The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna

As if things couldn’t get worse…

But hey, nice to see Takua again huh? Lemme tell ya, balancing the blue and the red in his color scheme was NOT easy. I had to experiment a lot, hence why this is going up later in the day than I wanted it to.

Watcha guys think of Vakama’s new design? I made his arms look sorta like his Toa Metru body, since the old arms were… well, basically elbow macaroni.

Also pretty happy with how Takua’s “face” turned out, since these masks kinda have to be drawn as a surrogate for that.

This whole scene kinda makes me hear this in my head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9YaEicJbzo

I’m really hoping this comic starts to resonate with old Bionicle fans.

11 Likes

Is Tahu’s last line a reference to them meeting Takua in Karda Nui?

I don’t wanna give that away, but… let’s just say this story will make reference to events well beyond the scope of the 2001-3 story, but in ways that make sense at the time and won’t complicate the story as presented.

So you’re just going to be focusing on the events from the Toa’s arrival on Mata Nui to the first defeat of Makuta Teridax?

Yes, but it’s not as simple as beat-for-beat recreating the MNOG story. It’s going to have a much more concrete ending.

You had mentioned that earlier, I just didn’t know how long you were planning on having this go.

I just can’t answer that now.

And I understand that; knowing a story is going to end soon can be just as much of a spoiler as how it actually ends, in my opinion. Takes away some options. Sorry if I’m being difficult.

Look at Lewa, getting that kind of attention and just eating it up. Haha You know that bit in “Elf” where Buddy (Will Ferrel’s character) keeps getting handed flyers and saying thank you? That’s basically how I imagine Lewa’s delivery sounding here.

The last panel’s depiction of Onu-Koro was inspired by this amazing piece that just…

Oooogh, look at that. Beautiful. As soon as I saw it I had to feature it in this story. Great work, FotusKnight.

As for Onua’s line… Who here can relate?

(I can’t help hearing it said in his synthesized “Reviving Bionicle” voice.)

11 Likes

Everyone having a good time while Tahu is dying. Lovely.

RIP Tahu.

2 Likes

Don’t count him out just yet.

8 Likes

Oh Vakama, always the mask maker.

1 Like

In the next panel Tahu wakes up, sees he has been tied up, panics, and then burns the entire forest during his escape.

1 Like

You don’t say…?

Mini Visorak? Oooh boy. Time for some mind games.

9 Likes

Tahu looks like he is going to use Genjutsu Sharingan on all of them.

1 Like

Ooooooh boy. Yeah, I know I said this wouldn’t be a beat-by-beat retelling of MNOG, but you can probably see where this scene is going.

8 Likes

Then finds Kapura, and learns the ways of the slow fast.

2 Likes

You don’t say?

Kapura’s so chill. Almost got toasted on one side, and he’s so cool about it.

I find these moments are funnier if you imagine the characters speaking with synthesized voices, like in Reviving Bionicle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT7382Z12OQ

10 Likes

You’re really hitting the right atmosphere for early G1 while clearly nodding towards the rest of the continuity here, great job man!

1 Like

Thanks! Here’s another page.

Mata Nui compels you!!

8 Likes