The TTV Podcast 153 Discussion Topic

I did say this guys :wink:

seriously, I think that’s where we’ll get most of our world building

This will be awesome and I can’t wait to get it.

But I do wish that the culture and such was more well rounded into the story verse just having a book that tells us. Like have animations of the villages, go more in depth in the rest of the media and not just one source.

Totally buying that book though!

1 Like

well there are “maps and myths” in the graphic novel, so should be something else

feels like the graphic novels are really just meant for world building

my only gripe with that is that it should’ve come out earlier in the year

1 Like

That’s what I’m banking on to be the saving grace of everything G2. If it turns out to be what I think it will be, it will be the greatest thing aver.

For sure. Sometimes, I feel like I make myself perfectly clear, but I will admit that I get myself into the great majority of my own turmoil. Also, thanks! :smiley:

As I said in the episode, basic logic and deduction has been used for the last few months to determine where exactly the place is located. Don’t get me wrong, clarification is great, and I’m happy we got it (a fact which I’m probably going to stress next episode), but it doesn’t go towards filling my self-imposed landmark quota. :stuck_out_tongue:

-Mesonak

2 Likes

well the book seems like it’ll be good,

we’ve also got Revenge of LoSS coming out afterwards, and another graphic novel coming out early next year, so at least next year will start off better 8P

I really wish this year would have started off with one ;-; as an artist, having a graphic novel would be cool to convey story IMO.

1 Like

I agree with that so much, maybe that’s next year will start off with a graphic novel

1 Like

Oh yeah the book is great, no denying that, but I think the graphic novel (or the Protectors’ Guide, at least) will end up providing all the necessary world-building that people are clamoring for without shoehorning it in and ruining the storytelling in the actual books…

…or, at least, that’s my dream scenario.

-Mesonak

3 Likes

yeah, that sounds great, and seems like it is most likely what’ll happen

it’s mine too man

1 Like

I think the reason why they released the book this late is because wave 2 is in the book. Its like releasing next years story now.

personally, if I was in charge, I would’ve released a graphic novel first so we have all the world building from the get go

1 Like

i would have done the same but i would also split island of the lost masks into two parts:
Wave 1 and wave 2.
That way then i would release wave 1 early then wave 2 now

1 Like

yes, yes to all of that, maybe “Island of Lost Masks” and then “Shadow of Kulta” or something like that

1 Like

Were you not saying that inferring information doesn’t count though? Does this point suddenly not matter when it’s in your favor?

2 Likes

“Don’t get me wrong, clarification is great, and I’m happy we got it”

Clarification is the preferred method over having to guess things yourself. It’s a point in the books favor. However, I’m saying the Temple of Time’s location isn’t some great and awe-inspiring revelation because most people already figured it out. It’s still a reveal, but one without a lot of… power behind it. At least the Village thing was new information. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I suppose a more fair way to look at this situation would be that the Temple of Time and the Village thing aren’t outstandng infromation on their own, but put them together and they’re pretty schway.

-Mesonak

1 Like

Yes but you refuted our points regarding the culture of Okoto because most of the details regarding said culture were inferred from the context of the information being delivered. Your claim was that they didn’t count because none of the info was stated outright, however now it seems that that despite the location of the Temple of Time being inferred- that now counts as actual information?

Suddenly the concrete and legitimate details being presented are no longer relevant or meaningful… because some fans guessed where it might be located before?

It’s just funny how convenient this whole “clarification is necessary!” argument is for you. On one hand, LEGO needs to outright say what they mean, but on the other it’s perfectly okay if they don’t.

You seem to rank everything under whether it left a good impression on you or not, which isn’t a fair way to assess the information being presented- at least not in the arguments you’re trying to make.
It’s one thing to make the claim that the culture that’s been presented thus far hasn’t been significant- but it’s a completely different thing to deny it’s existence entirely. The fact of the matter is that we know more about life on Okoto in just a few pages from this book then we did prior to it’s release. Regardless of it’s impact on you- it’s still incite on the culture.
But since it’s not exactly what you’re looking for you’re denying the fact that it’s culture entirely; which simply isn’t true. Just as you are doing for the landmarks of Okoto.

The information doesn’t have to be surprising, extraordinary, or even interesting for it to count as incite. We can infer that the Villagers of Okoto have some form of hierarchy based off the fact that there appear to be positions of power in place: The Protectors and the Mask Makers. However we don’t know if that’s truly the case until we’re told that. If at some point the book confirms that- then awesome! We were right!

But guess what? That’s still new incite on Okotian culture! Just because it didn’t shock our expectations doesn’t mean it isn’t new information.
It doesn’t just get discounted because we were able to guest-imate it before it was confirmed.

“Don’t get me wrong, clarification is great, and I’m happy we got it”

Clarification is the preferred method over having to guess things yourself. It’s a point in the books favor."

