Tales of Glory and Valour: the Seafarers Main RP Topic

Mariner settled for two considerably more aggressive knocks, with the pommel of his longsword. “Open up.” He said in a tone that was as commanding as possible. “Please.” He added, privacy was always something he tried to respect.

Outside he could hear the fury of the storm waking to the east. He tried to compose himself for the confrontation to come.

Breathe. He thought to himself, trying to get a handle on his temper. You’ve had this under control for fifty years, don’t let these children unbalance you.

4 Likes

Karl tensed as Alexis ignited the candle.
“Perhaps,” he said, “you know someone who is good at setting up such occurrences? Mysterious letters, secret meeting spots, maybe knows a little fire magic?”
He gestured towards the candle.
“I was ordered to come here by someone far more powerful than you. Someone who could leave your magic looking weak. More than such hints I’m not allowed to say. But you can rest assured that I’m not here to threaten your ship.”
He looked toward the door.
“Who’s banging out there?”

4 Likes

“Wait here.” Alexis ordered before stepping outside. Clearly she kept hitting rock bottom when it came to engaging with sane people. Although the mysterious letter thing was familiar. Although if he was trying to alleviate her concerns he was doing an absolutely horrid job.

Alexis turned to find herself face to face with Mariner and Dolphus. “Let me guess… You’re looking for our visitor.” Alexis addressed Mariner giving Dolphus a small wave as she did so.

@Winterstorm345

5 Likes

Mariner gave a soft click. “Actually, I’m looking for you. I cannot help but wonder. By what authority are you interrogating a trespasser without even informing me?” He stared her down. “I may not hold the position of captain, but I do still have authority here.”

He paused. “About this interloper, I am told he has papers?”

5 Likes

The longsword thumping against the door was timed perfectly with Dolphus suddenly jolting, his eyes darting towards his own cabin briefly to see if there was any obstruction preventing him from running to it if he felt this might get violent.

Had he said something wrong? Was he supposed to have brought this intruder directly to Mariner? Would doing so have been a greater upset, considering the peculiarity of Mariner’s living conditions? Did he phrase things incorrectly? Was this potentially dangerous fury being unleashed on Alexis for her actions going to be turned on him as well?

…Was there any way to convince himself he didn’t deserve it?

The wave was relieving, implying - to Dolphus, at least - that the situation, however dire, was under her control. It didn’t alleviate all his concerns, or even half of them, but it was a reassurance that things were, hopefully, not going to come crashing down on his head.

Mariner might disprove that, notion, however.

The hall seemed to freeze in time, so long was the following pause - possibly even more than two seconds. As dust danced in the light of her room, Dolphus wondered what kind of an impression he was having on Alexis. Was he being supportive enough? Reasonable? This intrusion might be partially held over him in the future, not to mention the whole sequence of events, either by Mariner or the newcomer, but… Would she hold it against him?

A better question might be whether or not he would hold it against himself, but he decided to conveniently change to a different line of thinking. I wonder what the weather’s going to be like on this voyage? I don’t mind rain all that much, but if it’s severe enough…

But that… That’s not what-

I didn’t… Dolphus’ face fell, his gaze falling from Mariner to stare into the wall in irritated exasperation. I didn’t say that…

@N01InParticular

4 Likes

“Fulfilling my orders to protect Nico and Dolphus, not that wouldn’t have done so even if I hadn’t been instructed to.” She chose her words carefully, even more so considering present company. “A strange man boards my ship, no one here seems to know where he has come from, I try and get an answer from him and he’s less than helpful.” Alexis paused, to say she was a little heated over the matter was an understatement. “Until we figure who he is, why he’s here, and where he came from he is a threat to this ship and my crew.”

“If he does I still have yet to be presented with them.” She straightened herself. “And until he can prove he was sent by Tharwyn or one of his affiliates he is a threat to this mission as far as I’m concerned.”

6 Likes

Mako started awake. Cursing himself for falling asleep, he walked out of his cabin, his throat raw.

