Toa Hagah Canon Contest Survey and Final Q&A

I actually really like this idea. How about this: all four contests are run at the same time. Later, people vote for the combinations of 4 that they like. Then, the combinations with the most votes move on to the next round of voting. After that would come the art portion.

Comparing entirely different Toa teams is comparing apples to oranges. I honestly don’t know how to make it any clearer, so I won’t repeat myself.

And you’ve done…what, exactly? At least I’m offering a solution to at least some of the color balancing issues that people have brought up. What you and others have been doing is going around in repetitive arguments that ultimately don’t help anyone. If you don’t like my offer, think of something better.

As I said, we need to figure out how to deal with the fact that there are 1296 possible lineups people can vote for if there are six Toa per character in the finals. Maybe there’s a voting paradigm in statistics or politics that can help us here.

Edit: 1296 combinations isn’t an issue for laying it out in a topic, as it’s just like the prior contests but with four voting boxes. Rather, it’s an issue for how you parse out the winning combination when, there’s a chance that votes are so diffuse that it’s like spreading butter over the surface area of Texas (is that a good metaphor?). The winning combination might only have been voted on by 10 people. Now the other several hundred people who voted could be disappointed.

1 Like

How do you set these combinations?

I’m not. I’m saying that transformations cause inconsistency with color.

Let’s actually take a look at the Inika. If we only had Matoro and Nuparu, you would think that they kept their main Matoran colors, a variation of their secondary color (trans light blue instead of sand blue, light grey instead of dark grey), plus metallic armor. But then Hahli has her secondary color and white, Jaller and Kongu have a diferent shade of color, and Hewkii just flat out changes color.

Now, obviously the Hagah must have their Rahaga colors. I don’t agree with this, but it’s the rules we have. But that doesn’t mean that everything else will or should be consistent. Heck, one could argue they all have silver staffs, therefore they should all have silver armor.

A solution that solves so little as to be practically pointless, while in the process limiting creative freedom and making many people upset, and is based on so little evidence, is a bad solution.

also, for the record @Hazash, I think you need to take into account that a lot of people already read the last topic. I didn’t click the link because I’d alredy read through your post and… well, I disagreed at the time, but since then have been swayed to your pov.

Yes.

Wrong - I speicified Hoseryx as a bad faith finalist which was definitely not neglected to disprove your rule that even if a lot of people dislike something, it can make it to the finals. An extreme example, for certain, but a very real one.

Then I extended that further by proving Hoseryx received a decent amount of high-quality art, so artists were clearly not disapproving of the concept or the entry in spite of its joke status and negative public opinion. Literally anything is possible in these contests; such polarizing statement of ‘this could never’ or ‘this absolutely will’ are dangerous ones asking for the prediction to be made false by community consensus.

Wrong. Joke entries can get to the finals and then the joke can become unfunny. Plus, all a joke entry needs to get through is to be built well and appear genuine - and a joke solid enough to carry it.

Thunderous, isn’t it?

Well actually it’s- Nah, I like my TTV account. Let’s leave that there.

Which just happens to be yours, I take it, seeing as it was linked and referenced a couple times.

That’s because I read your original post and I disagree. Why would I bother clicking on it again when I already have an opinion? In fact, why would anyone bother when they have an opinion?

Aboom boom boom.

3 Likes

In other teams. You can’t make the assumption that because it happens in other teams means it happens for the Hagah.

No, they can’t, because Iruini disproves that completely.

So offer something better. Nothing you’ve said so far has been constructive in any way.

That doesn’t make sense. If they do separate contests we can’t look into the future to see which Bomonga, Gaaki and Pouks will win to decide which Kualus to vote for. To ensure a cohesive team with separate contests you’d either need future-sight or to get the entire community to coordinate and collectively decide on the metallic colors for each Toa and all vote for the right options - which is a little unrealistic to say the least.

Yeah, that’s fair. I suppose most of the people who were in the last topic have voted in this one. Still, there are over a hundred people that voted. You’d expect at least twenty, surely?

