Toa Chiara - The Lizard Zapper

Hello and welcome to the CHIARA ZONE.

“If I wasn’t me, I’d copy me too.”

I was originally gonna hold off on posting her until a little later, but other people are making ones like her and i’d rather not have people compare me to other stuff relentlessly!! I’ve been working on her for like, most of this month, and posted mostly about it in the r/bioniclelego discord.

Colors:

I started working on this when I got a mostly completely Technic Super Battle Droid, which then resulted in me building her arms, which then evolved into just, the rest of her, i guess. I think metal blue is a dope fit for her, it’s shiny (lightning is shiny too, i am VERY smart as you can see) and also gives her parity with the other YesterQuester toa, who both already are confirmed to have metallic colors. It is kinda hard to make stuff with this scheme, and I still need one liftarm on her leg in metal blue.

Weapon:

Weapon is a big stick. I call it the Lightning Lance, it’s meant to kinda be a lightning rod of sorts, I guess. In all honesty, I really don’t care about weapons here (especially since most of the time these characters appear, they don’t have weapons), but I did try to give her something that can be dynamically posable.

Mask:

I’m going with set volitak. If they allow for the air filter chin tumor thing to be chopped off, I’ll chop it off in a heartbeat. @vootcaboot made some renders of her in studio that helped me decide on the mask color, and I liked white the most for sure. The paint-job here isn’t the best, but hey, it’ll do for now.

Proportions:

I gave Chiara a mainly triangular shape language, as triangles are a heavily dynamic and energetic shape to use for characters. For height, she’s a little taller than the average Inika build, with her torso being 1L longer and her legs being 2Ls longer. Honestly, I’m fine with this, it’s not too overbearing IMO, and her skinnier frame doesn’t make her look too massive in comparison to other toa. Uhhh I guess lighting IS pretty tall too, so yeah, it’s intentional now.

So yeah that’s it I guess. A lot of people have said they really like her, and I’m really happy that people enjoy how she turned out, cus I sure as hell do as well. If you hate her, awesome! Cool!

Anyway, thanks for looking at the murder lightning woman (with large stick)

46 Likes

I’ll guarantee you this, you have my vote in this contest. I would love to see her canonized. She fits in quite well in universe yet also stands out. Absolute banger

7 Likes

This looks like jerm’s

you absolute madman

Edit: for legal reasons, this is a joke

I could see why you would want to get ahead on possible overlap. This is eerily similar to Jerm’s. At least its showing people have a consistent image in the head

2 Likes

ye, the metal blue really calls it out as similar but i know from progress pics that unless jerm’s was done months ago, this one came first. really glad to finally see it show up on the board!

7 Likes

Ok joking aside,it’s a pretty neat moc. Definitely voting for this one

2 Likes

Several people can vouch for it and get screenshots of the WIP photos that Lam posted in the r/ discord server.

Inasmuch as you consider “metal blue, white, pink eyes, has custom hands” eerily similar. The shapes of, well, everything is entirely different and is actually cohesive, as well as using a way different part selection (no KKII shins, custom head, no Inika thighs)

2 Likes

It turned out lovely Lamentte. I love the general design construction, and shaping to your Chiara. Its been quite engaging and interesting to see your process over this last month with her :>.

3 Likes

Maybe you did not see the latest update he made.

Closer on the shaping and forearms are definitely similar, not sure if you can tell. No inika thighs

2 Likes

Lamentte’s build had these details long before Jerm’s post was made, that much can be assured.

3 Likes

Nah, it’s really just the arms that are closer. The torso is nowhere near similar and the legs are nothing alike, at all.

3 Likes

I never doubted that.

@vootcaboot
Coolio dude

She looks pretty good! I really like the way the limbs are built.

I do think she could be a little shorter, though. Maybe it’s just me, but the combination of her lanky limbs and skull-like mask makes her look a little creepy. Not a huge issue, though.

That’s already a very rare color scheme. That plus the identical forearms, mata feet, and extreme height make it pretty big coincidence if you ask me :stuck_out_tongue: (To clarify, I’m not saying that anyone copied)

Also the way you did this picture is clever. Well done.

5 Likes

This is beautiful, really nails my favorite kind of BIONICLE aesthetic. I am ever so slightly bugged by the grey hands, but the only legitimate critique I have is that she could be a lil bit shorter. Fantastic work overall, though. I’m glad to see metal blue is becoming more prevalent for this character. Twas executed quite nicely on this as well.

6 Likes

Are those blue parts painted?

they appear to be official metal blue parts, all the metal blue parts in the moc did come in that colour, so i would be surprised if any are painted.

1 Like

It is a big coincidence. Like, the arm design was the first thing I started on her, on like October 5th or smth, and was and idea I had in my head long before then.

Honestly I don’t wanna have to keep going back and forth on this one thing over and over again, it’s heavily disheartening to have something I’ve worked on a whole month get compared so much with something else in this manner.

7 Likes

Noone is accusing anything its just a funny coincidence with what is coming off as a lot of overly defensiveness in the comments.

If anything its a cool thing to have this convergent evolution of mocs that occurred independently, as it kind of shows a general consensus on a feature

1 Like

Very nice, yes. This has to be one of the best I’ve seen so far. I love the colors especially.

Wouldn’t the mask look better in metal blue though?

ha

same probably