The Toa Hagah: Teridax’s Equals (BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)

“We need Makuta Teridax found.”

“Why us?” asked Iruini.

“You’ve fought him before. You’ve beaten him before,” Helryx replied.

— Dwellers in Darkness

The group shot is based on Randy Elliot’s iconic Comic Book cover:

Here’s a Stud.io screenshot for height comparison:

And the link to the Model:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16BCPlhxcIZnXl0-673xfD-nzJAmoe-NK/view

A few notes on the design philosophy I’ve been implementing:
I’ve been attempting to make these designs so that all six Hagah have an equally-proportioned number of leg/arm shapes, shoulder armor shapes, chest armor shapes, and metallic colors spread throughout the whole team.
The way I’ve proportioned these ratios out in the current version is as follows:

With these chart, :arrow_up: I’ve played a sudoku game of sorts where an item can only appear once in each column and only twice in each row (save for which piece of each team member is in black, and which year each member’s spear tip comes from, and which metallic color each teammate has, as these categories can each pop-up twice in the team design).
Below are some renders of my current chart in a more visual format:

And the Kanohi:

![image|690x321]
Gaaki’s Kanohi is based on this mask from the prototype Inika designs (There’s no Shapeways file it, yet, though, as no vendors there have yet sculpted it):
IMG_9647

Pouks’s Kanohi is based on this mask from the prototype Inika designs:

Bomonga’s Kanohi is based on this mask from the prototype Inika designs:

I give consent for my mask(s) to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes for Gaaki, Pouks, & Kualus, but No for Bomonga)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (No)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (No)

Special thanks @KINGSIDORAK and his contacts, @Galva_Nize, and @Vahki6 for the kanohi files, and to my awesome family for their amazing support.

22 Likes

I like that you used the prototype Inika masks!

5 Likes

Thank you!:smiley: :+1:

I thought it would be nice to have elements that the Bionicle Team designed get make it into canon. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The mask you used for Pouks exists in the stud.io Galvapack, btw:

Here’s a link to the latest version of the pack: Reddit - Dive into anything

7 Likes

I like how you took inspiration from the prototypes, nice work.

1 Like

Most of the other entries submit complex designs at the cost of losing homogeneity, which in my opinion is unnecessary; here you achieved that classic look by just using contemporary pieces, and 3 of the masks you used were from official protoypes, which gives a certain “canon” flavor to the whole aspect of the Toas.

My favorite entry so far. Good luck!

4 Likes

Great job!

1 Like

LoL, I made a typo in this chart.
Gaaki’s Black Piece should be listed as “waist” and Bomonga’s as “Gearbox Cover/Everything”.

Also, Iruini has orange eyes, not red.

1 Like

Thanks for spotting that,- I should’ve listed Pouks’s eyes as red, too. :+1:

Also, the link I gave seems to be having issues, but this one should work:

1 Like

Great work! :+1:

I really hope this one wins! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks man!:+1:

This… is… AWESOME!!! :+1:

So many of these other entries seem to all blend together as a sea of Stud.io renders, but yours truly stands out visually! And even though Perp3tual’s artwork may have gained plenty of attention, I think his videogame-concept-art-esque style and more greebly designs are better suited to the Artakha contest (which he did do a good job at), but your entry has the advantage of keeping all the Hagah’s builds as ones that believably fit-in with official 2005 sets, and I think it will have a part in securing you the win (which I’m calling you will). :+1:
Also, nice idea basing the artwork on the comics!

Ditto.

And a ditto to this, too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliments! :smiley: :+1:
I’m looking forward to seeing how the polls go, and how this entry does in the running, being one of the (I think less than ten) art entries in this contest.
One of my goals was to keep the entry within the parameters of what made sense within canon, and then going from there, to make each one unique while still keeping the team cohesive. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think the art style you used is quite nostalgic. Reminds me of the earlier BIONICLE graphic novels which I enjoyed reading when they came out. I think the characters look fantastic! Especially the red one. Excellent work! Hope you win!

1 Like

How do I vote in these contests? I’m new here.

2 Likes

You still have to wait. There will be a new topic where you can vote.

2 Likes

Once the admins finish setting up the polls, you’ll be able to vote.

5 Likes

here’s a model of the mask for you:
proto hahli v3_3 2
proto hahli v3_2 2

6 Likes

Thank you so much! :+1:
This is awesome!:smiley:

1 Like