Tales of Glory and Valour: the Seafarers Main RP Topic

She sighed. “That’ll have to do.” Alexis hadn’t been able to look into military records as she never had access to them, but this? This was good; A priest would no doubt have some influence and wouldn’t have an issue getting records, especially if he claimed they said people were working for him.

The Courier was a strange, downright bizarre situation she thought as she joined the others outside, Whoever they were they knew full well of her situation and her past. She glanced down at the tattoo of an eye on her hand, perhaps the two were connected… Nevertheless, she had a job to do, the questions could wait.

2 Likes

Oh thank goodness.

Dolphus eyed Alexis’ motions… She was looking at the back of her hand. Probably brushed it against something, but inquiries could be made later. Right now what was important was dismissing anything lingering thoughts Helthia might be having about his true intention, if possible.

“Shall we be off?” He asked, to the group rather than to Alexis. It was hard not to make eye contact with her again, and before he could confirm anyone’ reaction to his statement he turned back towards Hethila with his head slightly upturned to indicate a signature look of superiority.

However, depending on how much attention Hethila was paying, there was still a clear fear in his eyes that could be detected. There was definitely something different about this.

2 Likes

(Before she leaves)

Tharwin stands walks over to one of the pieces of furniture along the wall, a filing cabinet of some sort, and speaks clearly, 'Military records for “Alexis” serving in the last 15 odd years." He also states a physical description of your character that I’d know what it was if I could see her. Nothing happens for a moment, and then the cabinet produces a handful of files. Tharwin takes these and sifts through them till he finds one with a Drawing of Alexis in the top right.

“Here we are, let’s see, a distinguished career.” His tone seems a touch impressed. “Ah! Here we are! Service as a Caelin on the Wonder.” Tharwin frowns. “Odd, that’s very odd” Tharwin walks over and sits down again. “The Wonder was lost with all hands just a few years later… And it didn’t have a Caelin by my records…” He thinks contemplatively.

“I’m afraid that’s all I can give you right now, this file is strangely empty after mentioning your last position on the last ship. Highly unorthodox.” He seems to puzzle over that for a bit. “Before you go though, if I may, keep an eye on the two youngest in your crew for me eh? They have promise, but they’re also so… Arrogant. It could get them in trouble out there in the wide world. Emberhold may be a relative bubble, but the world outside is very different”

(Later when she joins them outside)
Hethila sees her and nods. “Finally, try and keep up” she turns on her heel and starts walking towards the docks.

2 Likes

Mako put back on his mask,his pale,thin fingers gripping the heavy fabric.
Wrapping it around his face,he walked outside,his armor clinking as he moved.

Mako walks with her. “So how long will this trip be? And are there fishing supplies?”

1 Like

Okay.

Dolphus silently sighed through his nose. I did it, I’m in the clear. She’s not suspecting anything, she has wings, she has wings, oh goodness why does she have wings?!

Is there some kind of cult? Dolphus worried as he walked, staring down at the alien wing affixed to his arm, covered by his oversized military cape. I know somebody had the time and resources to do this to me, but I couldn’t even begin to place motivation then - now I seem to gain some light into the matter, but to what end? Now this dehumanizing edition seems to have some little focus in its aim, but I am still in the dark as ever. Why? Why me? How can I repent of a crime uncommitted?

The pearl on the pommel of his rapier sparkled in the sunlight. You’ve got little to hold on to, Dolphus. You need her more than you could ever realize. If you ever open up again in the future… You will need to open up to her first.

3 Likes

“the trip will be as long as it takes to complete the mission. You’ll have an opportunity once we get to the ship to grab Supplies. Aside from essentials you will have only what you bring.”

(EDIT)

As the sun progressed lower in the sky the group found themselves coming to the Military Docks. Hethila led them right through the checkpoint without stopping.

The area immediately opened up, providing a proper view of the harbour. The first thing they notice is a Landing boat sitting just by the dock. Standing at the prow, a tall figure covered head to toe in plate the colour of unpolished steel waits for them. This figure was looking out to the Center of the Harbour, where a brand new ship was anchored.

