Tales of Glory and Valour: the Seafarers Main RP Topic

Dolphus’ expression was flat with disappointment. Here was probably the closest person in age to him, and that person was an idiot of the vainest variety. Who honestly cared if there was a scrumptious supper laid out for the party when the clearest indication of danger seemed to ring out from every floorboard and cobweb?

…Okay, the food did look pretty good. And Dolphus would have to be pretty desperate to eat anything other than the best. But some caution should be advised, even in this setting…

Oh for the love of peaches and cream.

Dolphus continued to make a face of irritation, this time directed at their host. He had been slightly familiarized with High Priest Tharwin by name, but only in discussion of his accomplishments he had managed to overhear. In Dolphus’ mind there was no one more deserving of being dragged by a horse than the ne’er-do-wells perpetuating the practice of magic.

Magic. Disgusting stuff.

There was a bolt of lightning off to his side that drew his attention once again.

It was the young man Nico Markl, only now the enthusiasm and naivety was shattered and the sinister emotions that lay underneath were exposed. It was a fraction of a fraction of a second, but long enough for Dolphus to read the entire picture.

And then it disappeared like it had never been, the mask of disingenuous charisma slipping back into place. I’m going to have to watch him, Dolphus thought. I made some very poor judgements on his character; he could be exceptionally dangerous if he’s had time to master-

Dolphus turned towards the door.

And she was there, standing in the doorway, her warm smile perfectly reflecting off of every surface. For just a moment, the danger of the world and the fact that he was pretty sure one of the people there had a bandage mask of some sort now that he was looking at him faded away, unable to withstand the warmth of her appearance.

And then she was gone.

In her place was another woman, just about the same age, a few inches taller, but enough like her physically to send a convulsive chill up Dolphus’ spine. The military cape over her shoulder was almost a perfect reflection of his own, although she very clearly had two arms.

Dolphus instinctively ran his hand underneath his cape to flatten his feathers, unable to draw his eyes away from her. After fourteen years of searching and losing hope, this decayed and decrepit building with weird corpse people and very bad magic was the most blessed place in the Summer Armada.

He had found her. Or, perhaps, she had found him.

5 Likes

Alexis pulled a chair out for herself and took a seat being careful to not make too much noise lest she interrupt their host. The room contained a collection of the most peculiar people she had seen since her days piloting The Twilight. all of them were laser-focused on their host…All except the boy, He watched her like a hawk not daring to back down.

Had she known this kid? If so what had been their connection? Alexis contemplated as she looked at the boy from the corner of her eye. Then it clicked, The boy was currently wearing a military cape, perhaps he stole it or one of the boy’s parents had been enlisted, Either way, it was quite apparent that she was wearing the same type of cape over her shoulder.

The cape. she allowed her mind to wander. She was more than aware that she had memories and, more importantly, feelings associated with it. She felt comfortable, yet more aware whenever she donned it, and then there was a smaller quieter emotion…

Fear.

5 Likes

Dolphus continued to stare in awe at Alexis until her manner made it clear she was looking at him discreetly. With a noticeable jolt he snapped his head towards the food on the table, not willing to attract any more attention to himself as his face refused to clear the sheepish expression plastered across it in spite of his strained effort to resume that flat, uncaring mask he was so formally familiarized with.

She’s here. She’s right here. He could feel the feathers on his arm rising once again. What do I say? What do I do? Does she know it’s been nearly fourteen years that I’ve looked? Should I be adjusting my manner towards her? I can’t dare dismiss her. That haggard old woman, she might dare try and intrude again… I have to calm myself. Calm my thoughts. Deep, slow breaths, Dolphus. You’re in control here, nothing unexpected is going to happen…

There was a slight cough sound from Dolphus, who was now visibly uncomfortable and having trouble sitting still. He had slightly begun to reach for the food, but his throat tightened suddenly, and so he sat, resigned to his chair, suffering with the inability to act upon anything that occurred.

Please tell me she isn’t looking please tell me she isn’t looking please tell me she isn’t looking

5 Likes

Tharwin looked around at the assembled group, waiting for any questions, when it became evident that apart from one, they had the Conversation skills of a Raging Galdur, he sighed and smiled

“So, I am here to formally invite you to become Privateers in His Majesty’s service. You will have an important role critical to the health of the Armada.” He paused and took a deep breath “Fire has shown me. Our new King has been chosen, I want you to retrieve him.”

He looks around again, briefly to gauge reactions. Careful not to move his head so they can’t tell who he’s looking at.

“My only information, is that he is deep within Legion Territory, on the Continent of Securine, and…” he pauses cringing as the words form, “…He was of the Legion originally” he breathes a little easier.

