The Winter Traveler: a Community journey

Ok, this is a game that i have been thinking of for some time.

the story follows a small snow figure called the “Winter Traveler”, who as the main part of the game is, travels, the members on the board have the option of different roads to take in the Winter Travelers journey, and with each road, the more of the story they can add or work with. Its like a chose your own adventure, exept you can only chose one road at a time and each member on the board will not only add a new part of the story but also need roads for other members to take, thus the story keeps on expanding as we all take the journey through a winter land and see different places and events play out at our choosing.

but there are a few things that i want to begin with first. First off is that this is what “Winter Traveler” looks like:

its not perfect but it you see the design, and yes it is based on my own avatar, but my avatar is used as the design for the Snowoners, a Complien i made for Complipedia, so this being is not me nor based on me.
but anyway in order to not make a good number of choises impossible to happend, im going to let the Winter Traveler be able to survive in warmer temperatures and also in water, because if some members would write in that the Winter Traveler where to meet a companion who needs warmth, then it only makes sence for the Winter Traveler to help them with that, or a different scenario would be for the Winter Traveler to find a sunken ship under a frozen layer of water, which a member could say that Winter Traveler had fallen into, duo to the weak ice that the path was made out off.

so about Companions, its something that i am allowing for members to add in to the story, because there are many people and creatures that one can meet in a snowy region, so who is to say that a scenario like the one with Matoro finding Takua in the snow in MNOG could not happen here too. Anyway, a Companion’s fate is however not tied to Winter Traveler, so depending on the member, a companion could at some point in the story leave Winter Traveler, ither by dying from cold, or by staying with someone they know of or get to know later on in the story.

Winter Traveler however is the only one who’s story won’t end, because there is a special rule that i have been thinking of just in case a mod desides to close the game down at some future point in time. That rule being that if they would close the game down, they must give the ending to Winter Traveler, because i don’t want the story to just end abruptly, so if a mod would say that they will close the game down, they still would have to write the ending to the story so that it does end, because for other members, they are not allowed to just kill of Winter Traveler, or just end the story at their chosing, because i see it that the story should be treaded as if there is no end in sight so you could continue with the story of Winter Traveler.

also, if you are introducing a new character, companion, creature or anything that does not exist in the real world (the main character is a living snow creature, so you don’t need to be realistic) please give some description, or you could even post an image of the figure if you feel like it.

now the last part is the following, that when a member write what path Winter Traveler desited to take, they must write a part of the story, but in a way that allowes for other to fill in the blanks. Because there is no real planned out story for this, so anyone can add in a new element to it, which is also why i have been saying Winter Travelers “name” all the time, not only does it not remember its real name, but i want to keep it vague on what gender it is, because i want to let that be up for the members, is Winter Traveler male or female, does it have a family or not, was there an important event in it’s past that is its reason for wandering so much or is it doing its wandering for some other reason.

see that is what i want, i want the other members to have the freedom to make their own choises for what could happen.

Finaly, here is how the begining of this game begins and how i want the other members to write like when they make their choises:

“For days now i have been wandering, but i can’t remember why i have been wandering for so long, was there something i was going to get for someone or was i going to meet someone important… Il probably remember it in time.”

I have arrived at a path that leads to three different directions:
1: To my left i see what looks like a mountain from the distance…
2: The path in front of me have footprints in the snow… but i can’t make out from what animal they originates from.
3: To my right is a path that seems to lead a lake… or atleast that what the sign says.

3 Likes

I follow the footprints. They lead across a towards an ominous cave. There are blood along the path that the footprints make. Perhaps whatever made the footprints was wounded? To in the distance, past the cave I see an Evergreen forest.

1. Walk towards the cave.

2. Head back the other way.

3. Head past the cave towards the forest.

1 Like

I desited to go into the caves to see if whatever made the footprints needed my help. While walking deep into the caves, i saw a few mining tools… seems like the cave is an old mine, or probaly a part of a larger one.

