Tales of Glory and Valour: the Seafarers Main RP Topic

Alexis made her way onto the deck of the ship, normally she wouldn’t let the helm be unmanned by an individual such as her. However the journey, and subsequent failed voting for a captain yesterday had taken a lot more energy out of her than she realized. So much so when the magic sailor ghost had offered to take the position for the night while she rested… well to say she practically leapt at the opportunity to have some time to rest and mill over yesterday’s events would be the understatement of the era.

Of course, a sword being drawn upon a child was not quite the first thing she had expected to see this morning. She knew that life upon the sea could be difficult and often lessons best taught upon those of increased maturity were often told to those who may not yet need to learn them yet, but this?

This seemed a bit too far.

“May I ask the meaning of this?” Alexis demanded as she strode up beside Dolphus. “I mean, is it really appropriate to be drawing weapons upon your crew-mates?” Alexis lowered her hand upon The boy’s shoulder, though made sure to hover it above as to not actually make physical contact with him. “Especially those that are children?”

6 Likes

“Ok,” Mako started to focus. After feeling quite foolish for a few moments, he started to notice large droplets whirling over hand.

3 Likes

Dolphus had never understood that people. They were elusive, aggressive, but hardly personal, not even in their own lives. Or, at least, from what he had observed and read, they seemed to fit the stereotype as snugly as a glove. And never before this had he even begun to consider what a weapon that was - to have such resolve, such ferocity, and to sharpen it into a fine instrument of war.

Mariner seemed to rise above his bloodline. Sure, he had begun his journey in a reign of blood and death, but such is the bumbling of one unfamiliar with power. With a lifetime under his belt-

No, why not admit it. The reason Dolphus was giving Mariner so much grace was because he wanted it for himself. That gem, priceless in its complexity and refraction, which so many coveted and hunted for unable to find.

A second chance.

He moved his cane away from the hilt of his sword. Respect is a thing given, and while he did not respect Mariner any deal greater than he had before, he had now bestowed upon him trust - trust severely lacking at the beginning of the voyage. He had earned it.

“Marin-”

Dolphus jumped with his feet planted on the ground, his knees aching from the inability to carry his body away into the air in a flight of fright. It was Alexis, breaking in upon the scene with a rather clear picture of naivety as to what was going on - and hovering her hand dangerously close to physical contact. Mariner could probably see Dolphus’ mask drop for a moment as his eyes glowed, not at her hand floating above his shoulder, but at her face, as if she could simply make the entire world and all its stupid magic go away with a snap of her fingers.

The full meaning of her remonstrance finally broke into his happy little world, and his brow furrowed with simple offense. Come now, surely she doesn’t think I’m incompetent with a blade simply because of my age? What’s got her so crabby with Mariner?

…No, no wait’s that’s not-

THAT’S NOT WHAT I MEANT NO WAIT NOOOOO

6 Likes

Quite a few thoughts floated through Mariner’s mind. However not one of them could begin to interpret what was going on in that instant. Eight thousand years of experience, and none of it prepared him for this.

Mariner stared at her for a solid five minutes. Glad, not for the first time, that he had a thick plate of armour in front of his mouth.

Eventually he seemed to have an understanding of what she was getting at.

“I believe a simple misunderstanding has occurred. I had my blade out to pay my respects. I sheathed it before I turned to speak with this young man.”

Mariner squinted at her hand. Not quite on his shoulder. What is their relationship exactly? He wondered.

For the life of him, he still couldn’t figure out why she was so upset. Humans. Not an ounce of sense in them. He thought, flexing his mandibles. Wait, doesn’t Dolphus already have a sword?

Further confused Mariner decided to take his leave. He turned 90 degrees and started to walk away.

“See, you’re doing it! Now concentrate on the water. Try and feel it as it moves. Understanding is the key to shaping.” Tharos extinguished the fire. Watching Mako’s display. “If it starts to get exhausting, immediately cut off the magic. No need to put yourself in danger for no reason.”