“This mission is to be top secret, many in the Armada exist who do not wish the King’s return.” He sneered, “It would mean all their power and influence would amount to little you see. I however, not only wish it, but know that it must take place” he finishes his sentence with heavy emphasis. To drive his point home

1 Like

Andreas could sense some slight commotion, but chose to ignore it. The kid’s food was probably a notch too cold for his liking. Or he saw a fly on the ceiling. Or something.

He crudely loaded his plate with a wide range of foods and ate rather ravenously.

Thus far , two out of the six had already managed to get on his nerves. The kid was plain annoying; just the way he carried himself, he was… a bit Gorov-ish. The priest certainly didn’t make a great first impression with his little mind-reading stunt.

But oh well. Let’s hear what this fella has to say.

He leans in a bit closer to Tharwin, eying him with an air of cold suspicion.

"Of all of the people in the entire Armada… you’ve selected us… why?

He then returns to his original position and takes a massive bite out of a drumstick.

3 Likes

Makos eyes shot a venomous glance at Markl.

Mako stood up,and made a bow,taking some food,and undressed his mask to eat.
There would be no need of hiding his scars,the horrifying lacerations and sting marks left by the jellyfish,along with piercing ocean blue eyes. The worst was on his left cheek,healed flesh that was once the site of necrosis.

Ignoring Dolphuses annoyed looks,he prepared to eat on his piece of the fabulous luncheon that he had laid before him.

“I second that question.”

1 Like

Tharwin chuckled, “I selected based on qualities that make one suitable for this mission, and even in that I selected Hundreds” he tilts his head

“Those qualities are, no particular alliance to one lord or another, including me. Sailing experience, and most importantly” he leans forward “The ability to keep secrets”

3 Likes

“Very well. Anything Else?” Mako asked. As he said this,he focused on the water in one of the jugs,took a deep breath,and the water flew into his cup.

2 Likes

If anything could take Dolphus out of his awkwardness, it was not the horrific mangled form of Mako, or the revelation that this quest was focused on an opinion formed by looking at a candle for too long. It was a man with knives for hands devouring anything that would fit on the flat of his blade or, alternatively, anything he could skewer into place.

Dolphus’ expression finally broke out of its sheepish concentration and into equal parts concerned and confused at the sight of the… Attempt at slightly humane eating. How in the world do you perform latrine-related… Actually, I don’t think I want to know the answer to that.

So a quest to go do something immensely stupid. Bravo, wonderful, was the possibility that these many people in the Armada who do not want to see the king’s return would attempt to kill them taken into account at all? Especially since, you know, one of those charming letters was delivered to a child.

Dolphus’ mask was slowly crawling back up his features.

Dolphus slowly took a singular grape from the table.

Yes, Dolphus. It was as if the voice of the Swordmaster was ringing in his ear. You can do both. She wouldn’t want to even think about an idiot child who can’t conduct himself properly, like a gentleman would. You can’t expect to have such trust placed blindly; earn it.

“These hundreds.” Dolphus spoke with complete confidence, a scrutinous eye traveling from the grape to his host, as the fruit was spun about dexterously between his fingertips. “Where are they now?”

2 Likes

OOC: Not by medieval reckoning, he’d be a Young Man.

Tharwin shrugs “I don’t keep tabs on everyone I talk to. Only the ones who agree to the contract, so far you’re the only people to come and see the Parlor”

1 Like

"Shall we go onto introductions then? I shall start first. My name is Mako. Hunter,fisher. Partial Water Mage. I apologize for any problems I may have caused. "

1 Like

“Captain Rook Andreas. And my I say that I accept your offer” (He slams a blade straight through an apple as he says ‘accept,’ probably leaving a dent in the table below)

His mouth had twisted into a smile. Now he wore a full-on grin.

“For years i’ve lurked in the shadows, the world ignorant to my accomplishments — to my glory. but you, my friend, you remember. You remember Indeed. And soon, so shall the world!! Captain Andreas shall conquer the seas once more!”

He then leans in towards Tharwin again. His smile dissipates instantly and his eyes turn cold. He speaks slowly, annunciating every hard consonant. “I’m no fool mind you. I don’t know what yer planning… but be advised… men throw themselves overboard at the mere mention of the name Count… Coal…

5 Likes

How confidence-inspiring.

Dolphus’ expression clearly displayed how dissatisfied he was with that answer, and he glanced at the rest of the party - not truly looking for a reaction, but pretending like he was.

