The Cliches and Stereotypes Topic

I don’t like stereotypes at all. They lead to bigoted assumptions.

Cliches, however, can work quite well if executed correctly.

4 Likes

inb4 this topic becomes a flood of TVtropes links

6 Likes

I hate it when cliches are blatantly obvious (when they don’t flow well with the story and etc.) They aren’t inherently bad IMO. They can be done well.
Stereotypes however are something that ppl should avoid. There might be some truth in them, but giving human beings (who are also individuals) a “definition” is kinda dumb.

5 Likes

Basically Hero Factory

6 Likes

[Guy in Glasses=You]

9 Likes

holy crap what the hell is this

2 Likes

The best Gif you have ever seen.

3 Likes

I really hate the “sympathetic villain” cliché. I don’t to want to feel bad for a villain! I want them to be pure evil and loath able.

I also hate the “un-clichéd” story ending cliché. They’re always depressing, and they’re becoming very prevelant these days. They make me sad :frowning:

3 Likes

I don’t like when this guy whose really close to the main character, goes and does something to him, cause it’s obvious he’s the bad guy already, and the hero is like “But, why would you do this to me?”… :facepalm:

3 Likes

I counter you with Onua, Vezok, and Reidak.

All strong and wise/clever.

BIONICLE was good at that.

7 Likes

And are you going to do that to all the “bad guys” you face in real life?

@Hawkflight
What do you mean? :confused:

1 Like

Activating @Hawkflight vision

Bully: Gimme your money kid
Me: I’m going to do nothing so you guys can become the evil guys

2 Likes

Antiheroes are often badly done and overrated.

1 Like

He means there are no evil people in real life. Only the morally ambiguous.

2 Likes

Exactly. I don’t read a book or watch a movie to see real life, I do it to experience something I couldn’t otherwise.

I try to avoid clichés in speech as much as I can. In stories, as others have said, it depends f they’re used well.

I’m pretty neutral about stereotypes. You shouldn’t necessarily make assumptions about an individual based on surface-level impressions, but at the same time, I’ve found that stereotypes often exit for good reasons, even though they aren’t universally true. For example, you could say it’s a stereotype that most users on this site are teenagers, often in the 12-16 range. That’s obviously not true for everyone (such as moi), but keeping it in mind lets me tailor my typical speech and interactions to easily communicate with that demographic, which comprises the majority around here from what I’ve gathered. So as long as you’re using stereotypes in a constructive manner, I think they’re actually a very good thing. Problems only arise when people use them to unjustly discriminate (hence my overall neutrality).

8 Likes

And when you get to be about eleven the shows in your target age range attempt to display real human emotions and dilemmas

@Hawkflight
It’s a bit anoying that way :confused:

Except for Watchmen, Red Hood, V for Vendetta, Road to Perdition,…