He stared at the scene before him, with Mariner and Dolphus in the door way. Mako grinded his teeth together, before approaching the scene.
“May I inquire, perhaps, what is going on?” He asked.
@Winterstorm345

4 Likes

“Your intentions were noble, that I do not fault. In future, as the Security of this ship and it’s mission is primarily why Tharwyn asked me to attend this voyage. I would appreciate if you would keep me informed of such matters.” He made a note of her word usage however.

“After this matter is resolved I would like to have a discussion with you. In private.” He made a pointed glance at Dolphus before a commotion behind him drew his attention to Mako.

“You may” Mariner said bluntly.

4 Likes

“What is happening, or more specifically, what is occurring that includes present company?” Mako asks, shooting a glance at Dolphus.

3 Likes

“We are addressing a matter of security. It is under control now.” Mariner tilted his head to examine Mako. He wondered what the fellow’s angle was.

“What concern do you have in the situation” he probed questioningly. Reading the glance between Mako and Dolphus.

3 Likes

Your what.

Dolphus slowly looked back up at Alexis with a brow furrowed with confusion. Her What?? Did someone give her special orders specifically to guard Nico and myself? Was it Tharwin? Was it because of magic? It was because of magic, wasn’t it?

His cheek muscles flexed slightly to avoid a revolted frown occurring on his face. I hate magic.

Cooler heads. Dolphus took a deep breath, which he hoped was also a silent one. If she’s also about to blow her top, someone has to be the responsible adult and take the lead here, or someone’s going to say or do something quite regrettable.

Dolphus could feel his ribcage un-collapsing. Mariner had been the one to step up to the call, and the situation appeared, at least, to have been de-escalated. Hopefully this can be resolved with as little issues as possible.

Aaaaand there it is.

The glance directed at him was returned, although without nearly as much coldness as there had been before. With the tension still so high, it would not be wise to push his luck, especially if he was to observe any of the interrogation itself.

Maybe Mariner will break his hand. That would be amusing to witn-

Another flinch, this time brought about by the sudden appearance of Mako, who sounded a tad hoarse. Perhaps he had been the source of that noise before? Maybe he was removing his bandages and they stuck to his skin or something?

Regardless, although Dolphus had not noticed him grind his teeth, it seemed his time alone had not improved his quick-fire attitude. Best to stay out of this, if at all possible.

Mariner’s coldness was not so reassuring under the light of Mako’s implied connection. As the exchange continued further, Dolphus pulled his mask back together as best he could before glancing quizzically at Mariner.

5 Likes

“Just the concern that most of the alive crew is standing in a doorway. And what kind of security?” He asks, his emerald eyes gleaming.

2 Likes

Mariner’s eyes narrowed. “Why would that be a concern? Are we under attack? Do you know something I do not?”

“That, is exactly what we were trying to figure out.”

3 Likes

“No, but typically, when people are all in one place, it’s important.” Mako says, eyes still shining.

“ Then how do you know it’s under control?”
@Winterstorm345 @Ghid

2 Likes

Karl unobtrusively loaded several darts like the one in his hand into his crossbow. Given that the room was dark, and the small crowd was standing in front of a doorway blocked by Alexis, there was little chance anyone could see him. As their conversation continued, slowly getting more heated with the arrival of multiple others, he loaded the final dart and turned his chair slightly to face the doorway, the crossbow casually pointed at Alexis.
“If you don’t mind my asking,” he said, “don’t you think your efforts at protecting your mission would be best discussed with the door closed?”

3 Likes

Dolphus tried, he really did.

Alright, maybe he didn’t try that hard not to glare flatly at Mako’s obtuse statement, but there was a slight effort not to look him dead in the eye with the most disappointed stare physically possible, so that has to count for something, right?

Regardless, there was no sign of Mariner telling this inept imbecile to shove off, so he’d just have to wait until he left on his-

…Did I just hear a Click?

