The reasons I disliked and Liked Bionicle G2

Gali could have had a bit of improvement. She didn’t look as much like her previous versions as the others did.

2 Likes

Agreed! On the note of tonally dark, did it seem at more than a few points in time that Bionicle G1 was more pg-13 or even 17+ at times?

1 Like

Yes, of course it did! Especially with that one scene in the Ignition comics where Axonn grabs Thok and Reidak and appears to be considering killing them on the spot.

2 Likes

Yeah and several points where characters are flat out crushed or screaming in agony from having their guts shoved into places they should not be, or in detail explaining a characters atoms being flung all over the universe just to name a few lol.

1 Like

Or Vezon and everyone else who get tortured and flung around by the Olmak. Especially AU Tuyet who gets cut in half by a portal.

1 Like

Oh yeah I forgot about that! Yeah it definitely got pretty brutal and dark at times.

1 Like

But that makes it more enjoyable than Ninjago where villains are “defeated” and yet can somehow reappear in later years as much more powerful versions of themselves, to the point that it’s basically a videogame that continues until the theme dies.

3 Likes

Oh yeah for sure! It definitely set Bionicle apart from other Lego brands and stories, I’m actually glad it got dark, it would have been pretty stagnant without it.

Brutaka and Axonn could probably kill any of the bad guys from G2. Brutaka would probably just smash them all, and Axonn would stun them with his lightning and then crush them like he almost did with Thok and Reidak.

And Hydraxon would blow them up with all of his explosives and lock them in the Pit for eternity.

1 Like
  1. Complex issue. Using skulls is not problem for me, but there should be reason why they are there. Skull has such significance to human culture because it is what remains of the head when body rots away. G2 characters do not have skulls. Closest they got is their true faces, which could have similiar associations(when someone lacks mask, they are either weakened, or outright comatose). Also, when taking a concept into Bionicle, it should be modified to fit in.
  2. Yes! Lord of Skull Spiders is not a name, it is a title. And translations of these names were even worse.
  3. Disagree. Having multiple Makuta was not a core part of G1 like for example the sleeping titan, it was just a cool twist that allowed for some interesting characters.
  4. I have no problem with different island name, and Ekimu is different enough to be able to be considered different character entirely. If anything, naming him Arthaka would fit more than naming him Mata Nui. Cool fact: Mata Nui can be translated either as Great Eye, or Great Face. Second translation is more relevant one, hinting at nature of the G1 island.
  5. Yes!
  6. Disagree. G2 sets were interesting. Toa and even Protectors weren’t clones, and there was variety in builds. In both years, we also got Rahi builds.
  7. For me that is not a problem.
  8. If we disregard the terribad joke stuff, only change that felt too drastic was Pohatu. I guess they wanted to make him more like his element, but G1 Pohatu was very friendly, while G2 was complete opposite.
  9. I am not sure.
  10. Yes!

x-x-x

1. Yes!
  2. Yes. G2 Makuta was interesting change in that he was neutral at first. Only after the cataclysm began he became outright evil, and that because of the evil mask.
  3. Yes!
  4. Yes! We got skeletons, four armed humanoid, scorpion made from human bones, Elemental Spirits and Umarak the hunter.
  5. Yes.

As for some of my dislikes and likes:

1. The titles instead of names, and especialy, their translations.
  2. Masks being less universal and lack in villager mask variety. In G1, you could use Toa, Turaga and even Toa Metru masks for Matoran and they looked good. If you attempt to say use Tahu’s mask as a villager mask, it doesn’t fit at all.
  3. The 2015 animations. From horrible voice acting through ugly aesthetics and ridiculously short length, these were not good. And nobody told them that Okoto was supposed to look different in the before time.
  4. The unfitting (and unfunny jokes) in the character bios.
  5. Story was not communicated well. Lack of MNOG equivalent was also bad. MNOG allowed 2001 to drasticaly expand its world.
  6. Good ideas were not expanded upon, and characters were not developed.
  7. Ekimu being the seventh Toa was not a good idea. Why it could not be for example one of the Protectors?

x-x-x

1. Idea of skull creatures. Taking a thing and making it in Bionicle form is good idea in many cases. You could have Bionicle ghosts, zombies, vampires(G1 sort of did this one). Or some sort of Bionicle angel, an emissary from the Great Spirit.
  2. The idea that Toa Stars are actual planets that could be explored later on.
  3. Various shapes of sets, from humanoids we all know, through animals like Element Spirits or LoSS, through antlered Umarak and four armed Skull Slicer to the thing that was the Skull Scorpio.
  4. Bright colors and return of gear functions.
  5. Through Okoto looked strange, there was actualy a reason for that. The island was once much more natural, but the Great Cataclysm divided it into elemental regions.
  6. Having the City of Mask Makers as a red herring concerning advancement of pre-Cataclysm Okoto, making the reveal of the advanced Capital City more surprising. In general, G2 having two Metru Nui counterparts, one less, one more advanced is good idea.
  7. Elemental Creatures/Spirits. G1 had element lords, but G2 made the idea fresh be making their iteration of the concept good guys and animals.
  8. Idea of Ekimu is good one, a mix of Arthaka with Turaga with Mata Nui. Also, Makuta actualy being Ekimu’s brother.
1 Like