The ship was 100m long from Bow to Stern, with Theee masts carrying proud red sails. A mounted Ballista on both Port and Starboard. The vessel was lower than most but seemed capable nonetheless. The ship had no name. There was absolutely no doubt who’s ship this was. This was your ship.

As they approached, the Figure in the shore boat waved to them. “Hethila, fancy seeing you here, you’re not afraid it’ll quench that fire in you?” When he spoke it sounded playful, but with undertones of something more affectionate underneath.

“Mariner” Hethila breathed, giving him a rare smile. “I thought I recognized that smell” her voice seemed to carry much the same tone. A quite clear departure from her usual professional one. “I notice you’re carefully not on land. Still serious about that vow eh? Or are you worried you might experience actually being dry for once in your life.”

“Dry?!?” Mariner cried in mock outrage, “You’d put that curse on me? It’s a good thing I never brought you home to meet my parents.” He over exaggerates the gesture of clutching his chest in shock. “Oh what would my Mother say!”

“Probably less than my father would say if I brought home a known traitor, but you did still agree to go” she says with something bordering a giggle.

Mariner breaks character, “Wait, your parents are still alive? I’m not sure that math checks… Aiii” his sentence is cut off with a cry as Hethila gently kicks him into the water. “Ok yes, I deserved that” he says as he comes out. Shaking his head to dislodge water from the visor in front of his mouth.

Hethila smiles again, “You never make a comment on a ladies age, didn’t your father ever teach you Mariner… I’m sorry I shouldn’t have said that” her tone changes mid sentence, to a much more sympathetic and somber one, as Mariner’s head hangs low.

“Don’t worry about it Het, it’s been a long time. I just miss him” he spoke softly. It was then that he looked up, and noticed the trail of people following Hethila. “Oh? And what have you brought today then?”

“Finest Sailors we could find… that would sail with you of course” she points each of them in turn and explains their role on the ship, but not their name, she always liked to allow people to introduce themselves.

(@Atobe_Brick @MakutaOisli @N01InParticular @Ghid @Winger Stealth edit time)

2 Likes

Dolphus sucked in a breath and pushed forwards til he was ahead of everyone else in the group, tailing almost alongside Hethila. He eyed the boat with a somewhat skeptical air, but was unable to ignore the feeling that he, already, had left the comfort of the shore and was off in the middle of the sea, with the chopping waves of water all around, the burning heat of the sun coexisting perfectly with the icy sting of the ocean spray.

I think, He mused, as he stared over the unnamed ship, that I will spend a good deal of time either below or in the cabin. Could I get away with pretending to be seasick?

Mariner.

So here he was - the unspeakable fiend whose actions were so atrocious he was banned from the high society of a musty ruin so decrepit and decayed it was nearly collapsed under its own weight. What had this swaggering, armor-clad fellow done that was so atrocious as to raise the dander of everyone in that awful place?

If necessary, Dolphus would have to accept his post and defend Alexis from this man. I bet he’s sloppy with a blade. He shouldn’t even consider anything if he wants to keep his eyes. That flimsy armor couldn’t cover the joints enough to-

Whoa,hold on. He adjusted his collar slightly. Nothing happened yet, Dolphus. Calm down.

Dolphus took one step forward and leaned the cane against his hip.

“Dolphus Greylark.” He touched a lock of his hair as he spoke before retrieving his cane, his expression as emotionally neutral as it always was. “Your reputation precedes you - to the extent that I must inquire where the rest of the crew is.”

4 Likes

Mako walks up nonchalantly to Mariner. He outstretches his hand. “Nice to meet you.”

1 Like

Andreas follows closely beside Mako.

He speaks curtly. “Captain Rook Andreas. I anticipate our departure.” He then stares at their new ship with wistful pride.

2 Likes

Mariner steps forward to the edge of the dock, careful not to exit the water. He looks Dolphus up and down. “Something about you is familiar, but I don’t know.what.”