3 Likes

Alexis squinted, trying to get a read of his emotional state, he wasn’t lying she was sure of that, but it couldn’t hurt to be vigilant about this kind of stuff. “My sincere apologies, most definitely a misunderstanding on my part.” She removed her hand from Dolphus’ shoulder. “The safety of my crew… crewmates is of upmost importance to me, I hope you can understand my concern.” she corrected herself, she had not been voted as captain yesterday, but it was difficult to not feel as if she was already. Some of the crew had actually voted for her. A fact that she was proud of, but something she hoped would not drive her actions in the future.

Alexis once again mumbled another apology, and watched intently as he left, then turned To the boy. “So… Dolphus.” Gods she already hated this conversation. Of all things, small talk was not her greatest skill. “You’re our navigator if I’m remembering correctly?” She folded her arms, a position which she quickly realized could be taken the wrong way, recognizing this she instead opted to place them on her hips and look towards the ghostly apparition which was currently manning the helm. She really wished she could find some fault in its skill, something she could focus on instead of the terrifyingly awkward situation she had just created. “Mind telling how you were taught that? Navigation isn’t exactly to easiest subject to learn, trust me I’ve tried.”

6 Likes

Well, that was, at least, somewhat endearing. She was genuinely looking out for his best interests, and while it was under the blanket of ‘the crew’, he would take what he could get.

The lump in his throat came back.

Dolphus slowly rotated to look at the ghostly sailor at the wheel. His eyes briefly caught her with her hands on her hips, false bravado beaming off her face. Was she uncomfortable with his being there? Was she nervous about misinterpreting the scene she had come across? Or perhaps she was mad at him for last night? So many possibilities for her behavior now, every little movement and breath taken into account.

One thing was certain, though. Dolphus was doing a terrible job at hiding his awkwardness.

Dolphus swallowed. “Uh.” His fingers readjusted their positioning around the handle of his cane as he tried desperately not to make eye contact with her. “I d- I’ve had a- had a talent for it since I was young.”

Idiot. Dolphus tightened his knuckles until they were bone white. She thinks you’re still a child. Don’t be so presumptuous in front of her. Make it more about her and her accomplishments; you don’t want to appear selfish.

“You, uh, learn very much of it?”

6 Likes

“Then I shall accept your offer,” Karl said. He bowed, his nervousness returning as the fiery figure spoke. He stepped back, one, two steps, his boots sounding softly against the floor. He realized that the heat from the client was softening their leather the longer they conversed. The thought was enough to make him start.

“Shall I return to my lodgings, then, or is there somewhere you wish me to stay? I have transportation if the destination is within a few hours of rowing.”

3 Likes

Hethila speaks up. “We have a room for you here, in the morning we’ll send you out to the ship.” She opened the door. “Straight across the hall if you wish to get situated.” She gave him a small smile.

“I’ll see you in the morning. I have something to discuss with Thalur.”

3 Likes

Bowing low, Karl salutes.
“I shall be ready in the morning, Milady.”
He backs out of the room, throwing a military salute to both occupants, then enters the room granted him.

Later, as he began drifting to sleep, his mind wandered. As though a wanderer in strange lands, he remembered the people he had met in his life. Canny Griff, leader of a bandit group in a mountainous region. Kenji Scrawl, a forger he had outwitted, resulting in Scrawl’s arrest. Parnassus Mirs, who had first introduced him to the Sunblessed, thought even he had not known what he was dealing with. Mirs had died in a fatal accident while stealing a supply wagon. It had burst into flames, killing him and destroying the documents he had tried to retrieve from a target’s home. And finally, as his eyes closed, a name, nothing more. Fletched Rush. A dodge for outwitting ones pursuers in a maze of streets.

He slept, mind working like a blaze of flame, thinking even in sleep, though if what he could not say…

3 Likes

After Karl left. That Night
Hearing the door close behind Karl, Hethila turns to Thalur. “Was the document retrieval successful sir? Tharwyn was hoping for an update.”

Thalur nods. “Finding someone to break into Ghalwyn’s personal records wasn’t easy. I hope his Holiness appreciates this.”

“Trust me Thalur, he doesn’t take us for granted.”

A sigh. “I know…” He paused mid-thought. “You put Karl in Balestrom’s room, didn’t you?”

Hethila smiles. “He’s got a sense of humor, and I have to be able to have a little fun sometimes.”

