Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

I want to end this discussion

HOWEVER

I think we can continue this in a Pm, how does that sound?

Whether the fans think so or not, it’s kind of true. Ninjago is close to beating Bionicle in it’s life span, being currently in it’s 9th year, and not showing any signs of stopping any time soon. It has a great TV Show that has arguably improved over time, and a pretty complex, yet easily accessible story. It was last year in LEGO’s top 5 best selling themes. It has gathered in those years a pretty large fan-base, that may not be as big as the Bionicle one, yet big enough to potentially continue after the theme gets canceled.
Again, Ninjago can’t even compare to Bionicle, but what has done so far deserves at least a little bit of praise in my opinion.

1 Like

…aside from that soft reset from the movie? To be honest, Ninjago seems like a tired series, there’s not much they can do that’s new and won’t be torn apart or compared to another year.

The core characters are the same, the villains fall into categories. Bionicle did things fresh each year whether it be changing the style drastically (Compare the Inika to the Mahri or the Hordika and the Metru) or changing the theme (Inika to Mahri) or even just changing the villain (Bohrok to Rahkshi).

[details=On the Castle theme]Also because I’m super late to the party on this one, I checked Eurobricks and cannot find any support for the castle theme. I think the reason castle has run as long as it has is for 2 reasons.

1. It is not a continuous story theme, it has breaks wherein things are changed in the next iteration, knights kingdom is different from kingdom, some have magic, others don’t and characters change.

2. It’s generic as heck. It’s literally just castles, people don’t need to get invested into it to love a castle, I don’t need a backstory for a cool castle.

There is a fanbase on Eurobricks for castles sure but that doesn’t mean they’re fans of the castle theme. Bionicle had a rich story to it, that’s why the fans have kept it going for such a long time, castle never did, I never wanted to learn more about castle and I did buy a lot of castle sets.[/details]

Ending with a new thing to start a fresh conversation which someone will ignore due to the content above, I don’t like lego city being so flat, chuck in a bridge or incline somewhere, even if its a small bridge over a pond.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion time!

I really like city, sure they do similar things like police stations but they do also do new things as well

You don’t have to look hard, there are many great gems like these! But tragically they have been overlooked, left there, the police stations sell better but this stuff sure is interesting

Edit: just checked something, there aren’t that many police sets in city at all! 109/607 and there are only 57 fire sets!

1 Like

Well, that is how the theme has always been, yet people still like it. Tired or not, it still manages to improve with each passing wave.
Have you seen the trailer for the new season? I don’t know about you, but I personally have never been so hyped for a new Ninjago season in a long time.

Attempts to ■■■■■ back to unpopular opinions about Lego

I think some Jack Stone sets are pretty cool

1 Like

I tend to agree with that. The problem with Jack Stone was not the Weird Figures as most people think, but rather the over-juniorized builds. And yes, a few of the sets aren’t really that bad.
But still I don’t like the theme overall.

I kind of despise adult Lloyd. He was amazing as a kid, but after that aging stuff, he just became kind of boring, and Child’s Play gives a bad taste in my mind because of that. Really the only positive thing Lloyd has done in a while in my opinion is introduce my favorite single character in the series, Harumi.

2 Likes

I did like the sets but the minis were a little jarring.

Edit: I NEED THE PIZZA TRUCK

1 Like

I like the Av Matoran.
I honestly never really understood why they are so despised in the Bionicle community.

I mean, I understand why (they have, like, ten pieces, no creativity, and no pose-ability), but I still like them. Gavla was my first Bionicle set, so nostalgia and stuff.

3 Likes

I actually prefer the Shadow Matoran to the Av-Matoran. They were much more uniquely shaped and interesting compared to their pretty static and boring alternatives.

3 Likes

Well, they have more pose ability than the original matoran, that is for sure.

I mean a lot of other sets such as Turaga, Bohrok Va, Rahaga etc didn’t have much creativity either, yet they are nowhere near as disliked as the Av Matoran.

Those “flaws” never made much sense to me.

Look at them in comparison to the 2007 matoran, they’re a significant downgrade

Fewer parts, that are almost all difficult to use when mocing, compaired to the fun parts pack of before

5 Likes

I still kinda like them, they don’t have that bad possibility, better than the mata and I always see their bodies, eyes and masks used on mocs, they also have eyes and hands unlike half of the mahritoran

1 Like

That may be the case, but that doesn’t necessary make them bad.

Well, if you’re talking about the McDonald’s toys, sure, but their arms are literally rubber, so their articulation is technically infinite…

Okay, but yeah, I’m referring to the actual sets, with gear functions and everything.

There’s a level of creativity that goes into attached the individual pieces of the torso, creating the head, and each one is slightly different in a unique way (besides Rahaga, but those are still infinitely more complex).

If you show me a picture of an Av-Matoran, I could tell you exactly how to build it with a second. You just click on the limbs, hands, head, weapons, feet, mask, and jet pack and you’re done. There’s only variation in shape and color, never the build itself. The building experience is awful, and that’s what separates Bionicle from action figures.

The fact that LEGO regressed in their creativity and building ability back to 2001? That isn’t a con? My favorite year is 2007, and the fact that the next year seems to be several steps back (excluding vehicles) really can’t be ignored.

Don’t get me wrong, I like 2008, and it speaks the most “Bionicle” to me thanks to my past, but what really do the Av-Matoran have that the Mahri-toran don’t? And if you say eyes, their entire head is just a block of transparent plastic. If you say hands, there is nothing individual about each one. I’m, of course, excluding the Shadow Matoran; those were unique in ways the Av-Matoran aren’t.

They had an actual build. Av-Toran are 13 pieces I can assemble in my sleep. Rahaga, Turaga, and Bohrok-Va all have decently complex builds in comparison.

They have roughly the same amount as the Mata with less pieces and a less interesting building experience, with fewer overall functions and brittle pieces. Comparatively speaking, the Av-Toran are the worse experience.

And then yeah, what Noah said.

My unpopular opinion is that Hero Factory isn’t actually as bad as I remember it, and I think the show and the podcast were some of the highlights of the theme.

9 Likes

I agree. People who don’t like Hero Factory should consider some of those you mentioned…

1 Like

I think people hated Hero Factory only because it replaced Bionicle.

1 Like