Voltron

I thought his name was Sven in the original.

It was. But Shiro is apparently based on Sven.

If you want to get technical, his name was Shiro in the original anime. Sven was something the dubbers came up with.

1 Like

I think its a bait and switch this time around. Everyone will be led to think that Shiro will die and instead it’ll be someone else.

Neat trailer.

I can’t really remember what happens in the first season tho.

I’ll probably marathon both, when the new lot comes out…

2 Likes

They keep finding them cause of that dang cybernetic arm. I say rip it off already and make something new.

Alright. So after finally watching the season 2 trailer, I can say its not nearly as mind shattering as the apparently fake one. The only thing I’m really concerned about is how much people are going to flip out because Keith doesn’t appear to be wearing a ■■■■■ in one shot.

On the official trailer on Youtube around %40-60 of the comments are “OMG KEITH’S SHIRTLESS!!!”

1 Like

Who cares about Keith, I want more Shiro Shirtless scenes. Space Dad da best (well second best, after my boy Hunk who is literally me if I was suddently in that Universe).

1 Like

Personally I want more Pidge, Lance, and Hunk. Not all at once, just more focus on those three characters. Though having moments with two or all three of them at a time would be appreciated, due to how well they play off of each other. Especially Pidge and Hunk.

I loved the show, though I did get some parts spoiled for me.

#EVERYBODY SHUT UP AND WATCH THIS!!!
(Warning for swearing)

That feeling when you go to recomend Voltron to a Power rangers fan, but you get the feeling that the other person is most likely an immature fanboy of Power Rangers…

Anyways…You know? I wonder if my liking of Power Rangers helped me get into Voltron. I started out with Power Rangers, but one night I was up late with boomerang on and then there was Voltron. You look at Power Ranger/Super Sentai and they are very similar to Voltron.

Update to my inital reply: I went and looked up that thing about the original being two animes. The first season (lion force) was originally Beast King GoLion and the second season (vehichle force) was originally a series called Armored Fleet Dairugger XV. So Lion force wasn’t a hybrid, Lion force and Vehicle force together are the hybrid.

1 Like

That being said. Watch the video I have linked above you.

Well, I’ve watched some bits and pieces of the new Voltron (like the first 5 episodes of both seasons. I watched the second season because my brother was watching it.) and I’ve been really enjoying it. I didn’t even know what the heck Voltron was, and I’m glad I decided to watch it, because it’s pretty great. However…

This led me to get interested in the original episodes, which IMO I’ve enjoyed more. This has led me to find some issues with the new show I feel the old one did better.

• The Villains: The first 80’s Voltron episode I watched was the first one on the Netflix listing, which featured Prince Lotor. I was really impressed by this guy. He seemed like a fun villain, and I felt his lack of appearance in the new show thus far has been what’s been missing to me. New Voltron is missing dynamic villains. I like the heroes (a ton better than the 80’s version, actually), but it’s hard to root for them when the villains are just kinda… Bland. I wanna see these guys win, but when they DO, it doesn’t feel satisfactory. New Voltron seriously needs more dynamic villains if it wants to really catch my interest.

• The universal conflict: The thrill of the danger of the Zarkon Empire in the new Voltron is lacking, simply put. I know they want to put an end to the Zarkon Empire, but these planets are so spread out and don’t have dense populations. Plus, most of the problems we see in the show for the inhabitants don’t come from the Zarkon; it comes from either their own people or the Voltron team itself. Thus, I have a hard time feeling the evil of said empire. Now let’s see the 80’s Zarkon. First episode? They destroy several cities on a planet, lead the people underground, and later on (when the planet is restored and population is more dense), Zarkon still terrorizes them. Thus, we know why the Zarkon Empire should be stopped. I just don’t feel that in this new show.

• The Plot: New Voltron’s first few episodes are pretty spectacular in retrospect, so I wasn’t gonna mention this, however… I find 80’s Voltron to pull it off better. The new Voltron is still exploring some of season 1’s plot points (like Shiro’s past) into season 2, and it’s taken forever to establish some key parts of the lore (like Ro-Beasts, which were introduced in the first episode of 80’s Voltron). Simply put, new Voltron is taking the pace WAAAAY slower, and thus is building it at a slower pace. Meanwhile, the first 4 or so episodes of the old Voltron set up all this stuff pretty fast and at a good pace.
    Even then, the new show feels slow on it’s overarching plot of defeating the Zarkon Empire. Sometimes there is even filler episodes (which I usually despise in plot-driven shows). Sure the old show has filler, but I feel the new show is purposefully story and character driven, and it feels like it’s just taking it too slow, and even too safe.
    Meanwhile, we get Robeasts, villains, the destruction of a planet’s surface, and the threat of the Zarkon in the first 4 episodes of the old Voltron. It’s a staggering difference that I enjoyed more.

Overall, I discovered the main differences of the old and new Voltron: the new Voltron seems to be driven more by characters and discovery, while the old one is driven by simply trying to establish an imposing threat and is focused on action.

I’m not saying the new one is bad (I actually really like it, especially the new Coran), but the old one is just much more appealing to me.

3 Likes

Compared to the 80s Voltron and the Dreamworks one, the Dreamworks one has far better artstyle, animation quality, sound quality, theme, voice acting, and anything else visually.

I love how the enemy race is drawn, I love how the Lions look, and I love the Studio Mir artists.

Like far, far, far, better visual experience.

The new one is less of a joke.

And that awesome new soundtrack.

The new series is amazing. I love it to death. The finale of Season 2 actually had me cheering. I love the characters, visual style, characters and writing. Having people who worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra definitely helps the show.

Also Space Mall best episode amirite.

Yes, yes it is.

2 Likes

Theme and art Style is debatable to me, but I agree that the new one has a better visual experience. (although that video does give the worst of the worst, and I’m sure someone could compile a video of New Voltron’s worst moments. Also, give it a break; it was an under-budgeted 80’s cartoon.)

I just feel Dreamworks’s Voltron is missing the pacing it should have, along with important story elements.