Translation of Matoran text in MNOG 2 for Meso and Eljay

So, I was watching though MNOG 2 with Meso and Eljay, and I noted that he wants to read everything. So I have decided to play through the game myself and translate everything that I come across. I will post a picture of the text and then give the translation.

These first two posts should cover everything in Ga-Koro that Meso could have been able to find by this time.

Things to do today: Make flax!

Blue sea...A ruki leaps...The sound of water.

East Garden

Okoth's Bargain Barter: You want it... we got it! (and vice versa)

Ga-Koro Kohlii Field

Ga-Koro Shipyards

Ga-Koro Ferrylines: Ferry to Po-Koro (closed), Ferry to Ta-Koro (closed)

Do not disturb

The History of Kohlii part 1: The first game of kohlii on Mata Nui was Turaga Onewa and Turaga Whenua's idea. It was intended to settle a dispute between Onu-Matoran miners and Po-Matoran carvers, after a comment from one of the miners about the quality of certain carvings.

The History of Kohlii part 2: The Po-Matoran took exception to the remark and blamed the miners for poor quality stone. The disagreement escalated until rocks, shovels, and hammers started flying between the two camps, forcing the Turaga to step in and put a stop to the conflict.

The History of Kohlii part 3: To resolve it, they devised a competition, according to 10 simple rules.The 11th rule, or so-called "new rule," was established when some fields began to suffer pitch invasions by dangerous rahi. The rule was further expanded with the Onu-Koro addendum after an incident involving the local ussalry during a mounted crab match.

The History of Kohlii part 4: During the time of the Bohrok swarms, the game evolved into what is now called kohlii. Many attribute this changing of the game to an incident that occurred during the Bohrok invasion of Ga-Koro, when Hewkii used a Ga-Matoran fishing staff to save Macku from a falling rock. Since then, players have adopted the use of the kohlii stick and the rules have been changed to accommodate it.

The History of Kohlii part 5: Kohlii has become a staple of Matoran life, and a great occasion for celebration. Many believe it to be a fitting representation of the three virtues of unity, duty, and destiny. It is particularly important to the Po-Matoran that have become undisputed champions season after season. Pohatu, the Toa of Po-Koro, is the patron Toa of kohlii.

18 Likes

Translating all that is dedication, but still awesome non the less!

5 Likes

I have rad skills. I read Matoran almost as well as English. By almost, I mean that it took me less than a minute to translate each individual part of "The History of Kohlii." I had messaged Eljay if he wanted me as a translator for MNOG 2 with Meso, but he never got back to me. So I'm just posting everything from a specific Koro here, as Meso goes to each one in the videos. Of course, I will keep the secret stuff secret until he finds it according to the gameplay.

I would post more, but this site is being weird and won't let me upload any more pictures. I suppose I could just say where they are for the time being.

3 Likes

I am impressed. Hopefully I'll have this level of skill soon.

So, I can't post images now for some reason, so I'll just say where they are in the game. @Mesonak and @Eljay, I hope you find this helpful.

Note on the main gate (while closed):
Access to mainland temporarily closed. (Awaiting Turaga Nokama's return)

Chart on the wall in Nireta's hut:
You are here--->
Mata Nui

(Below are the rules of kohlii, found in Kotu's hut. They are all stacked in the game, so you will need to shuffle through them. I have listed them individually and in numerical order here.)

Kohlii Rule number 1: Teams number more than one but not more than six.
Kohlii Rule number 2: Teams may include any number of players greater than one, but no team will have more players than any other team.
Kohlii Rule number 3: All teams agree to the number of goals needed for victory.
Kohlii Rule number 4: The first team to reach the number of goals agreed is the winner.
Kohlii Rule number 5: All goals are good goals provided they are not own goals, as own goals are not goals.
Kohlii Rule number 6: Each team is allowed one defender who may carry a shield, but no other player may use that shield (other than in cases of 11th rule).
Kohlii Rule number 7: All players may carry one kohlii staff, and one only!
Kohlii Rule number 8: Any number of kohlii balls may be played, but balls in play must number less than either the number of teams, or the number of players per team, whichever is the smaller number.
Kohlii Rule number 9: Any player who strikes another player did not play well. Shield and staff strikes are excluded from this rule as these indicate the players are playing well.
Kohlii Rule number 10: Any player who does not play well brings dishonor to their village.
Kohlii Rule number 11: Any pitch invasion by rahi, or other beasts, postpones the competition of the game until the problem is dealt with.