Up close Dolphus can take him in more clearly, he’s a tall and thin fellow. With a casual but still well composed posture. Strangely, his armour seemed to have but one true gap, the one from which his piercing blue eyes stared out at Dolphus.

Suddenly Mariner starts sniffing at the air. Taking deep breaths as if he smelled something unexpected.

This seems to distract him from Dolphus for a Second, “Well met” he extends his hand to meet Mako’s and shake it.

“Well, it would appear they’re behind you” he says keeping his voice carefully even, although there was a slight edge to it. He points at the 4 other members of the group.

Mariner also goes to shake his hand, but comes up short as he notices the blades on the ends of his arms. Thinking quickly he draws his sword in one fluid motion, moving it slowly as to show his non threatening intent. Mariners blade meets with Andreas’ blade limbs, he uses the sword to attempt to shake his “hand”

2 Likes

Nico kept his head up and his back straight as the part was led to the docks, taking in the sights, sounds, and smells of this place. He was no stranger to harbors or the sea, but it was still interesting to him that it never smelled quite the same on any given day.

Nico approached the ship towards the rear and side of the group, his eyes tracing its lines. No figurehead, that he could see. That would need to be rectified. Maybe a portrait of his own beautiful face. He smiled wryly to himself.

His expression became again serious as the party began to introduce themselves to their … guide, maybe? The bearing of each member was an opportunity for Nico to learn.

Nico approached, then, his mouth a tight line.

“You mean to suggest that we are the only crew for this expedition?”

His tone of voice was too sharp. He grabbed the front lapel of his coat and gave it a sharp tug, martialling his face into a more sincere smile, though still slightly concerned. “What I mean to say is, a party of our size seems slightly … ah … inadequate, for such a vessel as this.”

5 Likes

Andreas raises an eyebrow, slightly taken aback at the bizarre gesture. He matter-of-factly raises both blades for a moment, and goes to watch the ship. Gonna be stuck with this muttonhead for the next decade aren’t I

Andreas redirects his sharp gaze to Mariner. “Your friend in the bar – Tharwin – he told us there were hundreds.

2 Likes

It would be clearest to Mariner, as he would have been facing Dolphus, but his eyes widened and his throat visibly tightened for just a moment - enough of a danger sign to imply Mariner may have hit the nail on the head… Or close enough, at least.

Dolphus, meanwhile, waited for Mariner’s eyes to shift just enough to someone else before smoothing the feathers back down. This could be very bad… I’m stuck with him all voyage, and with that reputation…

Are you actually serious.

Okay, maybe I was getting worried for nothing then. Perhaps this horrible crime he committed was accidentally spilling a drink or something.

“Of letters.” Dolphus replied. “They made an excellent doorside fixture. This vessel, on such a scale, would require an exceptional force of hands to operate - I personally lack a complete set.” He gestured to the cape with his head. “And even the most able-bodied among us are not unimpaired in some visible fashion, save one or two.”

Dolphus looked back at the ship. “This nameless vessel might best be titled the Lost Cause if we go to sea this empty. I believe in divine providence, but…”

4 Likes

“For an answer to that, you’ll need to wait till we’re on the ship. I’m not sure I understand how it works, but trust me it will not be an issue.” Mariner says, taking no offense to Nico’s initial uncouth attitude.

“Yes, hundreds of potential applicants, only 5 confirmed Sailors” Hethila cut in, her tone back to it’s usual clipped state.

“Bad luck to name our ship after an Enemy vessel” Mariner said returning his Gaze to Dolphus. He sheaths his sword once more, and after a moment, extends his hand for Dolphus to shake.

2 Likes

Nico seemed genuinely unsure of himself, continuing to speak to the Mariner but with his eyes distracted, focused on the ship.

“As my associate here said.” He glanced at Dolphus. “This is a two-masted ship, which we lack crew for alone, let alone an oar deck. And what of things that can’t be operated with … I’m assuming you intend magic? A ship’s doctor? A gunner? A cook?” He smiled brightly then.

