To Build a Toa (or Matoran)

I suppose the greater power of the Kanohi Nuva could allow the user to assume control down nearly to the molecular level as opposed to the more ‘macro’ level that I envision most Kanohi managing… Yeah, that could work.

Well, you just beat me to that one :wink:.

2 Likes

Please make a video on this topic, I think we’d all love to see a BIONICLE science show.

4 Likes

This is a truly stellar topic.
The amount of thought and detail you put into this astounds me.
You see many pices of artworks, mocs, fanfiction and even to a lesser extent things like fangames or custom made pices but this is something I’ve nver actually seen in the BIONICLE fandom: A BIONICLE Science Project (Which is something I’d absolutely love to see more of).
I really like how you gave explanations for seemingly random things in the MU, such as why Toa of Water are female or why the Skakdi have teeth.
Also some of the things people have added to this topic have actually broadened my look on science both in the MU and in the real world. (I REALLY love Kahi’s ideo of Protodermis being programmable metal/organic matter)

All in all, thumbs up to you @Scorpion_Strike and everone elso who contributed to this phenomenal topic.

2 Likes

Huh, so, like…a living material? I mean, not sentient, but some sort of techno-organic, self-molding, programmable material?

I wonder, though, why it’s called Protodermis. If we go by English affix meanings, then it’s Proto-, as in “original” or “primitive”, and Dermis as in “skin”.

So, by that logic it’s a primitive skin? Seems odd when it in theory could act as the most advanced skin possible.

5 Likes

“Protodermis” could’ve been an early working title used by the Great Beings when they were developing the MU and its inhabitants before they came up with a bunch of variations of the substance. The original “skin” compound could still be what the reservoirs are made of.

5 Likes

This is really well put together!

Regarding the whole eating thing, I actually asked Greg about this a long time ago. We know that Toa et al. can consume matter; Kharzhani (the plant) heals Nokama by giving her a root that she eats, and she later tastes the water around Mata Nui and is surprised that it’s salty.

2 Likes

I like to think the Protodermis was around before the Great Beings started messing around with the MU or maybe even the Element Lords. I mean I could understand if the Great Beings USED it and knew of it’s existent whilst all other sentient races knew not it, maybe it was some sort of long lost project they never got around to finishing, or maybe they even deemed the substance too dangerous, too unpredictable and shoved it down into a place where they thought it’d never be reached again…only for it to come back and bite them in the buttocks like every OTHER invention of course :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Man… Are you a biologist? You make a great topic! You inspired me to make this type of topics, but with other bionicle species!

2 Likes

Not a biologist; an engineer. :wink:

5 Likes

Oooooo!