(Nixie gives you a formula. It's not written down, so I wrote it here.)

The first part is the first letter of the patron Toa of Unity. The second part: multiply the villages by the principles they follow. Add the Great Spirit, his banished brother, and the Toa Kaita. Add the Virtues. Subtract one for the Chronicler, and divide that by the number of Toa.

Might as well post the stuff from the beach as well.

Sign by the path into the wilderness:
Old Fusa Path

Sign on the rock spire in front of the boulder:
Beware

I will post more translations when Meso and Eljay post another video, so I can see exactly what I need to translate. Or, they can post here where on the island they will go, and I can translate the text ahead of time.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Oops. Switching back and forth between tabs; made a mistake. Also that sentence was pretty repetitive originally. Thanks for the catch. wink

Great work!

Okay. Don't know if @Mesonak and @Eljay have started their next session of MNOG 2, but if they have, and Eljay hasn't told him a (relatively) quick way to make money yet, then I'll give you a tip, Mesonak. The price of a kohlii ball. It is worth one widget in Po-Koro, but it is worth two widgets in Ta-Koro. Go back and forth between these two Koros, buying from Po-Koro and selling in Ta-Koro. Your money will quickly multiply. Be careful with how much you sell, though, because you can only have a maximum total of 999 widgets at a time. If you sell 500 kohlii balls or more when you have no widgets, you will lose money. So be careful.

On navigating the island: When you go inland from Ga-Koro, you will eventually come across three branches in the path. The right branch leads to Po-Koro, and the middle branch leads to Onu-Koro. If you take the left branch, you will come across two branches in that path. The right branch will lead up the mountain to Ko-Koro. The left branch will lead you to Le-Koro and Ta-Koro. Ta-Koro is on the other side of a rope bridge.

If I get no message on what to translate next, and no videos come up soon, I will translate the remaining villages in this order: Onu-Koro, Ko-Koro, Le-Koro, Po-Koro, Ta-Koro. This is the order that they originally came out in back in 2003.

Should I translate the map of Ga-Koro?

Still waiting for more stuff to translate.

1 Like

This has turned out to be very useful trick after testing it.

It takes a bit of time, but it racks up money very quickly.

Also, it's not cheating. It's simply taking advantage of the economy. Or something.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for all this!

-Mesonak

5 Likes

So, I'm back; I got stuck in the drifts of Ko-Koro for a very long time without any flags and only just made it out. I see that @Mesonak and @Eljay have posted their next two chapters in MNOG 2. I should have the translations up for at least half (if not all) of the remaining Koros tomorrow.

I can't do it right now because I'm trying to do high school and college at the same time, and a whole lot of assignments are due tonight.

EDIT: I just watched through the two new videos that were up. On the subject of lightstones: you can buy them for two widgets in Onu-Koro, and sell them for one widget in Ta-Koro, Le-Koro, and Po-Koro. The kohlii balls are the only thing that turn a profit.

Also, as I said earlier, you can only get a maximum of 999 widgets. If you sell anything while you have 999 widgets, you will never receive the money. Be careful with how many kohlii balls you sell once you have 500 or more.

Eljay, I am not bragging that "I can read Matoran and you can't": I am simply saying that I read it very fluently. Things that I like stick in my head; one of those things is the ability to translate Matoran. I am simply trying to help by using the talents I have at my disposal.

2 Likes

Nice work! Patience is not something I would have to do this :3

2 Likes

Okay; here's some more. Pictures are in the order that they are translated in. (I'll post them and add more translations when I have the time; very busy with school.)

Po-Koro:

Letters on Hewkii's trophy:
MVP

Sign above doorway for kohlii field:
Po-Koro Kohlii Field

Ta-Koro:

Sign above doorway for Kohlii field:
Ta-Koro Kohlii Field

Word on the Ta-Koro emblem:
Ta-Koro

Onu-Koro:

Sign above entrance to Onu-Koro: