Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

If we’re making lists of hopeful Hagah requirements…

• Metru upper torso as part of the body. Can be upright or flipped.
  • Rhotuka shield piece (in the final, canon image, at least) and spear.
  • Proportions resembling that of Norik and Iruini, not necessarily exactly. Again, I’d use the Mata as a benchmark for how diverse the Hagah can be, though obviously the Hagah can vary their torso height as well.
  • Metallic mask, shield, speartip, and chestplate. I’d be a bit more lenient on other armor. For example, no issue with shinguards instead of thigh armor.
  • No color blocks smaller than a single socket piece (pins, axles, and the like excluded, obviously). If you want to make some greebly armor, it should at least look like it could be a single Lego piece.
2 Likes

Totally agree here, the waist should be able to change height the lenght of shoulders and upper legs should too and as I mentioned earlier the chest plate but as long as the typical Metru or hagah torso construction is there it should be all fair game

1 Like

I agree that some changes in proportions are okay, but nothing too extreme.

nice one

2 Likes

So, I figured I’d just bring up a detail in favor of an art only contest, should we do that. Having a group shot of all 6 Hagah would make it extremely easy for mocists to figure out the characters’ builds, because Norik and Iruini would serve as an easy way to see where artistic license ends and the physical models begin, and the rest would likely just have armor swaps.

2 Likes

Nak & Jay is gonna start any second now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyq8bIMiYfY

3 Likes

Do you mean smaller?

1 Like

Uh, whoops. Thanks for catching.

Bingo. What qualifies a Toa Hagah in this contest should be the same sort of rules as what qualifies Artakha or Helryx.

Stop arguing about proportions, stop arguing about particular pieces or limiting creativity, and start arguing over what should the hagah in this contest have? And no, arguing against arguing (which happened right after I left, c’mon guys) doesn’t really work.

If we’re going to define the “Metru build” so meticulously, then why have anything outside of a mask contest? Is a Metru build the torso, or is it the torso and hips? Or perhaps it’s the torso, hips, and proportions? Maybe it’s the torso, hips, proportions, and piece selection used in official sets? Maybe it’s just the official sets with different masks? Maybe the only difference between a Hagah build and a Metru build is gear function.

The answer is nobody gives two goats’ worth of condensed milk what a Hagah build is. What matters is what qualifies as an entry in this contest, so if I enter Thunderthighs Pouks and he isn’t using the Standard Limb Piece for every single portion of his extremities, will or won’t I be crucified?

4 Likes

Plenty of people have come to a similar conclusion that I have on ‘what defines a Hagah build?’ Just for the sake of tossing my cap into the ring, I would like to echo many of the previously documented statements. As I see it, a Hagah build and thus a qualifiable contest entry:

• Uses the 2004 “Metru” gearbox within the torso design, regardless of gear function. As this is not a set contest, I see no real need to include gearbox functionality.
  • Proportions roughly similar to Norik and Iruini, with variation in limb choices, specific armor pieces or torso length at the builder’s discretion. The finished work should not fall into the category of a “Titan-sized moc” which is a detail that sharper minds than me can figure out. Basically, the moc should look farly normal next to Norik and Iruini. More minute details could be ironed out by a final art piece that alters heights very slightly as necessary, but should not be relied upon by the builder as a safety cushion.
  • Implementation of a SLW (Spear-Like Weapon) and a Rhotuka shield, functional or otherwise.
  • Metallic mask, shield, weapon tip and chestplate.
  • Color variation allowed to an extent. Introduction of more black, changing up color distribution, etc.

I might be a little groggy and rambly, but that’s where I stand on the subject matter, as of now.

1 Like

So basically, we could take the metru bodies, add 3 sets of norik to 3, and 3 sets of iruini to the other 3, then give them the new masks, and thats it?
Whens the dead-line again?

There is currently no deadline for anything. Its open for an unlimited time right now

You could, yes. That was also an option for the Helryx contest.

You don’t have to though.

So this is this contests bit huh?

3 Likes

Just let it happen

2 Likes

I’m scared for lariska’s now

4 Likes

you should be

5 Likes

Please I’m begging you

8 Likes

So when drawing the characters for the art contest, would we be allowed to indicate that some of their shields are on their backs for simplicity’s sake, since they would all look the same, or is that probably a no-go?

Also,

Thiruini

10 Likes

Alright we need to get back on topic before the mod squad return.

3 Likes

Not gonna lie, I actually kinda like that build.

And I don’t think it’s that out of place.

Also, I don’t have time to read all 200 posts that happen between my visits, have we discussed the issue of the shoulder connection yet?

Because to be honest, I don’t think we should limit it to just the gearbox. I think the ball joint shoulder people tend to use is a very simple and elegant modification that can easily be added to Norik and Iruini. It also keeps the exact stud proportions.

6 Likes