To get more information and make a more informed decision, surely. I guess I’m just frustrated most people don’t spend time looking for opposing views before they vote. But to paraphrase Zefrank, that is how the human do.

I don’t know which side of the fence you’re on so this may be redundant, but keep in mind the same issue is also true of simultaneous voting.

1 Like

From what I’m understanding here, your only argument against “artists choose the combo” is that joke entries past their expiration date might get neglected. I don’t see why we should care about this.

Every one of your points against the idea has been centred around joke entries, which would never be allowed in the first place.

I have yet to see a single hypothetical in which a legitimate entry is good enough to get to the finals on its own, yet is bad enough to get neglected by all of the artists, but is also still somehow good enough that it would have won the whole thing in another voting system.

And you can’t assume it doesn’t

Of the times we’ve seen transformations, roughly than half of them have resulted in a change of color:

The Mata to Nuva: no change (aside from introduction of silver)
The Metru to Hordika: no change
The Metru to Turaga: drastic change
Matoran to Inika: drastic change
Inika to Mahri: some changes, like Hahli
Nuva to Phantoka: …doesn’t really count because it’s a re-armor, not a transformation.

My point: color changes happen all the time. You can’t just assume the Hagah are different.

That is exactly my point. Not all of them have metallic spinners, but all of them have metallic weapons. If you looked at their weapons, you’d say they should all be silver. But you can’t, because Iruini exists.

I don’t have to. There’s two in the first post of this topic.

And most of the other proposals in this topic already are better than one which fixes absolutely nothing and creates arbitrary restrictions that don’t need to exist.

Well, I did say that you had a fair point at the beginning, just not that it should be mandated. And I definitely don’t see how it fixes any of the problems we have.

I actually think it’s not too unlikely that one of the finalists wouldn’t get picked by artists, statistically speaking. We tend to see in the poll results for contests that preference skews heavily to the top two or three, and the rest trickle off in popularity. So I see the concern of one of the finalists being disheartened if their designs don’t get drawn - or drawn by someone whose art has a good chance of winning.

This is true, but this applies to any contest format.

If an entry only qualifies into the finals by the skin of its teeth, why should we suddenly expect it to have equal representation among artists’s choices?

Remember, the artists are some of the same people who are voting in the polls as well; it’s not like the artists are some unbiased third party who have no context of the contests.

How is this any different than a finalist being disheartened by only getting 2% of the vote?

This is why I included this line:

An entry not getting chosen isn’t a downside if the same thing would happen in any other format.

And again, since the artists are (somewhat) representative of the initial voting polls, I don’t see why the distribution of artists’s choices would be wildly different than the choices that would have been made in a “winner-take-all” individual finals vote.

Actually, yeah, that’s a good point.

Again, statistically (*puts on nerd glasses) this would only be the case if we had enough artists entering to where every artist’s preferences get sufficiently averaged out. The more artists, the more representative their choices will be of the lineups the rest of the community would have otherwise voted for. I’m on my phone and need to go to bed, so I don’t recall how many artists entered prior contests. 100 entrants would be a good target.

Well, I can see this: if you never get drawn, that’s the equivalent of getting NO votes. Even 2% of the vote would be better.

Not saying this disproves your point, just throwing that out there.

Maybe we should pull a trick out of ‘LEGO’s 90th Anniversary hat’ and let people vote on their favourites in the final even if it has no bearing on which ones artists pick. Gives those two-percenters some peace of mind.

1 Like

Good news is, this topic helps me get/keep my master badge.

2 Likes

“But - but my entry got the most votes, yet only one person drew it?! How is that fair?!”

(fairly certain you’re joking, just responding to it with one of my own)

Man, I do not envy Meso or Eljay reading through these 200 posts.

Yeah… Yeeeeaaah…

19 Likes

It was half joke, half genuine. They tend to be good at getting people talking.

Imma sleep now. Auf Wiener-schnitzel

1 Like