Thoughts on 3D printing Lego pieces?

I did look around a bit, so I apologize if a topic such as this exists.

What do you all think of 3D printed Lego pieces?

Like them? Hate them? I’m interested in hearing your thoughts.

I personally like the idea, but they really could use better plastic.

3 Likes

I like em.
But I don’t have access to 3D printers.

3 Likes

They could be better.

2 Likes

Its usually people making parts that seem to cheat instead of actually trying to use existing parts. On the other hand 3d printing masks is awesome, theres many masks we never actually got in set form or others which were weird like the Inika masks, I’ve seen them 3d printed for regular metru heads.

1 Like

Printed plastic parts are for the weak.

Printed wooden parts are where it’s at.

6 Likes

I don’t personally own any, but I do really like them. some pretty neat designs have come from those.

1 Like

Yeah, I love the creative opportunities it gives people who have the skill to do it :smile: (which I unfortunately do not have :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

3 Likes

It needs time to really develop, but works as an idea.

4 Likes

I feel like it just depends on the piece
(I, personally, have no experience with them, but I’ve good one’s and I’ve seen bad one’s)

1 Like

I agree with @AwesomeJoel27. The hands and torsos are meh, but the masks look really amazing! It gives you more of a variety than just the standard masks of the Toa.

2 Likes

Things like the Voriki mask and hands are fine, but making parts to cheat is a no.

What do you mean, cheat?

I think he means like special connectors to get around issues.

2 Likes

Yeah, stuff like this skeleton

5 Likes

That’s still a great design IMO.

It gives a more action figure feel than a not-to-be-played-with sculpture.

5 Likes

I don’t see anything wrong with making “illegal” parts–most of them are either too specialized for LEGO to make or are parts they simply never will make because they can use other parts in a similar way. Why is it wrong to use your skill to make a part that accomplishes your creative vision? So long as you don’t try to sell it as a LEGO product, you’re not doing anything wrong, IMO.

I really want to buy a few of those masks. The designers do a great job, and they let you do almost anything you want!

5 Likes