The Punks of Sci-fi

What does everyone think of Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Biopunk and Cyberpunk? Personally, they are some of my favorite genres to invest in.

3 Likes

I only know Steampunk and Cyberpunk, I really like the esthetic of Steampunk. The bronze-color, the open gears, the smoke, it all just looks pretty cool. Cyberpunk is okay, it can be pretty cool sometimes.

1 Like

Speaking from experience, Cyber punk is basically, “Technology solves nothing,” while Steampunk is basic sci-fi but with steam and gears.

The “punk” genre is usually referring to a cynical tone throughout a work. However steampunk is usually referring to just the aesthetic of something.

What I haven’t heard of, however, is Dieselpunk and Biopunk. What are they?

1 Like

Steampunk doesn’t really fit in with all the rest, at least to me. I like all of them except for dieselpunk.

@Trande Dieselpunk us 1910s to 1950s technology becoming advanced, think Fallout and Bioshock. Biopunk is bio engineering becoming advanced. And though Cyberpunk is usually mediated to “technology does nothing”, it’s more just the grungy dystopian sci-fi style now.

@Dr.Doctor I looked it up on Wikipedia, snd Steampunk is considered Sci-fi, but it is vastly different.

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

1 Like

From Google and past discussions, steampunk is if electricity was never used, and so steam tech was all there was. Cyberpunk seems like nineties diners with high tech lights and cars and stuff. Biopunk is like all of this weird gross but also cool mutants, and diesel punk is… yeah, I’m still a little confused about that one.

1 Like

You forget the prevalence of Tesla in Steampunk. And Dieselpunk is a very vast term, meaning anything from hyper advanced WWII to Nuclear Technology taking the forefront.

Have some distinctions between the punks. I have to say I quite enjoy LobsterPunk.

2 Likes

if it existed i’d love a dabpunk

1 Like

NO!<If you put something in parentheses, it won’t appear on the actual reply>

@Traykar Thank you for this.

@HewksDKowlihad What on earth would that be?

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

I was in a steampunk Hamlet.

4 Likes

That sounds…interesting.

3 Likes

It was.

2 Likes

Well, three of my favorite movies are Blade Runner, The Matrix, and (to a lesser degree) Brazil, soooo

(I even liked the first X-Files episode that William Gibson wrote!)

1 Like