Toa Mata Gali(Traditional)

Since I posted that old drawing of Tahu a few weeks ago, I thought I’d try my hand at drawing new stylized versions of the 6 Toa Mata,starting with the mistress of the deep herself, Gali, Toa Mata of Water.
Pardon the cruddy background, my light blue markers are going dry and hate coloring large spaces.

I purposely left out the eyes in the mask, to sort of give the sense of a vizor look to the mask. My idea is that the mask while on land, her ‘goggles’ would stay open, but would shut before she entered the water.

Kaukaus are a pain to draw at an angle…

20 Likes

The lower legs and feet are a bi weird, but I like this.

Looks pretty cool, I like the way you drew the torso.

The body is pretty dang good, but it doesn’t exactly look… bionicle. You have to remember, the toa mata are mostly robotic. All their flesh decayed in those canisters, making them more mechanical than biomechanical.
So a bit more jagged armor and a few robotic looking bits here and there would prob help a ton the next time you try something like this.

Maybe this could be their pre-canister look :wink:

To be honest, I’m kind of a novice when it comes to actually drawing Bionicle type characters. I used to draw them a lot when I was a kid, but they looked…beyond horrible.

2 Likes

Ha! I know that feel
(I’m too scared to check the scrapbooks for anything that may have been saved)

Angles aren’t the best but it’s alright.

1 Like

Great job! I really like the gradations in the upper arms and upper legs!

There’s a lot of art like this in my the museum my mom works at. It’s a style a lot of professional artists today use, so I’m used to seeing it a lot. Now, while I think that overall it’s a pretty great drawing, some of the proportions of the Kaukau are off. Just something to keep in mind next time.
HOOOOOOKS/10

The Hooks are more like Sickles

1 Like

The one thing I would change is that the Kaukau looks a little squashed. Maybe if it was taller it would look better. All in all, great drawing!

Overall looks pretty cool, can’t really point out anything that hurts this too much.

That’s a good point, but I would let him draw them as he wants to. They can be stylized in many ways, and really it’s all a matter of personal preference.

The water is shaped like an S (If you twist it). Is it a symbol for hope?

Great drawing, BTW.

2 Likes

The mask looks a bit weird, but other than that, this is really well done.