Were the Toa Metru based on Teenagers?

Technically it’s Tahu, Takanuva and…that…other guy…

…he had a name, right?

Are you talking about Stars? The third guy was Gresh.

1 Like

The Toa Metru were absolutely based on teenagers in regards to personality, and the entire COL arc was… some weird coming-of-age thing. But physically? Nah.

2 Likes

In regards to personality wise, to an extent yes. All Toa are based on child or teenage figures even now. Its kind of being a thing since the old days ><

In terms of physical attributes, I feel you kind of just saw what you wanted to see…

The mask is modelled after a fish wearing swimming goggles more than glasses

Onewa’s mask is modelled after a welding mask. In the movie this is represented by the scene showing him working

Matau’s mask is made to represent a helmet of some kind of, as shown via the concept art. I don’t think it was meant to ever represent hair.

A moustache grows from above the lip, under the lip is a form of beard in this case Vakama’s bump on his chin could be taken to represent either a goatee or a soul patch, neither are really notable for being grown by teenagers…

4 Likes

this is such a funny topic

Gresh who? That sounds sort’ve like a fruit. Is it related to the Thornaxx?

3 Likes

Gresh? This guy?

Amazing Glatorian? Wielder of “Amazing Toa powers”? Seriously, how can’t you remember him?

5 Likes

That’s one skinny watermelon.

Ohh wait, yeah, now I remember. He’s that one guy who had zero story relevance but LEGO wanted to promote him a ton all the same. Yeaaaaaaaaaah.

(I was being sarcastic this whole time, you know >.>)

8 Likes

Quote of the year.

9 Likes

I know, it’s so sad :frowning:

I realized that :smile:

unless thiers a backround i dont see the point of this article

How did we get from the Toa Metru to skinny watermelons of DOOOOOOOOOOM? I am reading the thread derailment gauge at… 297.1 out of 300! Quickly! talk about the Toa Metru!

Uh oh, I sense Moderators approaching! Quick! Uh…uh… metru…! Uh…Teens! Uh…they’re alike ! Uh…Moderators smash through door NOOO! It’s not my fault ! it’s - BAM

5 Likes

LOLz!
Now, what else is there to talk about concerning the Toa Metru…
ring ring Who is it? Rockho! How is TTV prison?
:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think that the character types they went for in creating the Toa Metru do resemble “teenager” tropes, but I don’t think that was the exact purpose behind it.

3 Likes

It does make sense if you think about the target audience. Bionicle was aimed at kids 7+ at the start. So a large number of those those kids were now entering their early teens. Therefore it made the most sense to have the main characters fit personalities that its audience could relate to.

While this aspect is part of why bionicle was such a good series to keep going back to year after year for the older fans, it also is what made it hard for the younger potential audience members to get invested in it.

2 Likes

That actually makes a ton of sense; I hadn’t thought of it that way.

2 Likes

I think the Toa Metru were very much based on young teenage stereotypes, but the same is true of all the Toa, excepting perhaps the Mata/Nuva, who were based more on general hero archetypes. As Chro said, the whole Metru Nui arc had a ‘coming of age’ vibe to it, with the Metru going from Matoran to Toa, to the Hordika (and yes, you could argue that the Hordika phase of the characters was akin to a Bionicle puberty), then finally becoming Turaga, worldly wise and ready to guide the Toa Mata.

Of course, you could also say that most Bionicle characters (or at least heroes) were based off traditional young teen stereotypes because that was the target audience… but that’s not as fun, is it?

1 Like

Well, this is a kids theme…

I fail to see what this has to do with being depressed.

sarcasm engaged Well obviously it’s the Mustache of Depression add-on that gets added to the Kanohi of all downhearted Matoran. Like the Eyebrows of Wisdom that get added to Noble Kanohi to signify that these turaga know what they’re talking about. Facial hair is critical to the forging of Kanohi. sarcasm disengaged

1 Like