The Truth About Elemental Powers (Theory)

Everything is made of atoms
Atoms are everywhere
Take atoms and make something
Troll science rules again

That’s your theory? Well, that doesn’t make much sense. To make a mineral out of air you will have to spend so much energy you better just shoot this amount at your enemy, he will be incinerated with a big patch of environment, trust me.

I think it’s already established that elements are made of energy and turn into enery when absorbed. Either when creating fire or the matter and atoms like stone, you create them with energy.

2 Likes

Except that’s not exactly how Toa power works. They generate fire/water/whatever and throw it at enemies. Their elemental energies are what allow them to summon their element-or, according to my theory, create it out of the loose, free-form atomic particles that are floating around in the air.

You… don’t know the canon, right? There’s literal elemental blast as basic attack which is the simplest elemental move. It is a pure elemental energy. It literally is energy that becomes your element. That’s basis of elemental power usage. Elemental power controls existing element or it becomes element, which is more costy. Or element becomes energy and can be absorbed like Vakama did with excessive heat once. That’s how it is.

The second option is kind of what my theory is about: it’s about how exactly the Toa are “creating” their elements out of nothing.

But as far as the elemental blasts are concerned, I’m not sure how much of that is “elemental energy.” We see Tahu throwing fireballs, Gali shooting jets of water, and Kopaka summoning spikes of ice to throw at people-much like Elsa or Frozone. And, of course, there’s Takanuva firing beams of light. They’d need elemental energies to do that, sure, but what they actually throw at people seems to be based in their actual “element.”

You’re not sure because you didn’t dive into the subject and check Greg Quotes. Do you really think nobody tried to explain officially how works the power used constantly throughout the 10 years and 30+ books, comics, sets in the very end.

Why would anyone even need to explain “officially” how the elemental powers work? It was established early on that each Toa has a designated “element” that allows them to create or control that element through elemental energy that they possess. That’s pretty much all there is to explain about where they get their powers from. And what their powers can actually do is frequently demonstrated throughout the series. We see Toa using their powers to fight enemies, help Matoran, and just make everyday tasks easier.

The purpose of this theory that I proposed is to offer a different take on what’s been given to us, and explain how it is that Toa can seemingly create their elements out of nothing.

Then it’s not a theory. Fanon or headcanon, though former fits more. It’s tge key mechanic that element can be the energy and energy can be the element. It bypasses the atomic concept of matter completely.

Again, if you use our understanding of science for this, the creation of atoms takes so much power you literally could make a thermonuclear explosion easier than a splash of water.

That doesn’t need to be explained because it never happens. They create their elements out of elemental energy. Simple as that.

Do we need to derail this much more? It was a good discussion before it turned into “This topic has it completely wrong. Let’s fix this despite the author’s attempts to inform you of the facts.” Whether it’s fandom, headcanon, retcon, or what have you, this is not trying to supersede “official sources”. It’s just one person’s attempt to explain elemental powers via science.

3 Likes

Except Bionicle takes extreme liberties with real-world science. If we’re being realistic, Pohatu should be creating sonic booms every time he uses his Kakama.

1 Like

How is talking about his theory derailment? He’s talking about using real-world science to explain elemental power, and we’re discussing it.

That’s my exact point. Bionicle physics are not our physics. And we don’t know how much different they are.

It could be like the difference between delivery pigeon and telegraph. The result you’ll see of them is the same — mail delivered on your desk. But the nuances of their work are in fact making them completely different.

Good point; if you could just point out the specifics of exactly how Bionicle physics work, we can adjust the discussion accordingly.

Not knowing is a part of appeal. Like in early years we didn’t know what was happening in actuality, now we have only vague understanding of what laws do they have there.

We know that black holes are not formed without a whole lot of mass and will destroy planets if appear, but gravity powers of Bohrok Kal were able to do it without those results. On Spherus Magna chunks people survived, then the moons were brought back, ocean of Aqua Magna didn’t flood everything. The planet itself was formed unnaturaly with the big biomes. Tge energy that takes physical form so fast and easy. It all suggests it’s all pretty different.

Black holes won’t “destroy planets” if they appear. If my fridge suddenly turned into a black hole, it will have the same mass and gravitational effect as it did as a fridge. It won’t do anything until it evaporates - then it’ll cause some problems as it explodes. But black holes themselves aren’t inherently that dangerous. They’re just really weird.|

Anyway, we know that Bionicle physics are not our physics. But the entire point of this thread is trying to explain Bionicle with our physics. Stop derailing the conversation with this non-information.

2 Likes

Your fridge can’t turn into black hole, that’s the problem. Its mass is nothing. When you manage to gather so much mass in one place, be absolutely sure Earth type planet around will soon be gone.

1 Like

Any object can hypothetically become a black hole if it is compressed enough.

1 Like

I don’t think so. There will probably be some different result like the energy bursts that will loosen the pressure or objects that we didn’t bother to explain.

The minimum mass of tiniest black hole is estimated in most positive cases to be much, much more than of a fridge. And it also will probably be gone very fast and do nothing, so the burst of energy is all you will see, again. Of course to be sure you need the empirical material, and they say it could change fundamental laws if the fridge actually somehow can be the black hole even if you compress it to the atomic size. But current laws forbid that.

Hey, uh maybe create a new topic to talk about blackholes, this is kinda off topic in this one.

2 Likes