The Lord of the Rings/ The Hobbit

Tolkien was a man with a momentous imagination. His stories were large epics with many complexities, just like our world today. There are lots of people you don’t remember in history because history is incredibly complex, yet you would not fault history for being so complex would you? Just as you really shouldn’t fault Tolkien for writing a complex epic. It isn’t a fault, because the truth resists simplicity, and Tolkien had written that into his stories, which makes them infinitely more beautiful.

2 Likes

I have a nack for not remembering specific details like years, or names. So thats just my own personal flaw :T

I can’t remember years but I never forget a name :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The Hobbit is a goofier trilogy than the Lord of the Rings, but the Hobbit is also a goofier book than the Lord of the Rings. I was okay with it. I thought it was good, but also that it looked really fake at times. Too much CGI.

1 Like

All in favor of a Christopher Nolan Silmarillion?

I’m not sure if that would be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. XD

Ummm… :expressionless: Okay, sure. Let’s throw money at it.

1 Like

Too much water, 7/10.

1 Like

Speaking of the Silmarillion, are there any other fans of this album out there? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOuu4Rp8hp4&list=PL96F471B5473BDF9E&index=1

I feel you man, I never read the Lord if the Rings books, but I can see your point. As a film buff I understand why the filmmakers did what they did for the movies, but I hate the second Hobbit film with a vengeance.

1 Like

Wow, I never saw your reply until now. :open_mouth:

But yeah, I won’t deny that some things had to be changed/condensed for the movies, but I think they got carried away, especially with the Hobbit. And I hate the second Hobbit as a Tokien fan and as a movie fan. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sir Christopher Lee (Saruman) has died at the age of 93

3 Likes

It’s sad to lose such a great man and actor.

3 Likes

aw, no ;-;

wow how am i just hearing about this? I feel so bad now

In my opinion i think return of the king is the best. It wraps up the series fantastically and has the best affects. yes the ending may be long but it is just showing the viewers what happens to the characters that we have spent so much time getting to know. It is one of my favorite movies and it will always be my favorite conclusion to any story out there.

Edited for Double Post - Slime
sup mr. grahmcracker, ya might wanna give this topic a read :slight_smile:

I wish mass effect ended like this

1 Like

Found this

3 Likes

I like all of the movies…
Yes, even the Hobbit trilogy.
Sue me.

1 Like

You clearly have no idea man. I like his LotR films but “The Hobbit” was a disaste that added too much unnessesary fluff, was loosely accurate to the book, depended too much on CGI (thus it looked awful compared to LOTR).

The Hobbit films felt like a cheap cash grab and it’s insulting.

2 Likes

Oh no. You clearly have no idea.

That’s because The Hobbit incorporated things from other books such as the simerallian. They called the movie “The Hobbit” but it was really all of Tolkien’s works of Middle Earth that aren’t LoTR.

There are many things that can only be done in CGI. What would you suggest they use instead? Do you think you could make a better Dragon using practical effects? Or perhaps you’d like to hire thousands of extras to get your army shots?

The Hobbit movies were anything but cheap, and you can’t call them a cash grab because Peter Jackson wanted to do them back when he made the rest of LoTR. The only reason he didn’t was because he couldn’t get the film rights from the people who made the animated one years prior. A cash grab is something that is made to capitalize on something else’s popularity. The Hobbit was always going to happen, and is likely to be the last we see of Tolkien’s world, Peter Jackson put the effort in to show as much of that world as possible. So yes, strictly speaking, there’s a lot of extra stuff in there. But it’s not random crap people made up to pad the runtime, it’s the incorporation of additional worldbuilding we would likely have never seen otherwise, the fact that you try to characterize this as a lowly cash grab, is what is truly insulting.

Most movies are adapted from books, and this entire topic is about things you’d like to see as movies, this comment could be said about almost anything.

2 Likes