The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna

So wait, does that mean that Mata Nui’s face is punctured? How did Metru Nui rise up like that? Of course, if this is to yet be answered, I can wait.

It’s surprisingly close to the surface, I wonder how that translates to Mata Nui’s head? Or perhaps we are going to get a Mata Nui-Metru Nui hybrid island?

It was basically pushed out through his mouth. Usually, it’d be much further north.

1 Like

I mean, it wasn’t as simple as the surface falling away. The city was raised to the surface. But yeah, we’re getting a hybrid. It’s the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

everyone at the fair when it starts to rain
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 2.45.36 PM
thats all I could think of while looking at that (its because I work with/for relatives at county fairs during the summer)

6 Likes

When I saw the earth cracking open I was expecting a lot worse than that. This is a really cool idea, though. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone suggest something like it before.

2 Likes

Yup. She was in a canister the whole time.

Did she turn into a Bohrok, being in there for so long? If she did, Mata Nui’s last act seems to have cured her, and the rest of the Matoran.

So, uh… yeah. Mata Nui’s kinda gone forever now. The last of the GSR’s systems were bricked by that stunt just now. But… at least the Matoran are okay.

10 Likes

This does make me wonder what happens to the existing Bohrok, the already awake ones…

They got better.

…All save that one the Toa found mid-transformation. A couple people actually worried that THAT was Hahli.

5 Likes

The Toa stand triumphant, Takua among their ranks. He may not be a Toa, but he was always a hero.

Doesn’t mean other villagers don’t get to be Toa, though! We’ve got Inika, we’ve got Nuva, we’ve got so many Toa running around it’s… kinda making Takua self-conscious.

15 Likes

something bad is going to happen i feel it and after all of this i feel like were on the last step on the journey

This is really nice, the amalgamation of different years and concepts make these pages really cool. But for some reason I feel an underlying sense of fear…I thought the story was wrapping up but maybe there’s more to come?

You’ll see soon.

2 Likes

This… is a lot to take in.

14 Likes

Well… there it is. The End.

What did you think? What did you feel?

21 Likes

This was one of if not the best BIONICLE AUs and story I seen in a long time and sequel teasing at the end that means we not done in this universe yet and that means 09 retelling now boys

2 Likes

NGL, not as strong as I’d hoped it would be. Ackar was… Spooky.

The final wordless pages were good and sturdy, however. Especially the last three; very cinematic.

I do have ideas for a sequel that’s all about the Glatorian much the way this was about the Toa, no involvement from Mata Nui, but that’s gonna be another giant comic in itself. This comic has drained me, so I won’t get to that for at least a couple years.

4 Likes

And so this comic ends more or less how it began, this time leaving the planet.

I felt many things over the course of making this. I started it in 2017, dropped it 24 pages in to change gears to releasing and promoting Planet Ripple’s first few volumes, picked it up again TWO YEARS LATER last August, and finished it one August and over 200 pages later.

What a weird timeline.

I’ve been a Bionicle junkie from the beginning. Several times over the last coupla’ decades, I’ve tried to make a Bionicle fancomic, even posting a few attempts on the internet, but I stopped every time just a few pages in. The Toa came THIS CLOSE >< to staying in limbo forever, like all the others.

I’m kinda glad I didn’t go full steam ahead in 2017 because I learned a few things during those two years. Well, three now. Things about Bionicle I never knew, my own connection to it, other peoples’ connection. The journey that was the Bionicle-themed Lego Rewind series finale and the outpouring of nostalgia that came from that. If I had continued at the time, I can guarantee you the resulting comic wouldn’t be nearly as solid. Was it worth the wait? Well… for me it was. It’s the Bionicle story I’ve wanted to make as long as the original existed, but wasn’t able to for the longest time. I wasn’t able to say something ABOUT it the way I was here. You could hear me say as much when TTV interviewed me in 2014. That’s why I called this “The Toa” and not Bionicle Neo or Bionicle Resurrected or whatever. It’s not just 2001 again, it’s not just my emulating something I like, trying to capture it in amber. It’s a final, declarative statement about what these characters mean to me, right down to Takua’s breakdown kinda of mirroring the… textured experience of being a Bionicle fan, and Tahu’s speech giving some much needed validation.

I walked into this asking myself, “Say, what IF you only had the one year to tell a story, like originally planned? What parts from other years would you keep, what parts would be left out?” and most importantly, how do I make this a Bionicle experience that even someone who ISN’T a Bionicle fan can enjoy? How do I streamline the jargon and lore to be easier to understand? Even with all the twists in the final act, I did my best to keep it from getting out of hand. I just wanted to make the most complete and succinct Bionicle experience I could…

And now it’s done. It’s something I can cross off my writer’s bucket list.

So… yeah, I hope you had a good time with this one! Thanks for reading.

Feedback is… well, it’s more appreciated now than ever. This comic kicked the crud out of me, everybody.

13 Likes

Wonderful job. I agree with Ghid in the sense that things seemed like they were moving too quickly at the end, but I suppose that was the point. I don’t think we necessarily needed a tour of Metru Nui or anything, it just would’ve been nice to have a slightly longer transition from Takua’s confident attitude into his current, somewhat unsure self. The ending itself is great (especially since the Toa who Takua had to talk sense into at the very beginning is doing the same thing for him in the end), but it feels like there’s a few pages that are missing.

As a whole, though, I thought this comic was amazing. You captured all of the most important themes of Bionicle while going more in depth into the characters than the original line did at times. Comparing the earlier panels to the more recent ones, even though you pretty much have the same art style, you’ve developed a better command over it. The designs felt like a good representation of what these biomechanical beings would actually look like, and I like how you modified the designs of some characters to fit the story more (like how the Shadow Toa are influenced by aspects of Makuta’s design and how the Nuva look more like their Mata forms).

I didn’t get to finish my senior year in person because of Covid, and I never got to say goodbye to a lot of my friends because of that. I just started college today, but I’m doing it at home since it’s online (and will be for at least a semester), so it doesn’t feel real. Not even taking into account other bad things that happened over the course of the past school year, I can just relate so strongly to Takua when he feels like all that he’s been working towards has been for nothing. When Tahu reminds Takua that meaning comes through what you do and not a perceived reward, and to take things slow if you need to, that just means so much to me. This comic couldn’t have ended at a more perfect time in my life.

8 Likes