That’s all I really feel the need to say on that matter. I don’t feel that the “Multiple villages” thing has enough substance behind it to be considered a point in the books favor at this current time (having only seen a fraction of the book) because there has actually been a BIONICLE precedent before where a village completely wiped out and it was the singular village of its kind (Tajun). You can infer the intent, sure, but it’s not explicitly stated and as such I don’t count it until such a time where it is confirmed. It’s a very different beast to the Temple of Time, where there really wasn’t any room for doubt in its location. All the confirmation did was… confirm it. There wasn’t any question or doubt, there wasn’t any uncertainty… everybody kinda… knew it already. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s not MEANINGFUL, clarification is good, as I said. As I elaborate on a little later, though, the location of the Temple of Time is such a different thing from what I was actually arguing I just don’t consider it relevant information to my points. :stuck_out_tongue:

Look, the information we received in Island of Lost Masks (thus far) does not fit my expectation of what “culture” entails. Is that a personal problem and not something that should be counted against the book? Probably, I can admit that much. Am I using an incorrect definition? Possibly. But knowing there’s a fortress “village”… somewhere… that was probably only established post-Skull Spider invasion doesn’t count in my mind as any insight into Okotian culture and/or lifestyle whatsoever because it’s not their lives. It’s defending themselves when they’re under attack. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that people do that; you’d have a better time winning me over to your side, honestly, if you argued the fact that the villagers use spears is a part of their culture. THAT I actually agree with and am willing to concede.

Culture to me would entail the following:

• Jobs that villagers have
  • Okotian currency
  • Recreational activies and/or sports
  • Preferred weaponry (spears)
  • Beliefs
  • Day-to-day lives
  • Designs of villages and homes (best conveyed through visual media)
  • Transportation
  • Language (which we got, TECHNICALLY inside the book’s pages so again, that’s a better argument to make)

etc. etc. I’m not upset or angry that the book doesn’t have this information; I actually like what we got in the way of the segment with Nilkuu, Pohatu, and Bingzak fighting off Skull Spiders at the defense fort. I thought it was a good scene! It just does not fit my self-imposed criteria.

Also, the only reason I keep bringing up the Temple of Time is because the location of a landmark getting confirmed =/= a landmark getting confirmed. What I said on the episode that one time was that “Landmarks on Okoto” was one of my prerequisites for the book. I said nothing about “Locations of already existing landmarks” and I find it pretty difficult to believe that based upon the context of what I was discussing, anyone would assume that’s what I meant instead of new locations. You feel the need to argue some of the things I said even though it’s irrelevant because 2/4 of them were correct automatically making the book a success in my eyes.

I’m not a hater of the book; I just don’t think it’s perfect. It doesn’t have to be, either; perfection does not dictate quality writing, and there are many more books to come. Plus, the information I want will likely be included in the graphic novel, so I’m not bitter in the least. :stuck_out_tongue:

-Mesonak

1 Like

Once again you seem to think just because the information leaves no impact on you suddenly discounts it. Sure you can guess what their life is like all you want- you’re right you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to know they need to defend themselves. But that doesn’t suddenly mean it isn’t part of their lives. I don’t really understand why you keep trying to separate the two.

It’s not like being attacked is a rare occurance. They are under constant attack all the time. To the point that they are forced to set up outposts around the perimeter of their regions, have pre-determined hiding locations in case of attacks, villages are destroyed, and the regions top warriors are forced to convene so that they can summon mythical heroes they know nothing about outside of whispered legend passed down from generations.

Defending themselves is their day-to-day life. Constantly being in conflict and organizing their society around defense is part of their culture.

They literally had to abandon the main hub of their civilization and reconstruct their lives due to being attacked. What makes you think that their jobs, currency, recreation, and beliefs are not directly tied to their struggles.

Getting incite on what they need to do to survive is absolutely incite on their culture. And this is information we were presented within the first 10 pages of the book. Much of which we did not know prior (outposts, weapons, multiple villages, defenses).

And I truly don’t think Tajun is an accurate comparison. There is no way to read this book and assume there is only one village of jungle. Nilkuu explicitly asks Bingzak why he isn’t at the nearest village, not THE village. It’s completely absurd to assume the entire Jungle population was enslaved by LoSS and Nilkuu’s only reaction is “sorry, that sucks”.
This would be a bigger deal. And Vizuna would have known about it otherwise.

2 Likes

[Watches @Mesonak’s and @IllustriousVar’s conversation]

PO-LI-TICS! PO-LI-TICS!

2 Likes

Ok, then what about Ta-Koro? Don’t forget about Ta-Koro.

Let’s assume, then, that the villagers do not have a specific element, like Matoran do, and they live in whatever village they please. Is it possible that Nilkuu would not know what village Bingzak came from? Hence the words nearest village; after all, Nilkuu was lost. He possibly had no idea what the nearest village was.

Vizuna left to go to the temple of time.

I fail to see how you got that conclusion.

2 Likes