The Relationship Topic

Very similar plan for me. I’ve never been in a relationship, and don’t really plan to until a year or so in, or even after, college. Get your life straight. Then work on adding someone else’s life to it.

1 Like

Alright. You have a great family and an amazing friend.
Dude, that’s more than a lot of people in the world have. You’re far from alone. You’ve got them, you’ve got us.
I’m sure that your parents would be willing to help you out in this time of loneliness, and the same goes for your best friend.

Like I’ve said before, this is life’s way of telling you to take it slow and easy. Don’t jump at every chance you have to get a girlfriend. It’s like spending money.
Instead of spending two bucks every time you have two bucks, wait a while and spend much much more.

2 Likes

I think I realized another problem. Not just in the context of romance, but in my social relationships in general.

No one talks to me. I always talk to them. With every friend I’ve ever made, and nearly every conversation I have with anyone outside of work or my home, I’m always the one who initiates the interaction.

No one actively tries to get to know me. No one has ever come up to me for a conversation. The fact that I’m either so forgettable or unnoticeable that uless I make the effort to put myself in front of someone, no one would know me. And even with the friends I have, I’m still always the one who has to initiate interactions, or else they wouldn’t happen…

It’s a pretty troubling realization…

1 Like

I get what you mean. I struggle with this too. Your not alone. I’m lucky because I’m somewhat introverted, so I don’t like talking to people I don’t know.

You just need to stop talking. It’s simple as that. If you feel like your dominating a conversation, then just shut up. It can be hard, but trust me, it’s worth it.

1 Like

No, that isn’t it. It’s not that I dominate a conversation. It’s that if I didn’t make the effort, they wouldn’t happen.

That I’m always the one who has to talk to others. No one ever talks to me. No one ever reaches out. No one ever introduces themself to me. No one tries to get to know me unless I’m talking to them. No one has ever come up to me, and asked me how my day is going just for the sake of it…

I mean granted there are some exceptions, but mostly at home or at work. But those are different environments that operate differently.

But at school, or even texting my friends when I’m at home, I’m always the one who has to make the effort.

In that case, I would maybe try and join an interest group? (I can’t say much here because I’ve never been in one other than Cub Scouts) Meet people who have similar interests? I get what your saying, most people don’t come up and talk to me either, but I’m home-schooled, I’m used to not having lots of people around. I would suggest you try and find some group of people, that share your likes and interests.

That’s just it. The two closest friends I have, we have a lot in common. When we talk it’s clear that they care and enjoy talking to me. Its just frustrating that I’m the one that has to make all of the effort to maintain the relationship.

Though now that I talk about it, maybe it isn’t so bad. It could be a lot worse.

true. You can have no friends. Just hang in there. After all, it could be your friends don’t try because they figure (subconsciously one would hope), that you’ll maintain the connection for them, and if you stop, they would begin to seek you out. Though I don’t suggest an experiment. You might lose some friends that way. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a really nice way to look at it. Thanks.

No problem. Go listen to some peppy music. Take your mind off of it.

I would suggest Hip to be Square by Huey Lewis and the News.

2 Likes

A song I listen to when I’m feeling down is Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve.
It makes the sadness surface, then turns it into happiness as I listen
It’s got me through some tough times.

1 Like

There’s a neat lady I know at the library I work at. I should get to know her better. Any advice my dudes?

3 Likes

Sorry, but nope. Be nice? I’m not an expert in romantic relationships.

Get to know her

4 Likes

Just talk to her. Introduce yourself.

If you want a woman to fall in love with you, feed her poetry. Never fails.

6 Likes

Hello. I’d like to present you evidence that this isn’t the case. Exhibit A) me. It didn’t work when I tried.

1 Like

Again. Just talk to them. Even if you have to mentally brute force yourself into starting a conversation, it’ll be worth it. That’s how I met one of my two current irl friends. I wanted to get to know her, so I walked up to her, and just talked to her. Granted that first conversation was pretty awkward, but since then we’ve been pretty good friends.

1 Like

That’s me with pretty much all my friends.
I’m pretty shy and antisocial.

maybe that’s why nobody likes me.

1 Like

Instructions unclear, built sun-like nuclear energy device that is endangering New York.

I’m certain it’ll stabilize.

7 Likes