, etc) don’t overwhelm yourself by going into the texbooks and trying to stuff in every single detail in your head…that’ll just make it harder to memorize.

I usually just take everything that i’ve learnt from the unit and re-write the main points on one or two pieces of paper. That way, I don’t get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that I have to memorize, for I already have them written down in a simpler, more organized form :wink:

2 Likes

I have never studied for a test. cant help you.

1 Like

Write stuff down. It helps you to remember it better.

Use notecards when you need to memorize a bunch of different words or terms.

Do practice problems.

Try different methods and find what suits you best. I prefer scribbling mindmaps and “cheat sheets”, watching documentaries and just discussing about the subject with friends. It’s so much easier to study with friends than it is alone, as long as you don’t end up playing Smash Bros. and marathoning series before any real studying.

5 Likes

I have only actually started studying this year. Junior year forced me into it.

Just read over any possible notes or class materials for most studying. Otherwise I think it’s good to talk to someone about the subject matter - oftentimes I think it’s easier to remember things that I’ve discussed rather than read. Both talking to someone who does know what you’re talking about (and can help you learn/remember things better), or (essentially teaching) someone who doesn’t, can help.

I never study for anything, sorry

I find that there are big differences in how you should study based off of what materials you are using for instruction.

If the instructor uses powerpoint, focus on what is in the slides.

Always use flash cards.

Take what I’m saying with a grain of salt, because I haven’t studied since, ever.

I usually just take everything that i’ve learnt from the unit and re-write the main points on one or two pieces of paper. That way, I don’t get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that I have to memorize, for I already have them written down in a simpler, more organized form

This is exactly what I do to study!
This is, to me, the best method for studying, and as a college student it works.
I also know people who just read over class notes (which I also do sometimes) or even use flash cards. Usually I save making outlines for larger exams, especially finals!

1 Like

May I ask what your grades are?

What astounds is when people don’t study and do well…

There’s this annoying guy in my class who acts all lazy, laid-back, and barely does homework but when it comes to tests, he does better than I do (I study). How?!?!

Does he just pretend to act all lazy so he can influence the rest of class to be like him, but in reality he studies hard?!

4 Likes

I generally get A’s and B’s on quizzes and tests, but I also tend to skip homework, resulting in a B average in most classes.

I’m also typing this while in class.

I think that some people just learn differently than others. Some of us also think differently. The best thing to know is good deductive reasoning, that is what gets me my good grades, but I don’t suggest relying on it, especially if you have studied and not done perfect. It just come naturally to some people.

3 Likes

some people(me) just retain information in a different way to others in which studying doesn’t help them(me) remember anything better, just learning the information through osmosis as it is taught. odds are the student you’re talking about is the same, and they just learn the information as it is taught to them.
and as Ranaki said, good deductive reasoning is a good thing to have.

I have an 86 average(honours), which would be higher, if not for one class I was forced to take to fill a slot which I can’t be bothered in(I don’t require it to graduate).

3 Likes

Study Tip #1: Don’t use the boards while studying

3 Likes

^This

I actually missed a deadline because I was on the boards and TF2 on Steam until 3 AM last night. :flushed:

5 Likes

@Rockho My GPA is a 3.87