Syrai of the Brotherhood of Makuta

Okay, this is going to be sloppy; You have been warned.

Makuta Syrai is my first attempt to build a female Makuta MOC. When I think of Makuta, I think of the Phantoka, and the bat asthetic really appeals to me. I tried real hard to evoke the 08 vibe with Syrai, and I think with that, at least, I succeeded. This was also my first try at a custom torso ever, and while I think it could have been done better I am proud of the way it turned out. I think she looks pretty dangerous IRL. That being said, there are obviously things that can be improved on. The most glaring would be the chest from the side view, as the way the armour is placed makes it so she is unable to look down. I’m not quite sure how to fix it, so any suggestions for that would be appreciated (any suggestions at all, really.)

Thanks for taking the time to help me improve! (Posting this on mobile so I apologize for terrible formatting/grammar.)

P.S. Also imagine that all four appendages have the skrall armour. I’ve got the fourth somewhere, I just need to track it down.

@Gilahu I’m sorry about the Inika arms. I put at least fourteen hours in to building her some custom appendages, and nothing seems to work. I’m still working on it, so I’m hopeful I’ll get there, but it may take awhile :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Update 7/2/17: Like all other Makuta, Syrai was created from Antidermis by the Great Beings, and assigned to watch over the Matoran Universe. Whilst inside the Mata Nui robot, Syrai served as a scribe of sorts, writing down every detail of everything discussed by Mizerix and Teridax. She did her job dutifully, enjoying her rather scholarly life, free of dealing with creatures she considered to be of inferior intellect and genetics. When the leadership of the brotherhood came into turmoil, Syrai sided with Teridax, believing his stories to be more thrilling to transcribe. She was proven correct, as Teridax described the Plan to her in great detail. Unfortunately for Syrai, this included The Pit, where she had her essence transported to a Maxilos robot to house it while they travelled through the depths. While documenting Teridax’s travels and findings in the prison, she happened to spot the Mask of Life at the same time as a Gudunka crab. The Rahi got there first, and the Mask enlarged it by enormous proportions. The Rahi grabbed at Syrai, who could not fight it due to her inexperience with the workings of a Maxilos robot, and the metallic body was crushed by its jaws. Desperate, her essence found Teridax, who informed her she would no longer be necessary, as the Plan had already taken shape. Feeling alone and betrayed, Syrai’s essence was unable to find another host body, and she died alone beneath the waves.

Powers and Abilities:

As a Makuta, Syrai had access to all forty-two kraata powers, as well as the element of shadow. Her regular Kanohi was the Mask of Reliving, which allowed her to feel the emotions of others at their time of death, as well as those who killed them.

21 Likes

It looks pretty good, has some ties to antroz on top, but I really like it.

Looks great but if it’s a female you might want to work it a bit more

1 Like

@1000Purse30 What specifically do you think needs work? Not disagreeing but specifics would help. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

@Sealman133 Thank you! I’m glad you like it!

2 Likes

What I mean is try making the torso thinner
(Sorry for confusion) :grin:

@1000Purse30 Aah. Thank you! I’ll see what I can do!

1 Like

I like her shredder claws.

Also, something about the exposed tube bits on the back bothers me. Line, the part where they would be able to be placed in a peg. It’s really just a nitpick though.

1 Like

That’s really unfortunate since I really like how the torso looks from the front. The tubes are well integrated there. You also did a really good job at making the upper torso look like a Phantoka torso - without that picture from the top it would have been really hard to tell if it is a custom torso or not.

The problem with the custom limbs… well, in this scale it is rather difficult to build good ones in my opinion. I personally work a lot with Glatorian necks and 1x2/1x3 flat liftarms in that regard.

On the back the tubes could be better integrated.

But the MOC really works as a Makuta. Nice job!

Backstory is missing, though :wink:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback! I’m really glad you guys like the MOC! I’m away from my pieces atm, but as soon as I’m able I’ll definitely find a way to fix those tubes.