Stop. Talking so much. Dolphus frowned. I’m sure I heard something mechanical, or… Maybe it was just the water? It’s a pretty well-deafened room, and…

There it is again. Dolphus slowly began turning towards the door. The fellow in there must be bored out of his head. It’s probably the metal on his arms hitting something else.

I hope.

The clicking hadn’t been too suspicious. It was so quiet that it didn’t seem like anything other than a casual noise. But insisting the door be closed?

The cane quietly rested against his hip. A glance was sent to Mariner.

@N01InParticular @Winterstorm345

5 Likes

“I’d hardly call it all there are three people having a conversation. Which does not concern you at this time.” He ignored Mako’s second remark, hearing Karl’s query at that moment.

“That would just allow you time to escape if you turn out to be a threat.” Mariner stated darkly. “Or are you right now admitting to being a security risk?”

Reaching his hand past Alexis he pushed the door open just a little further to see within. Noting the crossbow, Mariner laughed. “You’re bold I’ll give you that, but what was your plan? Shoot Alexis just in time to be cut down by me?”

5 Likes

“No, that wouldn’t be worth my time,” Karl replied. “Not unless you happen to be wishing for some fiery friends, who I believe you may have met before, to come visiting. Who was it who gave you an invitation to join this ship’s crew? Was it a person called Tharwyn? Or his associate Hethila?”
He gestured towards the group at the door.
“Evidently they chose a team well equipped for combat.”

“It was Hethila who sent me here, to join this ship. She also gave me reason to believe that there is danger in this voyage. Someone planning to risk a fleet, someone who is in the right position to set events on a razor’s edge.”

Again, he paused, looking directly at Mariner.
“Make no mistake, lest they find out you killed an innocent party. I’m sure they have means of learning what happens to me. At any rate, I don’t want to fight anyone yet.”
Karl unclipped a small metal box from the crossbow, and set the weapon on the floor.
“All I ask is for lodging, food, and work to do until the end of our voyage. Once that’s finished, you need not ask me to stay longer.”

4 Likes

Sh-Shoot?!

That was just about it. The sword clicked as the base of the blade disengaged from its sheath. This fellow was backing himself into a very dangerous corner, with Mariner and Mako both in the hall, and, of course, Dolphus himself.

He better have the world’s best alibi for these actions or I’m going to ask he be keelhauled. I’m not sure if I would enjoy watching it, though.

…What.

No, it’s just fluff. Dolphus thought. Surely if Tharwin had sent him along as a latecomer, he would have provided some kind of evidence to this fact, and surely someone sent wouldn’t be so stupid as to completely forego proving himself, instead threatening the to-be captain of this vessel with his idiotic actions.

And surely someone sent by Tharwin or Hethila would be told about Mariner? Or at least how to act around the crew? Instead of whatever this nonsense is.

Hethila knows.

Or she’s suspicious. Dolphus’ mind raced. She can’t know. She couldn’t have found out. Maybe Tharwin is suspicious. Or maybe it’s disconnected? No. It has to be related. There’s no reason for them to send someone else after the fact. If this were the truth, they would’ve sent someone from the get go.

Whatever the case, this is bad. Maybe they found out a Dolphus Gorov back on shore. I knew I should’ve changed my first name. Why didn’t I change my first name too?

There was an audible snort, with Dolphus immediately tightening his throat afterwards. Oops. I guess that comment amused me a pinch too much. Well, same sentiment to you, pal.

There is no way Mariner would ever accept this ridiculous of a proposition. Dolphus’ jaw locked. He’ll smash him against the wall like a bug.

4 Likes

Mariner visibly softened at the mention of Hethila. “Het sent you?” Some small amount of vulnerability peeking through his metaphorical armour.

He quickly closed it, remembering where he was. “If that’s true, she would never expect me to take you on your word. I trust you have proof?”

The threat of the Sunblessed was laughable at best, he was more than a match for some Birdmen. It was enough for him to attach his longsword to his belt again however, showing some measure of reduced hostility.

3 Likes