The blood on the ground lead me to three paths in the mine.
1:The blood leads to a path to the left.
2:The middle path have a rusty old pickaxe near its entranche… seems like it leads deeper into the mine
3:From the right path, i could hear what sounded like water.

Curious, I follow the sound of water. The cave entrance seems to get farther. I proceed until I find a solid wall. However there is a breeze hitting my face.

There are several things I can do.

1. Investigate to see where the breeze is coming from.
  2. Return to the cave intersection.
  3. Determine why a stone in the wall is glowing.
2 Likes

I look at the glowing stone. I hesitantly press my hand against the stone. Once I touch it, the wall begins to shake, before it suddenly collapses, revealing a large hidden cavern. On the far end of the cavern, there is a strange temple. On either side of the cave, there are holes in the wall, where giant waterfalls come out. The water from the falls meets up in the middle of the cave, creating a large underground lake, which is blocking the way to the temple.

I can:

1. Head to the lake and try to find a way across.

2. Skirt around the edge of the cave and see if there is any thing else inside.

3. Try to climb the cave walls and try to get to the tunnels where the waterfalls are coming out of.

1 Like

Eager to explore, I walk towards the lake. Just before I arrive, a massive reptilian head, like a long-necked and frilled crocodile’s, bursts from the water. It cocks its head at me and speaks in a deep, rasping voice: "Hello."

Do I:

1. Try to communicate with it.
  2. Run as fast as I can away.
  3. Try to find a weapon.
1 Like

Tentatively, I say in a meek but not childish voice “hello, what is your name?” I slowly back up away from the edge of the lake.

Do I

1. Stay and try to talk
  2. Run away
  3. Peruse the edges of the cavern
1 Like

Finally, I muster up the courage to step forward. The thing laughed. Its voice boomed, "I have no name, save the sound of waves on the shore. And you?" I say in the calmest voice I can muster: “I’m the winter traveler.” The beast leaned closer. "Now, what is it you seek?" Do I:

1. Ask for passage across the lake

2. Ask what is across the lake

3. Leave

2 Likes

I ask the thing for passage across the lake. The giant reptile bends down and allows me to climb onto it’s back. After a tense couple minutes, we arrive at the other side of the lake. Before I could even say “thank you” the reptile vanishes beneath the surface of the lake. Trapped on the other side of the lake, I weigh my options:

1. Head up a giant set of stairs towards the temple. I can see at the top of the stairs there is a large brazier with a big fire burning inside.

2. Try to make the giant crocodile resurface. Maybe I can ask it where I am.

3. Head over to one of the waterfalls. Maybe there’s something over there…

1 Like

as i walk up the stairs to the top of the temple, i start to notice that there is something on the brazier. When i finely reach the top and take a closer look into the flames, i see that the thing looks like a gemstone in the shape of an egg. Behind the brazier i see that there is a path leading futher into the temple

I can see that the gem moves a little, but i can’t tell if its just the flames fooling my eyes.
1: Take the gem from the brazier.
2: Go back down the stairs and try to talk with the crocodile.
3: Go deeper into the temple.

1 Like

Not wanting to risk reaching into the fire, I head deeper inside the temple. Inside, I find a large, circular room. There are strange carvings on the walls, but no apparent exit. I can:

1. Turn around and head back to the brazier. Maybe reaching in there won’t be so bad.

2. Examine the carvings. Perhaps they will give me some information about where I am.

3. Pray at an altar on the far side of the room. It probably wouldn’t do any thing, but it can’t hurt to try.

1 Like

I examine the carvings, and I touch them to rub off some dust.
They begin to glow, and the entire room starts to shake.
1. Run like heck, with no destination in mind but out
2. Take cover under the brazier
3. Stay put

2 Likes

I run as fast as i can and quickly hide under the brazier as part of the ceiling falls down. But in just a few moments the shaking stopped with some part of the ceiling having fallen down. As i get up, i notice that the gem had fallen off the brazier during the shaking, and outside of the flames, it look more like an egg than a gemstone now.

