The Book of Ramblings

Chapter 6

You gently pushed Cordax off of you and back into his seat, glaring at him with eyes that didn’t exist until he re-fastened the buckle on the seat. The train had taken off from zero to ninety in almost half a second, and while you were there to prevent the Cordax intestinal tract wallpaper fashion trend from ever beginning - it would help if Cordax hadn’t improperly buckled in to begin with - Winger was not as fortunate, slamming into the back of the cab with the full force of a, um, train, and having a much higher chance of obtaining a broken rib at this point than he ever had from you tossing him into a counter.

“Lemme run down the list of who we’re looking for.” Pakari said, projecting a green hologram in front of his face as the seemingly immune to the laws of momentum Krelikan stalked past your vision to peel Winger off the wall. “Agent Bird is, as I mentioned a minute ago, the head of the first research team, and far better equipped for the job than anyone here. Full alias is MocingBird, worked as a riot officer and was part of the division which first tested out the controversial permafuse armor developed by Stanford. I’m sure you’re aware Stanford was a subsidiary of Ghid’s company.”

“I am.” You replied blandly, obviously bored. Cordax is poking you, but you attempted to ignore it.

“Ah! Aah!” Winger yelped as he plopped to the floor. “Joints don’t work like that, you stupid calculator!”

Krelikan, who was glancing to Pakari for approval, simply shrugged in an extremely ingenuous manner and trudged towards the front of the cab. Winger rubbed his shoulder, breathing out vile words in the machine’s direction.

“…He’s primary objective since we can track his signature. The rest are likely with him, but in case they’re not I’ll be going over them too.”

“We already heard all this.” Racie mumbled, busy recovering from the sudden acceleration to fully groan at the reiteration of old info. “Can’t you just show him the screen and get it over with? Jeez.”

“No. Anyway, the next one on the list is Eilrach. Mummified a long while ago, he was requested to be present by those funding this little expedition as a sort of failsafe in case something went wrong. Locked securely, but you know the kind of threats we’re dealing with. I can’t agree with their decision, though-”

“Wait, no, stop. Back. Go back. Rewind.” Cordax pointed to the left to indicate backtracking in the conversation. “Mummified? As in, a mummy? Dead? You’re bringing a mummy?

Pakari shrugged. “Hey, the last group had to bring him. Don’t judge me for their decision.”

“Wait, they actually thought he wouldn’t just kill everyone?” You commented.

“It’s a last last kind of last resort.” Pakari shrugged again. “You’ll have all the time in the world to ask them when we get them back. You’ll also probably want to ask about Zero, who I have literally no information on. Go figure.”

A muffled voice from the front of the train cried out. Krelikan began immediately running through his various capabilities, revealing his mechanical body was armed to the teeth with all sorts of dangerous weaponry, mostly firearms and explosives, but the occasional wicked-looking blade as well. He stopped in surprise at all the concerned glances he was getting.

“Wild said Two Minutes. I am making sure I am ready.”

As it turned out, the inspection had taken those two minutes, for the train suddenly lurched the opposite direction, and Winger went flying towards the front of the cab. He quickly removed himself from the opposite wall in anticipation of Krelikan attempting to help him again.

The train ground to a halt and the glowing speck reappeared. “Alright, all you girls file out! We’ve got only a few hours to get this whole thing over with, so… Go! Do it!”

Racie sent a couple questioning glances about the cab, notably at Wild, and with a shrug shuffled out of the cab. Cordax was the next to follow, scrambling to get out ahead of Krelikan. Your seatbelt was jammed, so you were undoubtedly the last to leave, the chatty speck zipping out just ahead of you. Without a doubt the view you saw after exiting the cab was the most sickening piece of architectural decay you had ever witnessed.

McGick Bottling Company, which just happened to also have a nuclear reactor large enough to eliminate all life in the surrounding area if it happened to leak. Cordax jabbed you violently in the side with his elbow. “Psst, yo, baldy. Why do all nuclear reactors look like golf balls?”

“It’s because…”

Ch 7

15 Likes

Oh boy, oh boy this is getting good! I still can’t imagine we’re this is going, such a unique writing style and I love it

2 Likes

I’m such a Stereotype and I love it.

2 Likes

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

6 Likes

Chapter 7

“When you split an atom, you’re making a hole in one!”

You glared at Cordax with exceeding disappointment.

“No good? let’s try this: because nuclear energy is sub-par! That any better? Or how about: because nuclear plant workers have to be on the ball! Or how abo-”

You send your hand flying upwards, smacking Cordax on the cheek. “Stop embarrassing the air you’re breathing by associating it with your string of disjointed prose, and stop your attempts at standup comedy before I deliver the quickest punchline you’ve ever seen.”

Cordax rubbed his jaw, glaring up at you. Your reprimand had gone unnoticed by the rest of the party, or at least they weren’t contesting it as they walked inside the entrance to the factory, which loomed darkly over your head. The first thing your sharp eyesight took in as you entered was the ventilation duct closest to the entrance had been torn open… From the inside.