“Hethila…”

The next morning

Karl awoke to two things. A heavy wind that seemed to be thunderous now that he was roused, and a Sunblessed standing by the door. The room now flooded with light he was able to get a good look around. What had appeared to be a wall the night prior was actually a thick grey curtain. From behind this came the wind.

“Careful.” advised the Sunblessed. “He’s irritable in the morning.” Nodding at the curtain.

4 Likes

“Does he… er… pose a threat to me?”
Karl looked at the dark fabric, then at the Sunblessed. He briefly wondered if the whole thing was some sort of nightmare, a result of his busy evening.
He glanced back at the curtain, then quietly slipped his legs over the edge of the, and into his boots. They still felt warmer than normal, though the temple itself was rather warm, hovering around the sunny temperature one associated with a midsummer picnic.

4 Likes

“Well I suppose that’d entirely depend on your definition of threat, Human.” He rolled up his sleeve, showing deep scaring on his arm. “He was teething at the time. Nearly ripped my arm off.”

The wind stopped. “I can hear you, you know.” The words, though they sounded clear as day in Karl’s mind, were spoken entirely without sound. “That was years ago. I’ve gotten better.”

3 Likes

Mako concentrated on merging the droplets together, and the water droplets followed suit.

3 Likes

“Not particularly, more studied it as a hobby before my last crew went their separate ways. Alas, I must admit I have gotten quite rusty at it in my downtime.” Alexis paused, considering whether or not she should add on an invitation for him to give some pointers on her studies at some point, but decided against it.

The kid’s got enough on his plate as is, best not to burden him with anymore.

Alexis relaxed her posture, folding her arms once more. However this time she took care to make sure it didn’t come any other way than her just finding a more comfortable way to stand, at least, that’s what she hoped. “You had anything to eat today?”

5 Likes

Dolphus turned ever so slightly towards Alexis, leaning forward a little as if he would look around her at something. In reality, he was practically beaming at the idea that he might be able to share some of his knowledge with her in the future, and simply had to see her in his peripheral vision lest he say something he would regret. But the moment passed, and she inquired into a much different avenue of expertise.

“No,” Dolphus said in an almost regretful tone as he remembered the single grape he had taken and never eaten, lost on the way to the docks. But he immediately followed up the statement by turning to look at Alexis directly. “But, but I’m quite alright, really, I’m not hungry at a-”

There was a loud grumbling noise.

Dolphus’ eyes slowly traveled down, eventually dragging his head along when they could go no further, glaring in cold ferocity at his abominable stomach. You stupid, moronic – what’s the matter with you?

4 Likes

Alexis smiled and then turned to the young navigator. “Tell you what, Why don’t you run and grab a bite to eat, and I’ll join you after I’ve checked on Nico. Sound good?” Of course, Dolphus’ health wasn’t the only reason she needed to end this conversation here, she did well to hide her intention though, making sure to keep her voice clear and sincere.
Alexis also needed to connect with the rest of the crew if she was to win that vote. She had every intention of fulfilling her promise to the kid, but…

But what? Have you any idea why you really want the position of captain?

Of course I do. No one else on this ship can be trusted with the position.

That isn’t true. You only desire to be captain in hopes that someone will recognize you and tell you something…anything about your past!

Are you even the same person if you can’t remember anything about who you were?

6 Likes

“Excellent, so tell me about what just happened there.” Tharos says with an encouraging grin.

Deep in the Hearthtemple, Hethila felt cold. It wasn’t the temperature, in fact it was warmer here than the Suntemple. It was the stares, the ones that dropped quickly if she turned to face them. It was the whispers, that followed like buzzing insects. Most of all, it was the fear. They knew what she was, and it scared them.

Normally this didn’t bother Hethila, but something about her interaction with Dolphus yesterday… No there was no purpose focusing on that. He was a child, a scared child. Needless to say, for the first time in her life, she felt out of place. It was with a sigh of relief that she reached Tharwyn’s door.

“Enter.” Came the High Priests voice, before she could even knock. Shaking off the feelings from her walk, she entered. “Ah Hethila, I’m so glad you came, do you have it?” The High Priest, though cordial as ever, seemed a touch impatient to investigate.

“Here sir, the ones requested, and more. Our agent thought you might find these… Intriguing.” Hethila hands him the sealed tube.

