Were Makuta ever considered good?

There is a discussion occurring regarding whether or not Makuta could have ever been considered heroes in the early history of the MU. Was there a point in time that the Makuta were considered to generally be forces of good, and some being able to labeled as heroes? I.E., say Teridax in his early days?
I am most specifically hoping for a direct answer from Greg so we are not having to make our own inferences based on what we already currently have to debate.

3 Likes

Yes. It has been confirmed that Rakshi were created by the great beings and had an purpose in the MU. What this purpose was is uknown.

Makuta were created by the Mata nui and tasked to create Rahi in order to fill the ecosystems with life. It can be assumed functioning ecosystems helped matanui in some way. Therefore they were beneficial beings.

Makuta also helped to defeat the league of six kingdoms, an arguably good deed.

Why are Makuta beings of Shadow? Since Great beings didnā€™t create Shadow matoran it can be assumed they did not serve a purpose within the universe. Alongside other beings full of shadow.

According to BS01 Makuta were not created full of shadow. They shunned their inner light away, similarly how in the melding alternate universe they shunned their darkness away. Makuta consciously chose to make themselves beings of shadow.

Iā€™d assumme most of the timeline Makuta were seen very much like Skeksis in Dark crystal universe. Benelovent rulers/ lords who served the matanui / crystal of Thra untill they became proud, ugly and corrupt.

6 Likes

Ooh, nice dark crystal reference

1 Like

I mean, yeah. For instance, in the first chapter of Legacy of Evil (set 7,000 years prior to the present), when Vezok is deciphering the Makoki Stone, heā€™s shocked by what it is: ā€œThis is a record of the Brotherhood of Makutaā€¦ One of the most powerful and benevolent organizations in the universeā€¦ā€ (12). Admittedly, Vezok does then go on to wonder why these Toa would be collecting information on the Brotherhood if theyā€™re so good, but Greg covers himself by saying that ā€œthese Toa donā€™t [trust the Brotherhood]ā€ (13)(emphasis mine). Plus, thereā€™s the moment in Legends of Metru Nui when Makuta reveals himself, and Lhikan exclaims ā€œMakuta, you were sworn to protect the Matoran!ā€ And remember, Norikā€™s Hagah only learned of the Brotherhoodā€™s plans of betrayal 1,300 years ago, and they were the only ones to find that out.

If you want earlier than that, like Gee said Teridax and the Brotherhood defeated the League, who were trying to usurp Mata Nui (no idea if the general population ever knew this, but it doesnā€™t seem unreasonable, all things considered), as well as generally creating Rahi and settling disputes (like Mutran and Icarax did in The Mutran Chronicles). Admittedly Teridax did also perpetrate the Archives Massacre which (I believe) left a foul taste in the Matoransā€™ mouths, but it also ended a devastating civil war, soooo :woman_shrugging:.

As a whole, Iā€™d say that, though they were probably grumbled at, they were mostly entirely seen as good guys, or at least being on the side of good.

2 Likes

Iā€™d think so too. There are real life instances if soldiers/governments performing harsh actions and still considered to be ā€˜goodā€™ or ā€˜heroicā€™ by the people. And outsiders perspective always has more clarity though. I would still prefer an answer from Greg on this. Everything thats been stated is what I already know and has been brought up. It seems peopleā€™s worldviewā€™s have different receptions to this and without more clarity its all still arguable.

1 Like

I would like to think itā€™s like an angel demon thing. Makuta are kinda the other side of the coin so you canā€™t just kill them.

2 Likes

GB left Teridax a very important fate, so Iā€™m pretty sure Makuta was created because of that need. :thinking: :blush:
In my opinion, Makuta was created as a ā€œdirty heroā€ to achieve the main goal:repairing Spherus Magna.
(Although it may have been unwilling for them)

1 Like

Maybe he was always intended to replace mata Nui? But him doing so too early lead to his death?

1 Like