What Bionicle means to me even now that I’m a legal adult.

Hi. My names Kyle. And I’m 18, going on 19 in November.

Annnnd Bionicle has been in my life for almost 20 years now. And I wanna just post my personal story and opinion about a line of toys that basically changed my life.

My story started in roughly 2005. The Flashback years. I never knew about Bionicle at the time and in fact, the only kind of interaction I had with LEGO at all was a friend of mine who had a Bohrok and we’d play with them all the time.

Flash forward a few years and I got my first Bionicle set: Toa Inika Matoro.

My friend had told me to buy one and learn more cause they were super cool to him and I went “wow that looks really cool”. I went to my local Zellers (remember those lol) in my hometown of Oshawa, Ontario and I begged my mom to buy me Matoro cause I thought he looked cool. I later then discovered BIONICLEstory.com, and learned the story from there. Years of history came flooded to my mind and I was hooked instantly. I would download the story’s, read the serials and comics etc.

And all these years later, now that I had no choice but to sell my collection because I had no money for food (job searching sucks just saying), I still check the Bionicle story website and visit old sites every other chance I get for nostalgia. I still watch Eljays recap reviews and heck I’m not ashamed to admit I still play the PC version of Bionicle Heroes every now and then, thanks to BioMedia Project for having free version for download.

This line of toys and media stuck with me until it was cancelled. I was heartbroken on that day. The line I loved as a kid and loved for literal years was cancelled and sent off with a disappointing wave of Matoran build Toa and Villain sets. Essentially classic sets don’t get me wrong but otherwise a little disappointing.

This series means more to me than JUST toys. It’s a franchise that saved LEGO, a franchise that inspired millions, and a franchise that shouldn’t be shunned amongst older people. Like I get it Teenagers arent really into toys now (I can tell you I lost my habit about three years ago lol) but it’s still a great nostalgia rise to see these old sets and just play with them.

Bionicle is a legacy series that 2015 didn’t do well enough for me in my opinion.

And I also admit I bought a DVD of Bionicle Legend Reborn at DOLLARAMA of all places.

Thank you, it’s a short post but I’m tired and I can’t really fit how I feel about Bionicle into one piece of media. :heart:

12 Likes

Funny, that was where I first heard about Bionicle, too. I had just gotten my first Lego magazine, and I saw some pages devoted to these really cool Visorak, and Toa Hordika, and the big awesome playsets. Then in 2006, I started to get into the story.

I give a hard second to this.

I love Bionicle just as much as you. I just turned 20 a couple months ago, and I still feel very nostalgic towards Bionicle. I kind of regret not getting more G2 sets, but if and when G3 comes…I’ll be there.

2 Likes

I, as well, fall into this stage of getting into Bionicle. My brother was a casual fan from the start, so we had Bionicle parts in the house literally my entire life, but the first set I remember him getting in box was Makuta (in 2004, I think? I doubt I would’ve remembered it if it was actually in '03). The first sets I got, though were Iruni and the red Visorak in 2005. That was when I started reading the comics (the only way I could follow the story during its run, since I didn’t know there were novels until the very end). Actually, because of this, I didn’t realize the Bionicle had actually ended in 2010, since the comics from '05 touted themselves as the ‘final battle’ (at the time I didn’t know they were prequels), as did the comics from 2008. Around 2012 or 2013 I finally found the books at my library, and read the ones that they had (not the full collection, I’m afraid), and began to find the community through Youtube, which eventually led me to @ToatapioNuva Biological Chronicle, the first time I read the story in full (big thanks, by the way. Your effort led to a much more accessible Bionicle). So, I ended up getting into Bionicle when my brother got out, and I’m the one who’s still into it.

2 Likes

Thanks dude. Honestly. Ngl, I got judged by my family and some “friends” who said it was childish to play with the figures and parts and going back and being nostalgic made me feel better lol

2 Likes

i’ve only been to canada once in my current memory (went a few times when i was younger) but dollarama was undeniably my favorite part.