“Not good.” Pakari grumbled, shining a light from his palm up into the open vent. “We’re dealing with someone or something with a memorized map of the ventilation system. You can tell by the-”

“You can’t.” Winger retorted, browsing a pamphlet for Uncle Ghid’s Cider Factory Tour. “They could have entered from somewhere close by and happened to know the direction to the door. For an emergency rescue team you people are so shallow.”

“I’m not going to have you start being a problem this early on.” Pakari snapped, jabbing a finger at Winger. “You want to be a problem, you can go and wait in the train car.”

Winger looked at you, which caused Pakari to look at you as well. You looked back and forth between the two of them before giving a slightly comical shrug, unsure how to resolve the tension and bring it off yourself without telling Winger what to do.

Racie snickered at your reaction. “Okay cool. Can we find a working computer someplace here? Because otherwise I’m going to continue being useless, and if you’re all going to keep being jerks to each other I’ll head back to the train and wait till you go at each other’s throats.”

“No sign of anything,” Wild yapped as he flew down from the inside of the vent. “Tons of twists and turns in every direction, but no other light coming from any other direction other than right here. Although you were right about the chemical, Pakari. Two types of the bleeder stuff and the other part I’m not sure about, but your freak science theory may hold up if we test it on what’s-her-face.”

“Excuse me?” Racie glared from under her hoodie. “I have a name and you very well know it.”

“Yeah, but I think your name is stupid.” Wild grinned. “So let’s stick with what’s-her-face.”

Pakari rubbed his forehead. “Can we all stop trying to out-snark each other for five minutes please? Wild, if you don’t stop being a piece of crap I’m- You know what I can do, so don’t make me. Let’s work this thing out instead of giving everyone a reason to hate each other.”

Wild responded with a mad cackle before swooping uncomfortably close past Winger’s face as he made for a utility closet at the other end of the room. “Ohh wow, you’re so scary right now! I almost cried with fright when you whined at me like a three year old who tells his parents what to do. Give us all a break and go suck your thumb so you’ll have enough emotional strength…”

Wild disappeared into the keyhole. Pakari tapped something on his arm with obvious irritation, likely following up on the threat he had stated to Wild. Winger looked between several members of the party and finally at you before walking to the utility closet and flinging the door open.

It was hard to tell what was inside due to the distance and the lack of light, but by Winger’s violent reaction involving stumbling backwards until he collided with Racie and wordlessly jabbing a shaking finger in the direction of the door, you could guess that it was pretty serious and warranted further examination. Pakari had begun to move to the door but you easily outpaced him, shoving him aside with your massive hand as if his technologically advanced frame was as strong as a toddler. Your glowing head illuminated the dark space as an even more angry Pakari came up behind you.

“That is so it,” He snapped, angrily stomping on the carpeted floor as he approached. “Get off your high horse right now before I… Oh no.”

The body of a large mechanical person was crammed into a space it was too small to occupy. Fragments of bone were sticking out from places they shouldn’t be in, and the smooth orange faceplate that looked up from the middle of a contortion of limbs was one twisted into an expression of dread.

“Bird.” Wild flew out from the keyhole. “He’s been dead for three days.”

13 Likes

I start eating it

7 Likes

yknow I’m glad you didn’t see the signups in time

4 Likes

I’ll make sure I’m there for the next sign ups.

2 Likes

No you don’t. This is a PG-13 railroad.

4 Likes

Dangit I want my money back

3 Likes

You say as I stuff a man into a closet going into express detail about the harm done to his anatomy

3 Likes

that’s different!

3 Likes

He’s not wrong, my name is pretty stupid.

Ooh, am I a computer guru?
I am okay with this.

3 Likes

I mean, waste not, want not.

1 Like

why? just why?

2 Likes

How long on average do you think it takes to write these @Ghid?

2 Likes

Chapter 8

Well, things were a lot more quiet now that a dead body had been discovered. You should definitely find dead bodies more often.

Krelikan was being insanely patient as Pakari attempted and reattempted to hook up Bird’s body camera feed to his projector while Cordax stared at every little gear and gizmo in Krelikan’s head, gawking at the absurd level of complexity put forth to construct him. Granted, he was pretty complex, but you really wished the party could walk while they did this, because you’ve been standing in the one hallway leading to the observation deck for half an hour and Pakari still hadn’t broken the system lock on the bodycam.

“I once again offer to just fly inside it and manually override it.” Wild grumbled, having entertained himself by flying around several people’s eyes to irritate them. “We don’t have all day.”

Pakari sighed a sigh of suppressed agitation. “I’m going as fast as I can, Wild, but the last security camera you tried to override security controls on you wiped the data of in the process. Knowing what happened to Bird is essential here; we can’t take any chances with this one- HEY!”

With surprisingly dexterity for the size of your hands, you swiped the camera from Pakari’s fingers, slammed it into the exposed port which had formally been Krelikan’s eye, then activated a manual override of the visual projector on the also exposed back of his head. “Shut up, I’ve got this.”

Pakari was about to lay a serious beatdown on you and your stupid glowing head when the projector lit up. You forced Krelikan to face the opposite wall as you punched in the security code for the bodycam, and a replay of the most recent video data began playing.