1: Take the gemstone egg, its probably not as warm as it was in the fire now.
2: go back to where the carvings where and see if the shaking caused some new path to be opend.
3: go back down from the temple, the fallen rubble of the ceiling have made a usable path over the lake, and who knows how long the temple may stand now.

3 Likes

I decide to take the egg thing. It’s still pretty warm, but not unbearably so. Examining it, I notice shapes moving inside of it. Not sure of what to do with the egg just yet, I think about where I should go next.

1. Return to the circular room to examine the rubble.

2. Head back across the lake. It may not be safe to stay here much longer.

3. Go try to ask the crocodile about the egg.

1 Like

Tucking the egg away in my knapsack for safekeeping, I crawl over the rubble and see what was on the other side of the wall - a dark tunnel, with the only light at the end coming from torches next to a doorway. In front of the door are two figures - a massive, armored man carrying a mace; and a hunched and hooded woman sitting cross-legged beside them.
Do I:

1. Ask them to be let through the door.

2. Ask them about the egg.

3. Go back out into the temple before they see me.

2 Likes

I took out the egg from my knapsack to ask them about the egg, but before i could say a word, the woman pointed at me, and the man ran towards me with his mace ready to pound me. I quickly dodged the attack, and could then see that the man was infact not human but some sort of rock golem coverd in armor, with cracks on its body that glowed red.

I quickly ran out of the tunnel and back into the temple with the golem following me.
1: I should hide from the golem until i can find find a way to take it out.
2: I i can still escape, i must just get over the rubble on the lake and then im safe.
3: The woman must be the one controling the golem, i should run back to her and see if i can talk to her.

2 Likes

I run back to the woman as fast as I can, the golem lumbering behind me. I ask her, “Why is this golden attacking me?” The hooded woman looks up at me. She is is very old and withered, but most notably she has no eyes. She says in a raspy voice: “Egg thief! There can be no escape from Me… For I will follow you to the edges of the world…”
Frightened, I think quickly about what I should do next.

1. Question the woman further. Maybe I can get her to stop the golem.

2. Drop the egg thing. Maybe she’ll calm down

3. Since the golem is back in the collapsed room, there’s nothing standing in the way of me going through that door. It’s probably my best chance of escape right now.

2 Likes

I don’t want to give up the egg just yet. Shoving the crone aside, I push open the door and run down a small, narrow hallway. Behind me, I can hear the woman screaming a raspy rage cry as the Golem fails to fit through the door. I turn a corner, only to find myself in a cavern larger than the first, but bearing a temple of even greater size, a well, and a river that might lead back to the lake. Do I…

1. Go to the temple.

2. Check out the well.

3. Follow the river - maybe I still can ask the lizard about the egg.

1 Like

I deside to run towards the temple, as there must be a different exit from the caves on the other side. As i run up the stairs and into a big hall, i see a large mural depicting a rainbow colored dragon creature, with six large, featherd wings, a featherd tail and a bird like head. Under the mural are a few other paintings that might be telling about the dragon, this could be tied to the egg.

i see however a door to the left of the mural that could lead me out of this cave system.
1: Maybe i should take a look at the paintings under the mural, the dragon and the egg must be connected.
2: I should run to the door so that i can escape, i don’t want to spend a second more in this death trap.
3: Maybe i should leave the temple and run to the river… i just hope that the river leads me to the lizard.

1 Like

I decide that I’ve had enough. I open the door to find myself standing in a long tunnel. I walk down the tunnel, until I finally pop up on the surface. Breathing in the fresh air, I look around. In the distance, I see see what looks to be a giant, crumbling castle. Off to my right I notice a large frozen lake, and to my left I see a little shack.

1. Head towards the ruined castle. I wonder if there’s anything left there…

2. Head over to the frozen lake. I’m sick of all these weird ruins and temples.

3. Walk towards the little shack. Maybe someone lives there who I can get information from.

2 Likes