Toa Tuyet : the Killer - C&C appreciated

Pretty cool, not much different from other Tuyets i’ve seen though. could definitely use a mask, though.

3 Likes

ye, i felt like leaving the artist full freedom with the mask, like gaaki

That’s how it’s going to work anyways. As of right now, there will be no option for the MOCist to request that their mask be kept.

Obviously the artist can keep the mask if they wish, but it isn’t like the Hagah, where the MOCist could mandate that their mask design be kept.

exactly

This looks pretty nice.
Though for the mask you could just use a placeholder.

me approves

1 Like

I would always advice against illegal building techniques

what sort of illegal technique?

Nui stone is neat actually

1 Like

The gearbox mod causes stress to the torso, you could argue to the end of the world over how much or how little it stresses the pieces but either way it’s illegal because it stresses parts

fair enough

1 Like

Do you have an access to other colors to spice-up the scheme a Little bit?
If you wanna keep the current shoulder design, it would be good to cover the open sockets with balljoints… Hmm you could also stick some barbs into them and angle them slightly down, since you already went for the spiky look.
I think it’d look good if barbs were either red, yellow or orange, or maybe lime to suggest that they are poisonous like with some water creatures.

To be honest i kinda felt like this moc would be a little boring, my Chiara will be much better i think. However…
hmmm, the barbs could look cool, and could add a little contrast
TO BRICKLINK!!!

1 Like

oh hey you used the same nui stone design as me neato

1 Like

I’m not sure how to feel about the all-dark color scheme, but it definitely does befit her fate.

Just asking, how can it be proved to stress the torso? Of course, I haven’t actually looked to see how the gearbox is built, but it doesn’t look to me like it’s made in such a way that it would cause damage.

The Technic ball in the centre of the gearbox collides with the axle holes immediately surrounding it. A Technic ball can only be placed like that next to a pin hole, not an axle hole.

The fact that the technique causes so much friction (which is the whole reason it’s used in the first place) is also a clue that it stresses the pieces, since friction comes from collisions between parts, and it is very rare that pieces can collide in a legal way without being specifically designed for it by Lego.

A clearer breakdown of a functionally identical gearbox can be found in the entry for the winning Kualus MOC from the Toa Hagah contest:

I fully endorse the use of this technique and will personally replace the bushings in 5-10 years should they break, if you utilize it.

That aside, I’ve since been made aware of a far simpler, more versatile, and considerably less iLlegAl technique to add friction to the Metru gear function, internally, and found a way to mod it to get independent arm articulation still.

You just gotta iterate on something til you’re happy with it and it does what you need it to do. Unless it’s because of an actual broken rule, any suggested changes are just that - a suggestion. Every TTV contest so far has yielded winning designs using “dubious techniques”, and these are far from the first canonized fan-designed models to use them either.
Don’t let people tell you how to play with your toys.
:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Remember Bomonga the Big…

I’ve come up with a pretty good friction mod for my Tuyet…
… but you won’t fully see it until the contest starts. :stuck_out_tongue:

whelp, there go da canon contests. I still feel that we could do fan contests of what we, the fans think this character should look. I still will post my Chiara and Varian and maybe Orde

3 Likes