@Gilahu Does Teridax have a scribe yet? If not, then I think that’s what she’ll be. Is there any occupation in particular you’d like her to have? I’m pretty flexible as far as backstory is concerned. I’m really happy you like the MOC! :smile:

2 Likes

It has hoses, that’s a good start.

Alright, how to improve her,
Swap the lower legs for metru red inika legs, keep the skrall armor, personally I’d attach it higher up on the knees,
not a huge fan of the piraka feet, idk, maybe if you used the similar 2 toed feet it would look better?
The hips are kind of thin for a female, g2 masks work perfectly to bulk up limb-torso joints,
the shoulders are very broad for a female, they really need to be narrower,
while I don’t have a problem with the lower arms, the upper arms need to go, I’ve never been a fan of how flat the inika arms are, and it’s easy enough to make custom shoulders with a bit of technic and some armor/masks,
The way the hoses are just kind of hanging off the back looks bad, clean up the back and use better armor, even an inika shoulder would look better than the metru chest-piraka thigh thing she has going on.

All that said, the moc doesn’t look bad mind, it just needs work.

1 Like

This MOC looks like Antroz, and Icarax got blended and this MOC came out, This MOC is pretty nice although it doesn’t look that female.

1 Like

Well, of course everyone has his own preferences in that regard, but honestly: The inhabitants of the Matoran Universe don’t reproduce, so there’s absolutely no reason why “females” should look much different from “males”.

So basically you want to make her Teridax’s secretary? Sure, why not - after all I can imagine that Teridax doesn’t want to take care of every minor thing himself. Syrai could have been Miserix’s secretary before the Convocation, too.

2 Likes

@Gilahu Awesome! That sounds great! I’ll write up a bio. You should have it by tomorrow at the latest!

@Payinku. I tend to agree with Gilahu in regards to the proportions. I want Syrai to look more mobile than sturdy, so I’d like to keep her lower body as thin as possible. I feel if I make her hips wider it could hurt her mobility. Her shoulders are also thinner than average already (I know it doesn’t read from far away. My photography needs improvement.) I’ll post a picture of her next to my other Makuta MOC, who uses the Inika torso. The difference is fairly noticeable in comparison. I’m a little afraid to try and shrink the torso any farther, because I don’t want her to look Toa-sized, and I want to keep the same level of detail that she has. I’m currently working on custom arms, although if Gilahu thinks the Inika ones look okay I may just leave it for now. I have to respectfully disagree with the Inika legs; I think they are way too bulky to work with what I want for Syrai. I will experiment with removing the Metru chest on her back though. She certainly does need to get those tubes straightened out. Thank you so much for your input!

3 Likes

I like. The upper body is a little large for my tastes, but I still enjoy it, as the torso is quite an intelligent design.

If you’re fine with the proportions fine, but inika legs would look so much better, I don’t know what you mean, they aren’t anymore bulky than the metru limbs, they’re just a bit bigger, which would fix the proportion problem I have with the legs, atleast try them?

@Payinku We may be referring to different parts here. I’m thinking of the ones that are on Gali Mistika and Jaller Inika. Which ones are you picturing?

1 Like

There’s only one inika leg, the one you’re describing, I mean that one, I think it would look better, maybe I’m wrong, I’d just like you to try it before you write it off.

@Payinku In my experience that leg has always been terribly bulky, but if you feel that it would help I’ll certainly try it. It just seems too bulky on slender-ish MOCs, but I’ve been wrong before. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Thank you for the suggestion regardless.

1 Like

I’ve had trouble using the Inika leg in any MOC to date. It’s awkward looking because of that weird armor plate bit at the top, and the really thin part at the bottom. It’s just a weird piece with surprisingly limited usage due to its bulk. I can use Metru legs for chest parts, but the Inika leg piece is impossible.

Looks better than my first attempt :stuck_out_tongue: