Thought experiment: If time were to stop

About 5 years ago, I started to think about if time were to stop. I reasoned that you would be immobile because air cannot move out of the way. Wiggling what you can move, the air would feel pretty bumpy and full of gaps. If you could move around, you would suffocate to death because again, the air is not flowing.

Assumptions to make: You and your bodily functions continue to work if time stops. When referring to "stopping time," we understand everything except you is unable to move, even if time does not exist

Conclusion: If a person were to stop time and try to maneuver around, it would be troublesome.

Does my conclusion make sense and how can we overcome the problems?

5 Likes

If time itself were to stop, then by extent your bodily functions would too. no air would be needed and no problems would arise :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I imagine, if time were to stop
One would be under the impression that it would stop everything EXCEPT the person who stopped time
so thats kinda invalid

Unfortunately, the lack of air is a huge problem
perhaps it could be like being underwater
Your ability to stop time would depend on how long you could hold your breath?

2 Likes

If time were to stop, no one would know because there would be no time for him or her to observe how time had stopped.

8 Likes

Wouldn't we all just, like, freeze and not know what the heck's going on? Wouldn't we not even notice? So if time started back up we wouldn't even care because we didn't know it stopped.

"Huh?" he shrugged it off and kept walking.

2 Likes

I am about to invalidate this entire topic: Time is a man made object. If all clocks were to stop, than "time" would stop. But we would still go about our daily lives.

I doubt the universe is that unstable to the point where all of existence would freeze.

What he said.

and what he said.

And again, what he said.

1 Like

I'll take this a bit farther. Assuming that such a thing were possible, your entire body (including mental functions) would be frozen as well as everything around it. The only way to observe the time frozen universe would be to have a autonomous, intangible projection of your mind look around in your place and feed the information back to you when time resumed.

1 Like

And this is why Dio is a vampire. Who needs body functions when you can just kill the Joestars

Even this is sort of flawed. The truth is, everything would stop if time stopped due to everything requiring energy to function. Without time, you can't use energy, so if someone were to stop time, it'd be totally useless for them.

1 Like

huh, good point

welp, time to change it to a self sufficient, autonomous, intangible projection of your mind.. yeah, no. Time stoping is pointless

HOLD THE PHONE
TIME STOMPING SOUNDS INTERESTING!

Dang how would that even work!? Like you smash your foot on the ground, and a voice just calls out

ZA WARUDO

And if you could do that with your feet, that would mean you could walk through time as well, which would actually be much more practical, considering you could dodge anything a clunky time machine would have run into or "clipped" into.

1 Like

my gosh, I fixed that twice

oh.. oops

and yes, yes it would

Nothing would happen.

You're all assuming we would stop and freeze, but that's not time, that's motion. There's no coorelation between the two.

Time as we think of it everyday is a cognitive perception, not a universal thing. It's something we use to keep track of things in a chronological order so we can experience a less confusing reality.

Space-time is something that actually exists. It consists of two dimensions, that being space, the 3 dimensional plane that can contain matter, and time, a dimension we have yet to understand. That being said, universal space-time can't be stopped. It doesn't have a motion or a direction. That'd be like asking "What if 3D space stopped?"

So there's no definitive answer because we can't comprehend time in the context of space-time.

2 Likes

HOW DO WE KNOW SOMEBODY ISN'T ALREADY STOPPING TIME?

3 Likes

that's deep man

2 Likes

@ChaoticTempleKnight Would phrasing my question as: If motion stopped, every atom and reaction stopped, except the person who caused it, how can we overcome the downsides I concluded with the benefit of manipulating the world with not even a measured second to pass

I wont argue if time is real or not, but I think you know what I mean

@PakariNation99 I didn't post this question to debate whether or not time exists, but I would like to point out the phenomenon known as time dilation. The fact that time dilation, which has been proven to be correct, exists means that recorded time can be manipulated relative to another object.
So to enter sci-fi, if my relative time continues and everyone else's time is not flowing, another way to phrase that time stops, what would happen?

@TheRed1s I guess that's one way to interpret it

@Mayple Who cares about the flaws, I like thinking about things that are not possible

Edited for Quadruple Post - Waj

Please refrain from posting on a topic twice/thrice/four times in a row. If you want to reply to multiple people, just type the '@' symbol in front of the user's name that you want to reply to. Also, read this. Thank you :smile:

1 Like

I'm going to make a few assumptions here seeing as the concept of "stopping" in itself is time-dependent

Assume a "stoppable" time ts, existing separately from "real" time t0. Normally the correspondence between ts and t0 is that as t0 increases, ts increases as well, or
𝛿ts/𝛿t0 = 1. Further, we state that processes that are time-dependent universally depend on ts.

Now, to describe the idea of time "stopping" we can model this by stating that after the point t0 = T, 𝛿ts/𝛿t0 = 0. At this point, all processes P(ts) would, as a consequence, be unchanging, so 𝛿/𝛿t0 P(ts) would also be 0.

Effectively, then, all chemical reactions would stop, all velocities would equal zero, so relative positions between all objects would remain constant, etc. t0 would continue to increase, and if at some point t0 = T2, 𝛿ts/𝛿t0 increased to a nonzero value once again, nobody would notice because the basis for perceiving that anything had happened would be nonexistent.

In other words, it could be happening constantly and we wouldn't even notice.

3 Likes

3math5me

Yay.

1 Like

In practice, actually stopping time as a power written in a completely realistic manner would be completely useless. I for one liked Code Geass' approach, however, where the time stopping power was purely mind-affecting.

1 Like

While we're on the topic of time stopping and anime, how the heck does The World's power even work? Like I can understand how Dio can move around within stopped time. I can even understand how he can move things he's touching within stopped time. But when he throws knives... why don't they stop as soon as they leave his hands? Am I missing something, or is there just no logic behind it at all?