Uses of Protodermis

I don’t know if such a device would exist due to the extensive climate control system of the Great Spirit Robot. While it presumably could be built, the Matoran would have no need to make one.

However, for your second question, they probably could make Japanese-style paper lanterns from protodermis. We have examples of plants being used to make textiles in MNOG II, and the technology used could possibly make paper-like materials.

1 Like

If that is the case, could you please provide with evidence.

Also another thing, I know that after a lot of posts, there were mentions that Protodermis can be detrimental to non-Protodermis based organisms. Is there a possibility that Protodermis can be made poisonous? If so, is there a way to detox the Protodermis? And furthermore, I found out that Protodermis can come in powdery form and in liquid form, but is it possible for any Matoran or Dark Hunter or shady person in the Matoran universe to create a drug out of the Protodermis similarly to real life drugs?

1 Like

the real question is why you need answers to all these seemingly-random questions

This is where the textile production occurs in-game. It depicts rope and string being produced.

1 Like

Look, I have to know because I need to know if the Protodermis has limit when it comes to uses or not as well. Furthermore figuring out the uses of the Protodermis can be used to figuring out the lore of the Matoran universe more. I mean if there is a sword that uses Protodermis for its blade, it wouldn’t mean that it would last forever as the blade tends to break from extreme force or rust.

Also speaking of rust, is it possible for Protodermis to be corroded, eroded or rusted? And if that is the case is there a possibility to mitigate these followings?

2 Likes

This topic might be useful in general:

This does not answer my question. I was asking if it is possible to be made similar to post 57 of this topic, whether if it is possible to create a drug out of Protodermis or not as this could tie into the lore of the Matoran universe. I mean the Bionicle story took a dark turn, what with all the body horror, the death flags as well as the wars happening, I just need to know if it is possible for Protodermis to be synthesized into this or not.

1 Like

just imagine Matoran in a metru nui alleyway snorting powdered protodermis off a kanoka disk

5 Likes

Metallic protodermis probably can rust
The Vahi, mask of time, rusted and became orange in color after being submerged in a sea
Metallic protodermis can also be eroded by the Jutlin (mask of corruption), corrosive substances, and general wear and tear

2 Likes

I know that Protodermis has a bacteria variant such as Protodites but is it possible for Matoran, or any character in the Matoran universe to grow or create their own Protodites. If that is the case, is it possible to create Protodites that can eat Protodermis similar to metal eating Bacteria?

2 Likes

Makuta create rahi by mixing various “viruses” in vats of liquid protodermis. I’m guessing that anyone could make rahi through that method if they knew how to, however the protodites were invented by the Great Beings, and I can’t find any information on how exactly they went about doing it

There is mention of an armor-eating virus on BS01, so a microscopic protodermis-eating creature is most likely possible

2 Likes

There is also the mention of a Toa of Plasma being turned into a puddle after Zaktan tortures him during an interrogation. Given that Zaktan is made of millions of protodites, he could have done something similar to that with his body.

1 Like

I think Greg has said he wanted to imply Zaktan ate the Toa.

Edit: I was wrong, Greg left it vague intentionally

3 Likes

Actually Protodites are more likely modeled after mites, not bacteria.
Anyway, yes it would be possible if they knew how as @Atobe_Brick said. We have seen metal-eating virus before, so metal eating protodites are not out of question.

The answer once again is probably yes, but Lego would never do that in story. The closest we get is Brutaka’s antidermis addiction in 2006, but that was (no doubt intentionally) shown in a negative light, possibly as a hidden anti-drug message.

3 Likes

I know that it was shown in Brutaka’s case to be an addiction via antidermis, but what if some of the Matoran used the Protodermis for a Pharmacy or a hospital like village to treat the injured or sick Matoran? I mean there were signs of Matoran getting sick from those Kohlii Balls called Comets in the original Mata Nui Online Game, as well as Av-Matoran being infected to become Shadow Matoran only to have their light restored by the Klakk. Maybe there could be some Protodermis remedy to treat the infection from those previous Mata Nui Online games in the form of a medicine, as well as a Protodermis treatment that would have the Protodermis go in a frequency similar to the Sonic screams of a Klakk which could restore the light of the Av-Matoran or something? I don’t know I mean it is possible. In real life Ultrasound as well as powerful sound waves were used to treating illnesses, so maybe, just maybe, but I could be wrong on this. If you have any argument that could contradict this, please provide evidence.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there’s no evidence of protodermis having such qualities.

The Comet balls did create a sickness, but Av-Matoran being turned into Shadow Matoran was due to having their light drained, and even then it didn’t instantly turn them evil - as shown through Radiak’s own corruption, it’s more of an immense power boost which goes straight to the user’s ego. Other individuals with Shadow Powers have shown moral ambiguity or even strict adherence to moral codes, like Makuta Miserix, who was willing to kill in order to protect the universe.

See, here’s the issue.

Carbon, in the real world, is an element which is the esential building block for all living matter. Everything down to the smallest microscopic organism is made from carbon. It’s an incredibly versatile element.

Protodermis is Carbon on a universal scale. In the Great Spirit Robot, nearly every single thing is made out of protodermis, down to the rocks and sand. It’s like how in real life there are a number of different atomic elements which serve as the building blocks for all physical matter, except protodermis is literally all of them.

Not everything in all of Bionicle is protodermis, though - only the stuff the great beings made; matoran, toa, and all the GSR inhabitants as well as the GSR itself are made from the stuff. It’s the ultimate resource as it can become practically anything you need it to if you’re a great being.

So, it’s definitely possible that somehow a cure for poison could be made out of protodermis, but for the majority of GSR inhabitants, a cure would likely consist of some kind of curing power rather than any sort of orally ingested supplement, as consuming something with your mouth rather than just absorbing the nutrients through your hands is seen as disgusting.

If you have an argument that supports it, you could also maybe provide evidence as well, since, y’know, the burden of proof is yours.

3 Likes

I was under the impression that this boosted ego was still a direct consequence of the Shadow Leech; the Light drain completely changed the way beings see themselves and the world.

3 Likes

I remembered you asking about the foil and I have found more examples and wanted to extend it further.
Matoran celebration equipment:
In Mask of Light movie we see during the kohlii match that the crowd throws confetti and glitter up in the air, so this would be more protodermis foil.

The also have flags and foam fingers, but these are more likely to be made from natural materials rather than protodermis. We know from MNOG II that flags are made of bamboo and seaweed. We also see in that game that various species of sponges live in the sea, so they could be the material for foam finger. They would still need some dye to color the flags.

Matoran of Mata Nui can also make fireworks implying they developed something similar to gunpowder and fire colorants.

It is ambiguous for some of these how much of it was made of protodermis and how much of natural materials.

2 Likes

I know that the organic matter die off and leaves the unnatural protodermis. Isn’t there some way to synthesize a material that will give a texture similar to the organic tissue that gives the sponginess, and the fabric like texture? Like synthetic or something.

2 Likes

If there is, the Matoran living on Mata Nui don’t have any way to access it.

Most of them lived very technologically simple lives, with the peak of technology being things like smelting metal and carving messages into stone. Granted, the GSR could shape protodermis into dirt, metal, liquid metal, organic tissue, living beings, and more, so it’s theoretically possible, but definitely not by your average Matoran.

2 Likes