Were the Toa Metru based on Teenagers?

After rewatching Legends of Metru Nui, I discovered something interesting. The Toa Metru’s personalities correspond to common teenage stereotypes, and many of their masks reflect that. Here’s the list I’ve compiled.
Nokama: Nerdy girl. Her Mask’s eyes could represent glasses.
Matau: Hotshot speed demon. hits on the nerdy girl. the long swept back mask could represent slicked back hair.
Whenua: History buff. Not sure if his mask ties into that or not.
Onewa: Bully. His Mask’s one eyehole is reminiscent of sunglasses
Nuju: Genius. his telescopic eye is like a lab microscope
Vakama: Guy who’s unsure of his place in the world. kinda depressed. His Mask has a mustache at the bottom.

So, what do you think? Am I seeing patterns that aren’t there? Or have I uncovered a secret that has lain hidden for a decade?

29 Likes

This makes the topic.

I’ve noticed it before. It seems a bit odd, but fitting.

11 Likes

Yeah, that actually makes complete sense. Never thought of it that way, good observation. ~Pyrox

6 Likes

The mask powers also sort of reflect this. Vakama feels like he doesn’t belong, and can turn invisible. “Nerdy” Nokama can read any language.

9 Likes

Yeah, I’ve wondered that myself. It’s pretty cool to see the correlations, even if they aren’t really there.

1 Like

Onewa can mind control. that kinda seems like bullying.

7 Likes

Whenua’s mask lets him see in the dark, or “history.” Onewa’s mask lets him control other people just like a bully would. Matau is you jokester, who imitates other people, just like his mask of Illusions, and Nuju can use his little telescope to see stuff other people can’t.

8 Likes

Interesting, I never really thought about it like that.

3 Likes

Wow. Never thought of this. Cool thought.

I don’t think that they based them off of teens, but come to think of it it does fit in.

I’ve always thought the toa metru were more -excuse the term- “human” than the nuva, or even the inika/mahri. They had realer struggles, more difficult dynamics and more strenuous inner turmoil.

3 Likes

you’ve blown my mind man

(boom)

1 Like

Well. My self MOC has a mustache (white Huna Metru). I guess that isn’t TOO bad.

1 Like

Mind. Double blown.

Actually, Whenua’s mask lights up in the dark…meaning that he’s…

(Sunglasses)

Bright

-MT

8 Likes

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

• Reference to something.

Sorry. Couldn’t help it.

But seriously, that’s snicker punny…

I think they really reminded me of a team of superheroes, honestly. Even the LoMN models of them look like power rangers.

Actually, if you think about, each year the Toa team seemed a bit older than the last. The Toa Mata were young and inexperienced, the Metru where, as you said, teenagers, the Mahri were young adults, and the Mistika/Phantoka were adults. This also corresponds with the size of the sets, how they grew as time went on.

3 Likes

What an interesting idea.

3 Likes

And then we have the Stars…old men perhaps?

1 Like

I wasn’t considering anything Glatorian or later, just Toa teams.