Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

I believe theres three prescribed ways, thank you. :crazy_face:

But also theres LOTS of ways to stylize even a Hagah build, whats wrong with letting the community decide on which one they feel is most accurate?

Assuming people decide to actually build anything other than what is a Norik or Iruini clone, of course.

1 Like

Nah, you just need to think outside your own box the only thing stopping you is your creativity :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Has any other media like bionicle ever suffered from knowing what certain characters look like?

I can’t unflag stuff but its okay it doesn’t matter to me

You didn’t. I did.

Thinly veiled insults hiding behind emojis and sarcasm tags are not connotative of a productive conversation.

3 Likes

Who are you to say what other people should and shouldn’t get to know? This ain’t your credit card number, it’s Lego.

Is that why so many of us are interested in having these contests?

That’s nice but clearly, not everyone agrees. Hell, why even have visual representations of anyone or anything at that point? It takes away mystery and intrigue!

Metru builds, as has been discussed to death by now, are more versatile than you give them credit for, even within the restrictions of Hagah uniformity.

2 Likes

I don’t have a issue with mandating metru builds, just the way in which that mandate is enforced in the ruleset as a whole.

This thread has shown that that’s a pretty good assumption.

There will definitely be clone entries, but there will also be plenty of more creative ones.

2 Likes

I mean even if these are just clones they would still be some of the most uniquely stylized clones, as even though Iruini and Norik can be described as “clones” of each other, they still feel like they pack a lot of character individually.
Also lets say we have 5 limbs to choose from, 10 spear tips, 5 shoulders, 3 leg armors, 10 chest armors, 30 masks… all of those were just random numbers btw. Thats like, 300,000 combinations right there… some are bound to be cooler than others and have a better feel. And that was a very poor example of calculations.

1 Like

… the majority of which are most likely nearly identical.

Well that just boils down to what you consider identical. Some people appreciate subtle differences more than others. A lot of people call the Mata clone sets, but yet consider them different enough to have a favorite, and unique enough to want the collection.

By that logic, whats the point in getting Iruini if you already have Norik?

The dozen ‘current’ surviving Toa of which we know nothing, not to mention Toa past, leaves plenty of space for MOC headcanoning.

(I believe Krakua is the ghost of Toa yet-to-come)

1 Like

If that’s what they want, nothing, I guess. Other members of the community may be unhappy with it, but I’m aware by now that that’s the minority.

I feel like either (1) this is based on a grossly overestimated analysis or (2) I am being trolled.

Well, yeah. I generally don’t like characters being depicted on book covers, because it mitigates my involvement in the creation of the story. That’s a rather more nebulous concept that I will cease elaborating on here, though, because this is about rules and I need to nip my odd knack for getting topics off-topic. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have credentials to say that, but, then again, I didn’t. It’s possible to conflate “I don’t personally want anyone to know,” which has no bearing on whether people do know or not, and “No one should know and I will force them not to.” They are different, though.

No, I think that’s because most people here aren’t me.

I… know that not everyone agrees. You’ve made it abundantly clear. And we have visual representations because LEGO sold us stuff about a decade ago.

I was more defending my slighted creativity than anything else, but if it wasn’t clear, I was referring to the part of the rules that says you must insert the Metru hip piece into the Metru torso piece the way it was done in the Metru sets, which is exactly one way.

I will satisfy myself with that.

1 Like

3 ways! You can be stocky, average, or lanky. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

I’ll take your word for it. I think I built all my Metru sets the same way, which may be why I’m missing this. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I do have a question about this rule though… does this mean only one piece per area? Or can multiple components encompass the same surfaces?

1 Like

Who would have known that a rule semi madating the metru build would mandate metru pieces… gasps :exploding_head:

But seriously tho why are we having this argument again? I think the current rule set is totally fine. Also if you don’t like the canon make your own headcanon people are already doing that anyways no matter if it has a apperance or not.

1 Like

Four, actually. Although the tallest was never used on a set, and would probably look ridiculous.

I sure hope the answer is yes. As long the combination reasonably approximates a single piece, I don’t see why we need to add even more restrictions.

1 Like

I expressed some dissatisfaction with the rules and the canon contests as a whole, and then several of us elaborated on our alternative views. But I meant it less as an argument or even long discussion point and more as a reminder that people who are unhappy with the contests still exist. Hopefully that may lead to a reconsideration farther down the line.

1 Like

Yeah. In a perfect world the common BIONICLE fan would understand character design and group dynamics, but alack and alas.

2 Likes

Last time I talked to Eljay about something similar he made it very clear that they wouldn’t be going anywhere. Now that conversation had more to do with the contest fostering alot of negativity and that the contest weren’t inherently bad but I digress because at the end of the day one of my points was to limit the contest to the one list we have which didn’t really go home with him.

1 Like