Tales of Glory and Valour: the Seafarers Main RP Topic

Mariner eyes took in his posture, the stiffness in his shoulders as he moved. Clearly he was in physical pain, as well as whatever was going through his mind. “I have a salve that might help, for your back.”

“I’ll trade you, medicine for some food” Mariner offers. Despite how much of a petulant child he could be, Mariner couldn’t help but feel a little empathy for the young man. Here was a sheltered child experiencing the real world for the first time. Mariner remembered his own experience first leaving the bubble of his childhood.

Hethila set off, heading for a room down the hall. As they entered, the first thing Karl noticed was the ring of Mages. Wearing the unmistakable robes of the Hearthtemple, the Carlin waited patiently for Karl.

“Step into the circle, we’ll send you on your way.”

5 Likes

Dolphus looked back up, slowly, trying to decide whether or not this was just Mariner trying to be helpful or him trying to force some kind of magic into his system by using an evil concoction prepared by some ancient evil wizard known only for how nefarious and magical he was.

There was a flash of genuine indecision, the young man behind the aristocratic mask breaking out for a moment from the hidden shield of false superiority. Medicinal aid would definitely prevent any infection from the shallow but still unbandaged wound he had received when stabbing himself on accident.

But with the misguided determination of valiant sacrifice, Dolphus decided risking further pain in order to fulfill Alexis’ instruction was a worthy gamble, and Mariner and his magic paste could- well, do things that were magical and whatever; just leave Dolphus out of it.

“I’m perfectly alright.” Dolphus politely replied, walking up the steps while looking at Mariner, objectively superior than the exceptionally tall armored individual as he proceeded to hit his shin on the step, teeter in pain, and then begin to fall backwards, still trying to clutch the barrel and his cane and stop his descent.

Which was, he began to realize, unlikely for a boy with one arm to accomplish in a fraction of a second.

5 Likes

Mako, on his way to the armory, found himself in front of dolphus on his back and mariner standing near him.

3 Likes

Karl stepped forwards, his boots tapping softly on the stone floor.
Oh good, they’re beginning to harden up again, he thought. He walked to the center of the group, excitement welling in his mind. He knew, of course, that he might not return. Of course, that would only be if he failed to fulfill his obligations. There shouldn’t be much trouble in that…

3 Likes

Mariner looked down at Dolphus. “Are you amenable to help?” He offered his hand out for Dolphus to grab.

When Karl reached the center, the group began to chant. Ancient words, powerful words. As they spoke a hole opened underneath him. He hung suspended, not quite able to break the surface tension.

Beings seemed to stare at him through the hole in reality. They seemed formless, but definite at the same time. Every now and again, one would approach and try and bite him. They too were unable to make it through to him.

Suddenly the chanting reached a crescendo, and Karl found himself falling. Faster and faster, picking up speed. He fell right through the gaping maws and talons. They attempted pursuit, but it was futile. Karl was going so fast now he couldn’t keep track of his surroundings.

Just as abruptly as it started, it ended. Another tear in reality, and Karl hit the deck of a ship.

He was surrounded by ghosts. “Welcome to the Caelin’s Hand.” One says with a laugh.

3 Likes

Dolphus blinked.

Then he blinked again. Slower.

He was in the alley, wasn’t he? There was a bright light coming down towards his face, although it wasn’t as bright as it had been in the past. Something seemed off as well… He had gone to bed in full attire. Perhaps he had been exhausted the night before?

Yes. His face fell as his mind sifted out the most probable answer. There was that Druth, who…

Hold on. The undeniable sensation of being annoyed hit Dolphus like a sack of bricks. Reevaluate. You went on a boat… SHIP, you went on… Hardtack. Mariner. Stairs. Mariner. Looking at me. Head is…

Dolphus gave one more pressured blink and looked around. His head buzzed furiously, but the prospect of not only being stared at by Mariner but also Mako forced him to prioritize. The barrel of hardtack had vanished from immediate view; maybe it had completely dumped its contents or become inoperable in some manner. Regardless, it has been a grueling maybe six seconds, and Mariner’s reply was starting to get through.

“Right, y- sure.” Dolphus groaned, tugging his arm across his body to grasp at Mariner’s extended limb - missing the target entirely, feeling about in the empty air a foot to the right, as it was hard to tell which of the six hands he was looking at was the real one.

