Tandrax, First of the New Brotherhood

After the Reformation of Spherus Magna, there was peace for a time. The Matoran and Agori cultures learned to coexist and thus began a new era of prosperity. However, it was not to last. The Antidermis pool where the Makuta were created began to act up again. A new species of Makuta was birthed from its depths with memories of the original Brotherhood, ready to terrorize and conquer Spherus Magna. Axonn and Brutaka should have destroyed it when they had the chance.

Tandrax was the first new Makuta created, and thus assumed the role of leader. While not the most cunning of the New Brotherhood, he is skilled in battle and has a fearsome presence. He prefers to achieve his goals through displays of raw power and strength rather than scheming.

Like the original Makuta, Tandrax possesses a set of 42 Kraata powers as well as Shadow and telepathy. He also possesses great strength and agility as a result of his Makuta physiology. However, he and his brothers have not yet evolved into gaseous forms, and so are still prone to weaknesses such as fatigue and pain. He does not have access to a pocket dimension where he can store his excess mass, so he cannot change size when he changes shape. Furthermore, his armor was not made by Artakha and was not designed to change shape with him, so shapeshifting is painful and difficult.

Tandrax wears the Kanohi Kraahkan, the Great Mask of Shadows like every other Makuta MOC you’ve seen today. He commissioned it from the Nynrah Ghosts to represent his leadership of the New Brotherhood. It is made of Protosteel and possesses the powers of Fear and Anger, and allows the wearer to see the moral shadows in other beings.

Tandrax carries a Shadow Glaive in his right hand and a Tridax Pod filled with Shadow Leeches in his chest. His left hand is outfitted with talons that are attached to his armor. His tools and armor are all made of Protosteel.

Overall I’m proud of Tandrax. The proportions are a bit odd, I’ll grant you, but Makuta are shapeshifters after all. The wings feature a full range of motion.

The Shadow Hand effect was made with Super Power Effects.

13 Likes

Nice build I have two issues you would need to address to make this “more cannon” or rather fit with where things left off. First its odd for Miserix to be an antagonist I dont think after rejecting the “Plan” originally he would then commit to conquering the new world. It would make more since for Miserix to go into isolation and seek to atone for his brother’s/sister’s failings being the last of his kind… Assuming Teridax is in fact dead. Additionally, where and how did he get shadow leeches? They were all destroyed and were only created after his imprisonment so that feels odd as well. If the Makuta species was to make a return it would more likely come at the hands of alter universe Teridax seeking to bring enlightened Makuta to this universe. Thus making this new species of Makuta antagonists feel awkward in the new cannon. This would allow the new species of Makuta to still be inherently dark as they have not gone though the process of expelling their inner darkness as the Makuta in the other universe did. This would create an interesting dynamic for those that succeed in being enlightened and those that fail.

Also, only Artakha can make another Kraahkan and only Mata Nui can make more Makuta. If I were to follow canon to the letter, using Makuta in a post-2008 story would be impossible altogether because they’re all dead.
As for the Shadow Leeches, who’s to say that only Mutran can make them? There are several canon instances of a Makuta reproducing another’s work. If Mutran could do it, another Makuta could figure it out, given the time and resources.
Maybe Tandrax’s story doesn’t fit in with your headcanon, but it makes perfect sense in mine.

1 Like

The tridax pod contrasts a little with the colours, but otherwise this is a great moc! He sort of looks like icarax.

1 Like

He looks pretty good

1 Like

Thanks! I tried the orange Tridax Pod, but somehow it just didn’t suit him. Icarax was a heavy influence on Tandrax, in terms of both personality and appearance.

Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry if i sounded over critical before I didnt mean to was just pointing out maybe some slight tweeks to his back story to think about. However if he works for you thats all that matters in the end :slight_smile:

One suggestion i might make if you have access to the part that might help him stand out more would be swapping the dark red parts for dark blue, pulls in the pod better to the color format and we dont see many blue and black makuta. The center part is then the trick so possibly one of these?

though the connection point would not be as secure as the three pins you currently have. But that color change would certainly separate him from icarax.

1 Like

That would be neat. I don’t have enough blue Metru torsos for that though. :confused:

bricklink the blue isnt to hard to find nor over priced if you have the means to do so