5 Likes

(Prior to leaving)

Alexis shook Tharwin’s hand. “In exchange for the information about my past, I’ll be sure to keep them out of harm’s way.” She spoke softly with a shifting pitch of something between dread and excitement in her voice.

(Joined up with the group)

Alexis watched the interaction between the group with a great deal of Curiosity in her mind. Not Curiosity about the present conversation, Curiosity about what tharwin had told her. She was a Caelin, A Mage personally assigned to a ship’s crew, such an important role yet… Yet, she had heard nothing of it.

Alexis jolted out of her stupor the moment she noticed they had begun discussing names for their new vessel. The name had to be something fitting, unique, and Respectable; it had to bring dread into the hearts of all who were enemies of theirs, yet it must also have an elegant nature to it… Something that wouldn’t embarrass you when it was read aloud by someone of high standing.

“The Caelin’s hand.” She spoke barely above a whisper, slightly embarrassed by the fact that the name reflected, well it reflected herself in a way.

4 Likes

How would the Swordmaster speak to me knowing the kerfuffle I’ve gotten myself into now? Dolphus thought as he listened to the naive nonsense that poured out of Mariner’s mouth. You have such a blind faith in something you have absolutely no understanding of… That isn’t blind faith - that’s ignorance.

The hesitation in Mariner’s maneuver cost him the handshake. The Gorov boy looked down at the extended hand, something of the coldness of the past rising up in his demeanor and his thoughts. Here was a weak and insignificant individual physically lower and mentally lower than himself. Incompetent, irrelevant, disposable.

And yet Dolphus was not a Gorov of the old breed. He was human.

“I suggest we have some faith in our new employer.” Dolphus replied, not taking his eyes off Mariner. “You have us at your word. I assume such courtesies as this can be completed after doubt in the efficacy of your crew and vessel have been resolved?”

The hand remained unmet. Dolphus gripped his cane even tighter, unsure if he was doing it to complete the act or if he was truly scared.

And yet this whisper - so quiet and so inconsequential, spoken practically behind Dolphus’ ear - seemed to ring as loud as a thousand iron bells. The moment he heard it he turned his head about, all vicious ice in his demeanor immediately shattering and melting away. It took him a couple seconds to piece together what the words must have been - Cave-In Land and Caring Man were the first to enter his mind - but it seemed more important to him that now, as the first words he would have spoken to her had to be that of affirmation and support.

He looked back at her for more than five seconds in complete silence before responding.

“The Caelin’s hand.”

4 Likes

“As I said that is taken care of, I’m not sure how to explain it properly.” He sounds upbeat still.

“you have mages, in your group, should be no issue, I can smell the magic on them”

“What even is a Gunner”

“we’re on dry rations, any extra food you’ll have to cook yourself”

Mariner Stopped short, “A hand of a Hand…” He mused, “I suppose that’d be a… Finger, yes that’s the word.”

2 Likes

Dolphus knew some amount of cooking from observing the servants in his father’s employ, but outside of thoroughly cooking meats and using copious amounts of seasoning, there was little in his repertoire that could satisfy his tastes. He didn’t even want to think about what dry rations tasted like.

But thankfully, he wouldn’t have to just now.

Dolphus slowly turned back with an expression of annoyance and some slight disgust spread across his features. I am going to kill you but ironically, Mariner. Sleep lightly and beware my ironic murdering of you.

“………Well,” Dolphus spoke after an uncomfortably long pause, “I suppose we should get on board The Caelin’s Hand and move ourselves out of the way so the, uhm… the Magic can happen.”

I hate that I used that word even in a joke. Even a Gorov should have standards.

5 Likes

“Take the shore boat, I’ll meet you there” Mariner says indicating the boat to his rear. He then turns to Hethila with a grin. “I think I’ll be able to get there just fine.”

In the depths of the (Possibly) now named Caelin’s hand, a figure crouched behind a crate, hiding in the Storage bay. “What am I doing, what am I doing, what am I doing.”

1 Like