4 Likes

Mariner’s eyes narrowed. He looked between where his hand was, and where Dolphus was reaching. Something clearly was off. He needed treatment, but first.

Mariner rounded on Mako, “Don’t you have somewhere you should be?” The question was pointed, and rather harsher than he intended. Mariner made a mental note to apologise later.

“Up or down? Either way plenty of room to go around.” He knew it wasn’t Mako’s fault, but he also knew no one would want to have an audience for so vulnerable a moment as this.

He turned back to Dolphus, and speaking softly so only Dolphus would hear, he spoke. “I believe you’ve suffered serious head trauma. I have Herbs that may alleviate the discomfort, and allow you to act close to normal capacity. Otherwise your options are to avoid any activity for weeks, or have a good mage look at it.” Mariner scoffed slightly at this last option. An oxymoron, if I ever heard one. He thought to himself.

4 Likes

The indecision was clear enough to Dolphus that at least one of Mariner’s three heads was disappointed in him. He aimed for a lower hand, which also proceeded to elude him.

Dolphus only slightly caught himself in time to not roll his eyes at Mariner’s diagnosis. Maybe there was more to him than meets the eye, but maybe that depth was masking a shallow mind as well. Please. I’ve had this happen several times before; it’s perfectly normal to be disoriented after you fall. It just happened earlier, did it not?

…Now stop pointing your seven fingers in my face, or at least stop rotating them so quickly.

Dolphus’ mouth slid slightly into a languid frown of annoyance at this clearly lesser intellect, not nearly as sharp and perceptive as his own, wondering if he had truly misjudged him a second time. But he collected himself quite modestly at the mention of look at it, the color sinking from his face as his pupils shrunk in horror.

“Right, right, yes, I’ll have to do that.” Dolphus kept his suddenly clear eyes on Mariner as he felt about behind him for his cane, clumsily pushing himself upwards with it. “I-I can retire immediately, if you’d prefer.” He tried to stop his arm from quivering as the six different hands coalesced into one, only breaking away from Mariner as he stepped on a piece of hardtack.

Salves, herbs, creams, medicines, even the acursed magic. Dolphus tried clumsily to repair some small pieces of that mask as his eyes traveled back up to Mariner. But I can’t let anyone get close.

4 Likes

“Just heading to the armory.” he muttered as he walked past.

4 Likes

Mariner raises his hand to block his way. “If you choose bedrest, you will not exit your cabin until you are fully healed. 3 weeks, for a human if I’m not mistaken.”

Mariner made sure to maintain eye contact to drive his point home. “This mission is dangerous, I will not have an injured crew member put others in jeopardy. To your cabin then, if that is your choice.”

4 Likes

Dolphus’ pale face seemed to grow even paler. Three weeks?! Are you insane? I’m the cartographer! How am I supposed to do my job if I’m bedridden? And worse… His mind traveled to his concealed wing, but his eyes stayed nervously with Mariner. If I’m there, they’ll have to bring me food… Three weeks of time with possibly being walked in on…

“What I meant,” Dolphus quickly began, nipping his tongue as he thought about how to approach, “Sir, was, that I’ll be happy to do whatever you think best. If it’s possible for me to attend to it in your preferred way and still fulfill my duties as cartographer, I’ll be happy to do so.”

The shattered glass comprising his eyes pushed themselves back into place. His mask was not remotely close to being assembled again, but he hoped his honesty had been enough. Then again… Maybe he thinks three weeks isolated IS the best way to heal. Or maybe this is just his way to try and break me. Whatever the case, I maybe should’ve tried correcting him instead of thrusting it into his hands…

4 Likes

“Very well then, follow me.” Mariner turned and walked to his cabin. Leaving the door open for Dolphus, he strode inside.

Mariner evidently wasted no time in decorating his cabin to his tastes.

His bed had been replaced with coral, aquatic plants sat in various pots around the room, and in the corner was an armour stand. This stand was occupied, with a highly decorative set.

The armour on the stand didn’t seem like it provided full coverage, more so as if it were an add-on to Mariner’s existing armour.

Busying himself at a small table, Mariner started to combine various herbs into a bowl. He pounded these until the juices were released, then combined them with a measured amount of water. Lastly he selected a small vial, which he precisely measured 2 drops from.

