Trulkia, dark daughter

Hello darkness my old friend…

Smokescreen!

Dark Blast!

Small wings hidden in the cape.

Name: Tulkia
Species: Makuta-Toa of Air half-breed.
Abilites: Moderate control of Shadow and Air. Minor Shapeshifting abilities. Access to some of the Kraata powers, namely; Weather Control, Hunger, Quick Healing, Laser Vision, Accuracy, Power Scream, Silence, and Sleep. Small wings behind cape, but are incapable of giving her flying or any appreciable gliding abilities. Kanohi Mahiki.

Bio: Tulkia, is a half-breed. Her her Father was a toa, mother was a Makuta. So sad, but she’s okay with that now. (I hope someone gets that joke)

Tulkia’s mother, the fearsome Hetrilka, was the lone ruler of a small spit of land in the southern island chains. She was known for her strict ways, and harsh punishments of rebellion. Like many Makuta, she had a toa assigned to her as a bodyguard. This Toa, was a toa of air, named Vektrol. Vektrol, when he was assigned to her, was disgusted by her atrocities, but served her faithfully regardless, as was his duty. However,he would do his best to lessen the blow to the people of her realm. What he didn’t know, was that Hetrilka saw this, and loved him for it. She tried to charm him through various means, flattery, gifts, and special accommodations. Eventually, he confronted her, and asked her why she did all these horrible things, yet be so kind to him? Before she could answer, he stormed away back to his room. Heartbroken, she began to look inward, asking herself what he means. That introspection changed her, and she began to see what she had been doing. She began to loosen her grip, issue relief efforts, and generally better the lives of her subjects. Vektrol saw this change, and began to fall in love with her as well. Eventually, almost year later, he proposed, she accepted, and they got married to great fanfare within her realm. They had a child, and named her Tulkia. For the next 3 years, they raised her in secret, as they knew that if the other Makuta found out, they wouldn’t hesitate to use her as leverage. However, when Teridax came by for his inspection, due every 5 years, he discovered Tulkia’s existence, and reported to Miserix. Miserix decided that Hetrilka had gone soft, and decreed that she step down. Before she could do so however, one of the other Makuta decided to send an assassin to kidnap the child. He was discovered however, and in the fighting, Vektrol and Hetrilka were killed. Tulkia however, was discovered by a middle aged matoran of plasma, and he raised her to adulthood. He taught her the three virtues, gave her the best education he could, and eventually taught her of her past. She resolved to return to her home, and reclaim her place as ruler. Whether she does so, is up to the friends and challenges she makes along the way.

Thanks for looking, and as always, comment and crits are welcome!

17 Likes

This build is really fun and this story is really cool. I may be looking too much into it, but this character caught me at an overthinking-y moment so:

Build:
I very much enjoy this colour scheme and how it interacts with character. Her head and form under the armour appear to possess the dark green of a Toa of Air, and contrast the predominantly black and harsh-angled extremities of a Makuta. I really like that her shadowy form is hidden by the cloak, and that the red looks a little like a malevolent, Teridax-y glow lighting her from behind, which is cool and complementary. I may be reading too much into it, but the part use really gives the impression that she has access to a great amount of power in Elemental Shadow, but is a lot more naturally in control of it than, say, Takanuva, while still being a Toa at heart.
It’s also just innovative and cool. Nice knees. I’m a sucker for cape wings.

Story:
Ooooo. Oooooooo. Obviously working from a somewhat different rulebook, to great effect! I like the parental dynamic and I’m a little sad to see that it doesn’t continue, but I really like its impact on Tulkia’s nature. It seems that her foes are likely to be high-powered titans like Makuta, based on her subversive choice of mask; would I be right in presuming that she weaves air, shadow and illusion together with her shifting form to fight in a pragmatic, “dirty fair” manner against more powerful foes? Of course, otherwise, her dual command of Air and Weather could make her an extremely formidable combatant in pitched battle…

I suppose that this is where her story begins, given the lack of continuation? Is her current form chosen through minor shapeshifting, or “natural”?

Sorry for all the questions. I just love an interesting springboard.

2 Likes

Pretty much. I have a few other charecters (namely one of my favorite models in a long time named “Reaver”)that go with her that will tell her story to some extent, but there probably won’t be a fanfic or anything. I simply don’t have the writing chops for that.

Yes, this her natural form. You also almost had her fighting style down pat. In addition, my headcanon for shadow powers includes physical objects made of shadow, so she often makes several floating blades made of pure shadow to fight with, similar to Penny from RWBY or Master Core from SSB4.

In addition, she uses her accuracy powers to make a shadow bow and fire that at range.

And no need to apologize, I love it when people ask questions. I usually have a alot more backstory to my MOCs than I ever talk about because most people look at the model, then move on.

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

Very neat little build! I really like the use of the Phasma cape.

1 Like

The MOC seems overall alright. To me it doesn’t look like a female MOC, but it looks solid.

BTW I really like the name

I’m always here for more backstory/story in general! Plus, the only way to acquire greater writing chops is to do it. :wink:

Haha, glad to hear that I’m still not bad at reading character from powerset. It sounds like she’s really experienced at using them; I’m guessing she can’t rely quite as much on physicality as most Makuta can.

That shadow-blade thing is awesome; I picture several concurrent duels as training. It also gives you a convenient excuse to give her claw hands without needing to hold anything.

Not for lack of trying, let me tell you.

Yep. Her body is more akin to that of a toa, the main difference being that her body is a blend of solid protodermis and solid antidermis, kept in some sort of balance.

SHH! Don’t rat me out!

Bingo. The claw hands always look cool, but it’s always annoying to me when i can’t give them weapons. One design I’ve always had floating around, is a makuta that uses a large, bladed ring made of shadows, and spins it, floats it, and otherwise fights with it. I got the idea from a Skylanders: Trap team figure I never owned, (I don’t own any skylanders stuff), but saw in an ad inside of a boy-scouts “Boy’s Life” Magazine.

Inspiration comes from the weirdest places doesn’t it?Anyway, since then, I’ve toyed with Makuta making solid shadow weapons. That way, they not only don’t have to carry it around, if they get knocked unconscious, or otherwise loose their weapon, they can simply dissolve it, and reform it as needed.

Mmm I do feel that. Still! Always worth trying again!

Ah. Interesting… Is armour necessary/does she gain the benefits of antidermis like not needing to sleep?

Aha! Gotcha. I definitely like the design workaround you went with through her powers! And yeah, for me, inspiration can come from just about anywhere. Books, movies, cool wildlife… quite often cool wildlife. Definitely, Makuta seem likely to use shadow weapons. I suppose one thing to bear in mind that both Toa and Makuta prefer using a specific item as a focus for their powers, but there’s no real reason that they must do so, just that it’s easier.

Yep, currently working on a RWBY Road Trip style one-shot, hopefully it’ll turn out well!

Sadly no, due to the other portion of her biology requiring sleep. Also, it’s solid, not gaseous, I presume the Makuta needed sleep before they changed.