“Really? You are efficient Hethila.” He beamed, fingers already working at the clasp. “Ah, now let’s see here. Hmmm Alexis Rain, Northern Fleet. Magical assessment.” He took a moment to read the file. “Ah, this is interesting. See here, it mentions that due to the results of this assessment, she was reassigned to a…” He squinted at the scroll in his hands. “Project Firehawk. No further details. Pity.”

He set that scroll aside, taking a glance to the next. “Record of service, appears to be the same as what we have. So that’s good at least.” Again he set the scroll aside.

As Tharwyn read the title of the next scroll, he sat up straighter. “Project Firehawk, Update 14.” He read this aloud to Hethila. “Candidate shows significant improvement in Magical potential after 5th round of experimentation. Note: Potential mental factor, seems to benefit from presence of rival. Magical Potential factor increased to level 3.” Tharwyn looked up from the scroll. “Caelin grade.” He muttered.

Tharwyn flicked through the rest of the scrolls. There were none further on Alexis, but far more evidence of low level mages receiving some form of boost. Mages Tharwyn was sure he’d have no record of. Finally, Tharwyn came upon the last scroll, as he read the name he did a double take.

Gorov, Dolphus.

Tharwyn vaguely recalled the Gorovs, a mercantile family. They had some measure of respect, or more aptly fear. He seemed to remember one of them actually tried to intimidate him once. Were they not all dead?

Suddenly another thought crept into his mind. He’d met a Dolphus, recently. Of course, it could all be a coincidence. He thought, it’s an uncommon name, but certainly not unique. However the thought hung in his mind, certain of the connection. He decided to peruse the document idly as he tried to solve this enigma.

He got no further than the first line.

Hand shaking, he passed the document to Hethila. Allowing her to read the words scratched in the Admirals own handwriting.

Human-Avian Hybridization test, A-22. Success.

Hethila looks up, at a loss for words. Eventually she stammered out. “What, what does this mean?”

“It means,” Tharwyn said gravely. “The Admiral’s plan is far more involved then we thought, and far more dangerous.”

5 Likes

His lip trembled for a moment, and then after a gulp, gave a short bow and turned towards the stairs. His cane did not touch the ground, and Alexis may have noticed the slightest wrinkling in the skin on the back of his neck as he descended the steps leading to the helm. Plastered across his face was the fullest and most bitter expression of shame that could have been possible. Surely legends would be written about how wretched and guilty he looked coming down to the main deck, how human history had been cultivating the necessary facial muscles for thousands of years all leading up to this moment.

You dunce.You immense ignoramus. You’re as idiotic as they get. Some Gorov you are, leading those stooges around by the nose only to trip up over your own ego in your most pivotal moment. Don’t you realize this sets the tone for the rest of the voyage? How she views you, how she treats you, after swooping to your defense?

Something about Alexis’ demeanor caught him. Perhaps there was something else going on. No, you’re just hunting, overthinking, begging that there be an excuse for you to slip away into and pretend you’re all that and then some. Maybe you crying in the hallway overwhelmed by the job you signed u for is exactly where you belong, so go suck on some hard tack and get back to weeping and cringing; it’s what you’re really best at, after all.

Wait. Dolphus’ expression had hit an all-time gravitational pull, lightening suddenly as he stopped by the stairs that lead deeper into the vessel. She was just being herself, for the most part. She wasn’t trying to twist anyone’s arms. Is there a chance, perhaps, events went the way she would have liked them to?

Stupid. Dolphus frowned again, staring off into the hull of the ship. People don’t work like that. You either lead them by the nose or you risk getting lead by the nose yourself. Tightening his collar, Dolphus turned and swiftly marched down the steps, his face cold and brow flat.

You’re still a screw-up, and no amount of well-intended actions on her part can cover for your own failure.

5 Likes

“Who are you? Or, more accurately, where are you?”
Karl glanced around the room, at the same time slipping his jacket over his shoulders. He made sure to leave his weapons on the small table where he’d laid them in the evening. No need to antagonize anyone, he thought.

3 Likes

“I am Balestrom, I am everywhere, and nowhere” the voice seems to drift slightly. “I am but a Phantom on the wind.”

“He’s behind the curtain.” The Sunblessed states, matter of factly.

3 Likes