Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

I think a big point people are missing is that the spears should reasonably look like they would turn into the staffs that each rahagah carries.

3 Likes

The only thing I’m worried about with going full art this go around is how potentially wild and crazy those designs could get without a MOC design to ground them.

Either way you slice it, there will have to be restrictions. A MOC entry can’t be unreasonably beyond a “Metru build,” and an art entry can’t really deviate past the aesthetics or proportions of the Hagah sets.

6 Likes

I think your point is pretty important indeed. We need to get to the tip of these issues and make sure we stick to them.

6 Likes

sighs for all eternity

4 Likes

I don’t see where Meso posted a unique Metru build, so did you mean Hawkeye who posted Nenon, the same MOC I posted? I literally said there are unique Metru builds, but at the point of Nenon, how is it any different than a custom build like mine?

Sure, but I can only control my vote, not the vote of others. Only TTV putting rules in place to prevent canon contradictory and bad faith entries can do that.

And you apparently ignored the entirety of my post which discussed what exactly a Metru build means.

I’m saying a winning entry that uses a custom build would be canon, and that wouldn’t contradict the previous canon interpretations of a Metru build by simply being a different artistic interpretation.

Considering that the only original thing about that build is the use of a Noble Matatu as chest armor, yes, it is largely unoriginal as a whole.

1 Like

At the same time that’s just scratching the surface of what can be done. Canon has already given us better examples of how the metru build can be built creatively let me introduce:

Mimic

And Ravager

4 Likes

If someone enters a Hagah looking like a Dark Hunter, I think that should automatically be considered a bad faith entry.

10 Likes

I will now build the Toa Hagah all with 3 arms

19 Likes

Roodaka wasn’t the first to mutate them.

9 Likes

very based, thank you

3 Likes

My point wasn’t make them like the dark hunters my point was look at these METRU BUILDS that are canon and how they are innovative in some regards. Thanks for totally missing my point and being respectful about it.

2 Likes

I agree with your point that Metru Builds can have interesting parts usage, but I don’t think using Dark Hunters helps the case (especially Ravager who’s just a mishmash of other sets, the legs are barely modified from Nivawk). Better examples of interesting parts usage on Metru builds would be things like Kodiak’s Bomonga, which has a Metru torso and could conceivably be a Toa, yet makes creative usage of several parts

Toa Hagah Bomonga - Creative Content / Lego Creations - The TTV Message Boards (ttvchannel.com)

9 Likes

Like @toaskello said, those aren’t the best examples.

Yes, you can make interesting things using a Metru-build, but the issue is visual consistency.

All we’re saying is that if Pouks rolled up with Mimic’s thunderthighs he wouldn’t really fit in well with the rest of the Hagah.

6 Likes

we all want that

8 Likes

While I do agree that Ravager is a bunch of things slaped together it was more the usage of the build that was the focal point of my argument.

I think I said my peace well enough in the original topic, and don’t feel like rehashing everything here. But for some quick clarification on a slightly related topic,

I’m assuming this includes feedback from places beyond just here on the message boards, like when you were in the r/ discord just a bit ago for example, right? (I don’t see why it wouldn’t, just want to be sure that things discussed elsewhere aren’t forgotten when you & eljay get together for the podcast).

Time to insert my tuppence; I’m sure these two cents will be wholeheartedly accepted by the entirety of the BIONICLE community, I’ll be made a LEGO Ambassador, and they’ll rename the street in front of the Christiansborg Palace in Denmark after me.

From the document:

• Some people (us included) think that “Metru build” means using both the upper and lower Metru torso piece combined together to create a torso build just like Norik or Iruini. The limbs could theoretically be whatever, but that torso design should pretty much be a constant.
  • In addition to all of that, because these characters are part of an already established team with an already established aesthetic, there should probably be a rule of sorts mandating that their appearance can’t deviate too far in aesthetic from Iruini and Norik (no 100% CCBS limbs or overly greebly, ornate armor for instance that looks out of place with G1)

This description sounds perfectly how it ought to be. The calves/lower legs can have some variation, the hip placement may vary, but generally the design stays recognizable to Norik and Iruini. (On that topic, the Bomonga shared by @toaskello has really extreme shoulders and shins, which I would disqualify).

With this said, I believe art-only is the way to go. The MOCs really can’t (or shouldn’t) be too creative, so we may as well jump straight toward finalizing the exact proportions of their height (i.e. lower leg design, hip placement) and their spear/Kanohi’s appearance.

2 Likes

after saying this i realize mimic’s legs are barely modified kikanalo legs as well

4 Likes

To reiterate I’m not saying build them like the dark hunters I only wanted to bring light to the fact that the build isn’t creatively limiting as mocs have shown in the past even canon ones. Thanks for understanding

1 Like

I, for one, am in favor of mandating incredibly beefy thighs for Pouks. I ain’t afraid of no legs.

5 Likes