Eventually he hefted a medium size bottle up to the light. “Adequate” he muttered to himself.

4 Likes

It was a sigh silent in its audible noise, but loud enough in Dolphus’ mind to wake the dead. Dodged THAT blade a bit too close, I’d think. Heh. Sometimes I feel like half my thoughts are the Swordmaster’s.

He took extra care to watch his path this time.

Dolphus blinked for a moment and thought about potentially wiping his eyes to make sure he wasn’t befuddled still.

He sleeps in coral? Well, I… Hold on, Dolphus. He slightly bit his lip as Mariner started working on the concoction. You made a faulty assessment or five about him already; let’s not start anything else just because he, um…

Okay, I hope he at least understands this is weird as all get-out.

Dolphus nodded along instinctively despite Mariner not looking at him. He was barely standing past the doorway, and had half a mind to back right out of it. But I can’t do that. This is my only chance to not permanently destroy the moment he shared on deck.

He trusted me then; I can’t go demonstrating to him how worthless of an endeavor it was. The cane was gripped tighter again. I’m not like father.

5 Likes

Mariners voice grows distant as Mako makes his way to the armory. He selected a bow and some arrows, before heading up to the deck.

3 Likes

“Oh! Er, thank you,” Karl said, swaying unsteadily. He hadn’t quite retrieved his balance from the disorienting trip. What were those things, he thought, remembering the creatures.
“I– I guess I should speak to the captain about signing on with this ship.”

4 Likes

OOC: SKIPPITY BIPPITY I REVIVE THIS TOPICKITY

IC: When he reaches the deck, Mako notches an arrow, and looks to the sky. He raises his bow in the air, his eye scanning the sky. @Winterstorm345

4 Likes

Karl walked away from the ghosts, heading for the door of the cabin. As he walked, he realized that he was stumbling slightly with each step, an average reaction to going from stable land to a ship at sea in an instant. Still, not exactly what one wants if you’re a mercenary with a job to do, he thought. He reached the door, and headed for the hallway leading towards the deck. He heard someone talking nearby.
Finally, a sign of life. Maybe they can inform me of the Captain’s whereabouts?

3 Likes

Three months later, Rook replies.

“Oh yes, the feeling of unceasing forward movement. Wreched memories of wreched times left behind to drown in the under the crashing waves of the great blue. It invigorates me.”

Excellent response Rooky ol’ boy!
Aye, but I couldn’t have done it without you, Rook!

For the next moment, Rook was captivated by the comically pathetic scene playing out before him, that was Dolphus attempting to take a single step, immediatley crumpling to the floor in agony, and then promptly being taken away for medical aid.

He turns to Alexis again, silently, but meeting her eye, and gives her a look that is all too telling. If we aren’t due for a miracle, we’re due for a watery grave. With that, he heads down the stairs to the lower deck to get breakfast, dissolving into the darkness below.k ,

3 Likes

Dolphus’ internal dialogue had carried him into a land of ifs and buts where history had played out differently, going far beyond the concept of if he had not fallen like an idiot down the steps and given himself a concussion to if the explosion had never occurred and he still had a functioning arm.

Which reminds me, I really need to take some of that medicine with m-

Creaking of the floor.

A step, two steps. Three.

His head was still throbbing, and the voices of the stupid magic ghost crew made it hard to tell when something important was happening, but hours in the swordmaster’s halls had taught him to appreciate footsteps above everything else. And those ones were approaching.

But Mariner seemed so absorbed… Perhaps he wouldn’t be offended if Dolphus just took a slight peek to see who it was? It was probably just a ghost sailor, nobody important, so it probably wasn’t even worth looking, you don’t have to look, you’re wrong about the footsteps sounding different than normal, don’t look, it’s not that important-

Karl Benz would notice someone in one of the other cabins peek out to stare at him.

@DuneToa @Winterstorm345

3 Likes

“Ah, hello. Would you be so kind as to tell where I can find the captain? I have some matters to discuss with him,” Karl says to the person.
If only there were some others around, he thought. I need a bit more information before I can begin operations.
He began walking towards the doorway, suddenly feeling a little self-conscious as he remembered the metal attachments visible on his arms when his sleeves moved. Seeing as the person peering at him was of a younger age, he was afraid he might be too intimidating to remain unnoticed by any gossip among the crew.

2 Likes