“How on earth?” Pakari stammered, looking between you and Wild. You, of course, didn’t honor that question at the moment, because the footage was too pressing.

From the perspective of the midsection of a rather tall person, you saw footage of the factory grounds, the inside of the main lobby, and the hallway you were now walking down. You also saw the observation deck, the gigantic gears and drive shafts all in pristine condition, and a couple other areas unfamiliar to the rest of the party. Present in the footage was a sleek, tall humanoid of a very alien nature, coated in metallic skin and coupled with jade decorative armor, and often alongside him was a large and rather ornate cabinet, locked securely and overlayed around the edges with steel. Now and then there was a glimpse of someone wearing a gas mask proceeding ahead of the party, a sight which prompted you to elbow Pakari. “I thought you told me about everyone present for this operation. Who is that?

“I don’t know.” Pakari responded, glaring up at you. “How did you get the camera to work?”

“I…” You turned away slightly. “I used to work at Stanford doing security. Means I wasn’t on any of the billing paperwork, which means they didn’t legally have to pay me, which is what ended up happening. I memorized all the security info I could before I left. If that code hadn’t worked I had a couple others I could try, but that seemed like the likeliest one.”

“Why didn’t you just say that in the first place instead of waiting half an hour?” Pakari spat.

“I dodn’t exactly want to let everyone know I was stupid enough to accept a security job without securing a paycheck.” You grumbled back. “However, I guess I was wrong about you being capable enough to handle it.”

“Stop. This is the last time I’m going to warn you.” Pakari was getting seriously fed up with your attitude towards him. “Any more of this kind of nonsense and you’ll be going back to the train in a stretcher. Do you understand? This isn’t a buddy cop film, this a rescue mission and if you aren’t willing to take that seriously then you don’t deserve to be here.”

As a bit of a saving grace there suddenly came a violent flash of lights from the projection and the rest of the group recoiled in horror. One of the gears had flown through the air and smashed through the observation deck window, pretty much totaling the observation deck in the process. The cabinet-like object plummeted through a newly-formed hole in the floor and the visible party raced back towards the entrance, tripping over something that looked vaguely like a kid-size winter coat. At the entrance the ventilation duct above started being punched from the inside, as if something was desperately trying to break free. Then, just as the duct exploded, you…

…Turned off the projection as quietly as you could.

“Is that it?” Cordax said after a moment of silence. You furiously toyed with settings on Krelikan’s exposed skull that did absolutely nothing and then angrily took the camera out of his eye. “Yes, that’s it.” You growled, glaring at the camera in contempt. “We were so close to solving one mystery, but here we are with a hundred more.”

“At least we know the observation deck is damaged.” Cordax mused, rubbing his chin. “I wonder… The last group was sent a month in advance, right? If Bird’s only been dead for three days, why did it take him a month to get to the front door?”

“Maybe it didn’t.” Krelikan said as his headplate was replaced by Pakari. “Maybe the first portion we witnessed was them arriving, then a jump in time.”

“No.” Pakari mused, leaning against the wall. “Stanford bodycams only reserve the previous twenty-four hours of footage. Somehow they took a month to get to the front door. If they didn’t, the whole building would stink with rot from Bird’s body.” He glanced at the party. “Only thing we can do is move on.”

Pushing himself up off the wall, he proceeded towards the observation deck, followed closely by Krelikan, and then Wild, who immediately went into a tirade about stupidly huge factory tours that serve no purpose. Cordax waited for a moment or two to move before being shooed along by a wave of your hand. Racie had taken to facing the opposite direction and staring down at her phone.

Racie was, in more aspects than one, alone.

“Are you coming?” You hazarded, approaching behind her without getting too close.

“There’s no point.” She sighed. “With Bird dead there’s no need for me to track him, so I’m completely useless. I know everyone here is really hardened to death and stuff like that, but, like, I still feel horrible that we weren’t quick enough to save him. He only died three days ago, that’s… We could have been here by then.”

“So I’m going back to the train.” She wiped a hand across her cheek, seemingly to remove a tear, although you couldn’t tell from your position. “Tell them I’ll be waiting there so nobody else has to die by my inaction.”

You sighed deeply, extending one hand to hover over the back of her head, gauging the exact position necessary. “I will.”

Bringing your fingers close, you applied only the minimal amount of pressure on her temples to cause them to fracture. She dropped out of your grip instantly, collapsing onto the floor, internal bleeding causing severe damage to the brain which would inevitably lead to swift - and unconscious - death.

One down. You stalked back down the hallway towards the observation deck. Who knows how many more to go.

14 Likes

my topic so I can doublepost :triumph:

about an hour each, depending
like this last chapter took maybe 1:15 but it was extra long, shorter chapters maybe 45 minutes

honestly I’m super slow

2 Likes

grasping at straws here.

3 Likes

Dear Mata Nui…Mr Monopoly is gonna murder everyone?!
Very gripping, keep it up, can’t wait for that ‘ornate cabinet’ to be found.

3 Likes