There was an irritated throat-clearing noise from Dolphus as he glared at both Mako and Captain Rook Andreas. Please, you’re all at least double my age. Could we attempt some maturity here?

“Dolphus Greylark.” Dolphus replied, his eyes slowly tearing themselves from the ridiculous Count Coal and his protege in annoyance, focusing on the tinkling metal veil of their host while trying in vain to see some kind of face beneath. “Master cartographer, seven years’ experience mapping the Isles.”

Murderer of one annoying mariner who found out about my wing.

Shut UP, me.

3 Likes

“Nice to Meet you.” Mako said,with a genuine smile. OOC: I Got Rid of that last post because it didn’t sit right with me.

Tharwin raised his hands in mute supplication, but his face held an amused smile.

Yes they’ll work just fine

The voice of Captain Hethila, his body guard, sounded in his mind.

They seek to threaten you, YOU. Who has the right ear of a god? Fools, but brave fools.

Now now, Hethila, these fools may become the Dukes and Duchess’ of the new Armada, we mustn’t call them fools

Allow me, please priest, allow me to show them what real power looks like. What kind of being really strikes fear…

Tharwin put a lot of force into his next Telepathic thought NO, you know your combat form is for serious matters only. I will not have you using Fire’s gift on such frivolous matters.

Tharwin clears his throat, from outside his first words since his raising of his hands, “Ah yes, I’m afraid my imagination is quite active enough that you do not need to finish your sentences.” He chuckles lightly.

3 Likes

“Now with some thought put into my own words,i believe they are misplaced. I apologize for my misdirected suspicions.”

Alexis sighed, her suspicions about this ragtag crew all but confirmed, the only exception to this was the boy of course. He had broken his gaze a few moments ago but she continued to observe him; get a read on his relation to her. Alas, she wasn’t able to gain much and returned to the present conversation. “Alexis. I assume I’ll be your helmsman.” she straightened in her chair and snatched an apple off of the platter careful to keep her tattoo hidden. its mere existence felt wrong, like a disease that should be hidden from others lest it spread.

6 Likes

Right on the highest point of Dolphus’ callous act - the snub of Count Coal and Mako in their grandeur - Alexis had sounded her position of expertise and, more importantly to Dolphus, her name.

It had an uncomfortable ring of familiarity to it, with the harsh consonants reflecting those found in the Gorov family’s names. And much like his mother’s name - Galina - it had three syllables. Such a coincidence, if isolated, may have seemed to anyone else and perhaps even Dolphus as the merest happenstance, but right then he could only interpret it as a divine appointment.

Now his attention had been drawn, and the mask of stoicism was melting once again when confronted by the familiar face. His vision seemed to travel deeper and deeper into her eyes, looking for some constellation or galaxy shimmering from inside the void. It was warm and human, greatly unlike that of his late father, so surely there must be some celestial body deeper in the darkness.

Nothing yet. But there was a silent promise that the stars were there, if he could only find them.

6 Likes

“So. When do we depart?”

1 Like

The glare did not go unnoticed by the latter.

He turned his head to stare Mako full in the face…

… And smiled, widely, his eyes bright with geniality. His expression shifted to that of wistful, empathetic pity as Mako removed his mask.

He returned his attention to Tharwin, and shifted a little bit in his chair. The shift became a graceful rising from his seat, not abrupt or loud to draw attention. He stalked to the side table, loaded his plate lightly, and then returned. He spread his napkin on his lap, and ate daintily, holding his fork as though it were a quill. He said nothing during the other exchanges, and only looked on in interest at the sword-handed fellow’s outburst - Caricatured enough, I suppose. No class, though. He smiled woflishly at the mention of keeping secrets.

“I am Nico Markl. Quartermaster, cavalier, artist. I do not have the same years of experience as some of these wizened sailors,” he smiled sheepishly, trying to convey that he meant no harm, “But I would endeavor to accomplish your goals to the utmost of my ability. Although I do wonder…” He paused, his white gloves tightening ever so slightly around his fork. “And I mean no offense, your excellency, but … who are you, really? Please do not take offense at this, sir, but … a man of your power … your position … this opportunity, the disappearance of our beloved king, seems rather … unparalleled. Are we meant to take your word at face value, that you are simply …” His face twitched, briefly. "Morally upright?

“And furthermore, your excellency … Though my other …” He glanced around at the party, and the pause seemed not for drama but for a genuine loss of words. “Colleagues may be a little eager to begin, there is the matter of … terms. For though you may want to accomplish this mission purely out of the goodness of your heart,” He was staring into Tharwin’s eyes intensely now, and he again seemed to be subtly challenging the other, “… Others of us are not.”

5 Likes