Toa Nuva Vakama (Toa Nuva Tahu Revamp)

Your point was kinda lazy.
You took off a few pieces from Tahu Nuva and added some from Vakama Metru.

No, I build al this from spare parts…

…using the Tahu Nuva skeleton.

1 Like

I, on the other hand, disagree with Vladin. I understand his point, but like LegoDavid said, that is the whole point. All of the Nuva builds are practically the same, so if someone makes a MOC of one, comments about it being the same as other Nuva builds are kinda void in my opinion, especially seen as though he has used some different parts from Nuva builds entirely.

8 Likes

As much as I see your point being valid, there’s a question that needs to be asked: Why would anyone think that just making another Toa Nuva build based Moc with no practically modifications is a good idea?

5 Likes

I like it. Well, besides the glaring Mata red that would be inevitable.

1 Like

Because color-swaps can be fun. I for one have had a blast making pseudo-color-swap MOCs over past couple of years. MOC making shouldn’t be about who can make the biggest/most complex creation. LEGO is about creativity and creativity can come in a wide variety of forms. I firmly believe that MOCs like this have their place in the online BIONICLE community. Do they introduce revolutionary new building techniques? No, but that’s not the point. We should be a community that welcomes and accepts all MOCists who put time, effort and creativity into something.

Anyways, on to the actual MOC:

• Great idea to use the CCBS shoulderpad shells in lieu of the Nuva/Metru shoulders. Their rounded shape complements the chest armor and mask nicely. However, have you considered swapping them out for the silver variant? That would make the color-blocking more reminiscent of the original Nuva (and would make the silver chest stick out less).
  • I like the use of the fire claw. However, if you’re trying to echo Vakama’s Metru form, why not give him a disc shooter? You could even use the smaller Matoran variant if you (understandably) don’t want to use the huge one from the original Vakama Metru set.
  • Those darn pre-06 chest pieces come in a really limited number of colors, don’t they? I totally understand your problem (I’ve experienced the same issue time and time again with my Toa Metru-style revamps). How about make the chest piece (and feet) black? That would make the whole MOC more cohesive.
  • How about swapping out the light grey back gear and head for black ones?
  • Do you have brain stalks in any other color? I recommend experimenting with with blue or green brain stalks. They would contrast more with the dark red (and therefor make the eyes “pop” more).
  • You wouldn’t happen to have Mata limbs in dark red, would you? I believe they would make better arms than the Metru lower legs you’re currently using (which feel a bit too beefy).
    *Finally, how about taking pictures of your updated MOC in a pose (and with a background colour) reminiscent of the original 2004 canister?

Feel free to @ me @LegoDavid if you decide to make these changes, I’d love to see 'em.

Have a good one,

Dan “legomaster1378” Savard
Former TTV Message Boards Moderator

6 Likes

What is creative in swapping some pieces from an original set?

There you go.

1 Like

I might be wrong, who knows, but I believe this is called “revamping”

A revamp is when you make a brand new version of an already existing character.

I don’t know… But I feel that this is exactly what I did with this MOC…

A brand new version of an already existing character.
You took the Nuva skeleton, added a few more pieces and done! Moc!

1 Like

Yes, that was actually the original plan, but I only had one of those pieces in light grey, which was not enough, so I used those new pieces.

I don’t have that piece unfortunately.

I will do this for sure! Thanks!

I only have them in Yellow and Red

Sadly, I don’t. This were the only pieces in metru red I could use as arms, so I used those.[quote=“legomaster1378, post:12, topic:47669”]
Finally, how about taking pictures of your updated MOC in a pose (and with a background colour)
[/quote]

Sure, I can do this, but since there is nothing major I am able to change at this MOC, I don’t know if it’s worth…

Thanks for your advices anyway! They really helped me!

EDIT: My brother just destroyed the MOC to use the parts for his own MOC… I won’t be able to make those updates anymore… Thanks for your help anyway.

@Toa_Vladin If you don’t like the MOC, then don’t like it. It’s your opinion. It’s completely unnecessary to argue about this.

1 Like

But I also have the rights to express why I don’t like it.

2 Likes

That is true, but you already expressed that in your first post.

So what? More things show up. The last time I told you why I don’t consider this to be a revamp, I was not arguing.

1 Like

I don’t care what others say, this is great! Granted, the bright red does stand out a bit too much, but other than that it’s an inspired and creative creation.

Good job, David!

1 Like

i like it…

1 Like

Pretty nice. Using the CCBS pieces on the shoulder is a pretty clever move with this moc, although I do suppose you could say it only stands out because it’s the only really clever thing regarding the moc. Not that it’s your fault, but more so what you were trying to achieve. I will say that the arms are slightly off putting because of their straightness. If you have more of those leg pieces those could work as arms.

As for the people saying it’s lazy, while I understand the point it’s also a constraint that makes building the moc much more difficult. I’m 90% sure that a majority of the mocs here utilize some sort of illegal technique and out of the ones that don’t I’d bet a majority of those likely wouldn’t pass the same tests lego sets are required to pass. The point I’m trying to make is that while it can be pretty hard to make a giant elaborate titan moc, it can be equally hard to make a much simpler moc with a ton of constraints. I’ve gone through this when trying to make a custom yet “realistic” mixel, where I made sure to study other mixels to see what techniques they used and what patterns they followed, and then made sure to apply similar patterns to my moc. It’s a lot harder than it may sound.

5 Likes