The Great Summer Smash Tournament: MAY THE NERFS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR

So yeah, start making contact with your opponents if you’re free. We don’t need Round 1 knocked out of the way anytime soon (I know some people are still in school), but it’d be nice to get this out of the way by mid June at the latest.

Here’s the finalized bracket, along with the ruleset posted at the top.

-MT

Winner of our matchups faces MT

Wow

@Indigogeek, look at that PM

Indeed. Hope I’m ready. =p

I realize that some people’s schools are still getting out/some of us still have to get a Wii U, so round 1 matchups will likely extend to around E3 time. With that said, if you’re free, do try to get in touch with your opponent to see when you could possibly play.

(Also OP is updated with the shortened ruleset I promised, link to bracket, and potential scenarios)

-MT

Replied :slight_smile:

I dunno if my opponent @LurkingEhlek is inactive or something, because I haven’t gotten any messages or updates from him.

All right so we’ve got a bit of a late entry from @Greencapps. He’ll be playing me in the first round.

-MT

I got rekt it hurts

did MT kong ya?

3 Likes

@MT_Zehvor, what are the rules for changing characters? (If you don’t answer in like 20 minutes Indigo and I will be figuring out our on choices)

There are no rules. You can stay or change characters at any point in-between games. Since your opponent can’t see your screen, an endless cycle of switching characters is not a threat like it is at local tourneys.

-MT

2 Likes

Well I was very solidly creamed in that matchup.

adds “find counterpicks for Ness” to bucket list

1 Like

Villager and Rosaluma both pretty solidly rek Ness. Basically anyone who can force him to approach is going to have a real advantage.

-MT

You could say Hawkflight was…

PK fired

Huh. Maybe I’ll try that. Tier list I looked at also said that Captain Falcon and Pikachu (two characters I know decently well) also perform evenly against him.

Could someone explain the stage choosing process. I’ve read the rules and all that but I’m still unclear on how that works, exactly.

Man it looks like I found out about this too late. Will you be doing this again sometime?

The official process is a bit…complicated…to be sure. Most people have ignored it so far with no real problem as a result, so I haven’t really cracked down on it too hard, but the general way it was supposed to work is this.

For the first match, there are four “starter” stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, and Town & City. The stage for the first match would be chosen by alternating bans; what that means is that the first person bans one stage, the second person bans another stage, and the the first person chooses one of the two remaining stages. The stage chosen is the stage the first match takes place on.

After that, the loser of the preceding match chooses the stage from the entire list (Starters + Counterpicks).

To put that into example form, let’s take a hypothetical example from my match against Indigogeek next round. For the first match, we take turn banning stages. I decide I hate playing on Smashville, so I ban it. Indigo decides he doesn’t want to play me on Battlefield, so he bans Battlefield. I’m left with Final Destination or Town & City for the first match’s stage. I choose Town & City, and we play the first match on Town & City.

Now let’s say Indigo beats me in Game 1. Since I lost Game 1, I get to choose the stage for the next game from the entire list of stages (Starters + Counterpicks). I choose Halberd because I love low ceilings, and I win Game 2. Since Indigo lost Game 2, he gets to pick the stage for the next game, and so on and so forth.

Actually, if you’ve got a Wii U and you’re ready…I could probably talk Pig into giving up that first round bye he got and play you instead. Pig’s certainly on top of his game, though, so you’ll be getting one of the tougher (imo) opponents in the first round. Would you care to join with that in mind?

-MT

If he’s cool with that, I’m totally up for it.

Oh OK. Is the banning process a part of the Wii U version of the game or does that just happen through messaging or whatever?

Although you could also send the messages using the Wii U Gamepad’s microphone.