How did Makuta affect the sea of protodermis in LoMN?

In Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui Makuta uses the liquid protodermis against the Toa. I didn’t want to put this in the #askGreg category because I am sure, he maybe has answered that question already, but I couldn’t find it.
Here is the question: Which powers did Makuta use to affect the Protodermis?
My only guess is that it may be magnetism, but I honestly don’t know. Can anybody help?

1 Like

It could likely be done with gravity manipulation? I believe that’s a Kraata Power, I’d have to look it up tho to be sure.

Edit: Yes, Gravity is a Kraata Power, Also so is Cyclone. He could likely have used either of those.

3 Likes

It is probably cyclone or gravity, as was previously stated. Besides, liquid protodermis, as found in the sea, isn’t a metal, or at least isn’t effected by known metal effecting powers.

1 Like

I didn’t know about that. I thought protodermis is just a metal in liquid, solid, plasma or energized form.

Thank you both for your replies.:blush:

Yep! Though from what I recall, ga-metru scientists were able to synthesize Energized protodermis from liquid protodermis, but don’t quote me on that.

1 Like

They were trying but never succeeded.
Metru Nui - City of Legends, page 7:
“Although samples of this[Energized Protodermis] have been provided to Ga-Metru schools for study, no one has ever succeeded in discovering its properties or duplicating it.”

I’m not sure how cyclone or gravity can make pillars appear from the sea?

1 Like

Localized little circles of altered Gravity making the water float up?

In all reality, it was probably just creative license on behalf of the Storyboard team working on the film and not necessarily any specific Rahkshi power…

but those two are the closest I can come to explaining it.

1 Like

I guess you are right, but still it clashes with the continuity when Makuta uses something that looks like telekinesis without him having that kind of powers. I just hoped that there was a plausible explanation added to the canon.
I mean, even Makuta’s weird fighting style against Vakama was explained so it could fit in the continuity of Teridax’s character.
Then again, telekinesis would have been slightly overpowered, even for Makuta.

We do know Teriyaki was able to hack into the control system for the island of Mata Nui and use the natural landscape to attack the Toa (making storms, chasms, etc). Perhaps he was doing something similar here?

1 Like

I mean, telekinesis is basically the loss of gravity on a certain object. We’ve seen Nuhvok Kal use this in the Comics and Mini Videos.

1 Like

He could be using weather control.
@Racie02, when was this stated? I always thought he was just using his normal powers to create the natural disasters.

1 Like

The camouflage systems which created the island could be used to manipulate its environment. During the Great War, Teridax learned how to access and control this system, and used it to make the natural forces of the island attack the Matoran and the Toa Mata.

Source:

From the ask Greg on the LMBs; unfortunately, has not been resourced since the LMBs went down.

2 Likes

The weather is due to the Great Cataclysm, I believe. I think this is about how Makuta were able to create pillars of protodermis out of the sea.

As for controlling the island of Mata Nui:

2 Likes

aren’t the chutes just liquid protodermis that keep shape/move things because of magnetism?
so, would magnetism work then?

1 Like