The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna

Have said it before but must say it again. These are really amazing!

Can’t wait 'til next page comes out.

1 Like

Well… That was referring to Tahu being the Toa I’d fire. Get it? Hot?

…sigh. I’m sorry.

I’ve been leaning full swing into the Reviving Bionicle style of writing. Those skits are largely what inspired me to jump into this. It gave me an alternative view of the characters. But, I know it’s not for everybody.

I mean… I hope I’ve at least done a decent job not making the toa all feel like the exact same character. Even the matoran, for the one scene many of them will have. Matoro being curious and wanting to try new things, Kopeke being timid, Kongu’s questioning things about their existence, Tamaru the believer shooting down his skepticism, Hafu and Taipu basically being the Fred and George of this world… but I get that it’s far from enough.

2 Likes

It’s good for me. as long as Kopaka and Pohatu stay friends, I’ll be happy. (I’d stick around even if that isn’t preserved)

They will be, though it’ll be a little different from Kopaka’s side. I basically made him autistic. He can’t really hide his concern for others but he has trouble communicating that without coming off like a clod. And before anyone asks, I am autistic myself. I’ve made several books about the subject.

1 Like

Cool beans! I kinda like it.

don’t take this the wrong way, but it seems like there are an awful lot of autistic people in the Bionicle community?

It’s more the context than anything else, at least for some of it. The Turaga scene’s a riot, but it’d feel more at home in a parody on the series

or at least a little standalone skit

than in a straightforward retelling, where it feels kinda out-of-place.

And hey, if stuff like the Kongu bit are meant to be genuine character moments and not just one-off jokes, more power to you. I hope you have fun expanding on it.

Yeah… maybe I didn’t communicate effectively enough that the Turaga haven’t actually sat down and talked for a LONG time, and they’re just now having to get “the legend” straight because they’ve all gotten used to telling it differently. In other words, wrong.

As for the Kongu, the major theme of this story will be the matoran’s faith in their “God” being shaken as they learn all the things we did of him being a giant robit an stuff. I didn’t want to address that this early, but I guess I have to…

1 Like

I honestly kinda felt something like that coming.

Take it at your own pace. As long as there’s enough method to the madness that we get some steady buildup to this widespread shaken faith, it’ll all be good.

Just don’t leave the Toa in the thematic dust along the way.

That’s another thing about the jokes. Maybe no one else feels this way, but to me Takua’s “I’m having a crisis of faith right now” line felt it was trying to be, y’know, funny.

But you’re using it as setup for this existential gut-punch later so just, I dunno, be weary of the tonal tightrope you’re walking here. That’s all.

Well… it is, in a “funny cause it’s true” sorta way. Takua is being authentic, but the sheer absurdity, the spectacle of a lil’ red and blue alien robo dude opening up about something so “real” as a crisis of faith over his savior being incompetent, is inherently hilarious regardless of what tone I’m going for. And in Takua’s case, endearing. He’s a “mood”, as the kids would say. You’re right to describe it as a tightrope.

2 Likes

Aaahhhhh, set design.

We’re about 40 pages in and we’re JUST NOW going to have “The Legend” spelled out for us that would usually play at the beginning.

This comic probably isn’t going the way people expected, huh?

6 Likes

Not bad. Nokama’s arms though…

Never forget.

2 Likes

I didn’t say they weren’t set accurate, the’re just kinda creepy, and don’t even look similar to the other turaga’s.

Oh, I meant for them to be creepy. That’s the gag.

2 Likes

Okay. i guess I just didn’t get it.

It was fun getting to draw the giant head.

will matau have circuit eyebrows?
lol

yes please!

1 Like