What books are you currently reading?

When was that book originally published? Before or after 2003?

Bionicle: encyclopedia by Greg farshtey.

2 Likes

I highly doubt it’s more than a coincidence. Rs, Ks, and Shs aren’t that unique in sci-fi names.

3 Likes

Everything that Winger said, but I’ll also add there’s a Nepalese drink called “Raksi” that he could’ve based the name off of as well. Honestly, if there’s one thing I could praise about Watts’ writing (and there’s a bit), it’s that he makes up names that feel real, like you could trace them back to the 14th century, even though they’re totally fictional.

I just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman. Awesome story, fantastically written, super spooky, with just the right amount of existential undertones for me. 100% would recommend. It’s quite an short and easy read as well, only took me a evening and a bit the next afternoon, and I’m not a particularly fast reader.

3 Likes

re-reading Goosebumps books

2 Likes

I’m currently reading the Star Wars book, “The Truce at Bakura” (well, maybe not “currently”, but I’m working on it), and when I finish, I’ll move on to reading the famous Thrawn Trilogy… which will definitely take a long time…

1 Like

I’m reading Wings of Fire rn. It’s a YA book series about dragons. Tbh, even though it’s a YA series, it has some of the best characters I’ve ever read. There’s a lot of characters but all of them feel unique/distinct in some way. The dialogue is really fun to read and the story is really interesting. I also really like the world, it’s a fantasy world but there’s lots of emphasis on natural environments rather than only medieval themed castles and buildings. It kind of reminds me of Zelda’s world or Deltora (another YA fantasy series) in that way.

Does the Book Of Dreams count

1 Like

I am reading this book in my hand.

1 Like

:dizzy_face:

Wings of Fire isn’t YA. They’re children’s books, and it shows.

Don’t get me wrong, I love children’s books, but WoF is not where it’s at, for me. I find them to be poorly written. There’s nothing that makes them interesting - just tribes going to war, only thing is that they’re dragons, and it isn’t enough to make the cut, in my opinon.

I read them 3-4 years ago, and by the time I was through the first series I was really disappointed. The second series was good, though. I never got past the third one of the third series. I think there’s been a couple new ones since then?

Other news, I got Poison for Breakfast for christmas, annotated by my best friend/sister, would totally recommend.

4 Likes

Not sure what to say besides I disagree, lol. I really like the writing style and think there’s a lot of interesting things about the books. But to each their own I guess

2 Likes

I haven’t read WoF but I would compare it with Warrior Cats too, I read the first 5 of that series and some of the super editions and standalones back in the day and it was fine but the language features and plot points started to get really repetitive. That being said it got my brother into reading, so any series that can make a child enjoy reading is worthy of merit for capturing imagination in it’s audience.

After all, the story is just: cats are in tribes, they fight. There was only so many stories to be told before it started cannibalising itself (Making old characters unlikeable, killing off characters or locations willy nilly etc.)

Then again having 5(?) people write one series did not help. Too many cooks as the saying goes…

@anon61908668 For a really biased recommendation of a series featuring anthromorphic characters, that you might enjoy and that I would highly recommend, I would suggest Redwall. Not the first book and namesake of the series per say but any one of the series installments, the series roughly spans 1000 years so it’s often new characters each time.

Wait this is the what are you reading right now topic…ops, well I am finally finishing Redwall right now actually, there was two books I did not read a decade ago and now I am completing the mission :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Redwall was that for me. Read the whole thing from start to finish when I was but a wee childe.

4 Likes

No
Really??
ME TOO
Redwall is what made me love reading, I was 7(?) when I read Martin The Warrior and it changed me forever, previously I did not care about reading but it made me see how a story can be painted without a neon screen or a controller in ones hand.

Ngl once I chewed through the series in a year I did feel pretty sad that I had no one to talk about it with :confused:

My favourite might be Lord Brocktree as it has a great A and B plot whilst shaking things up a bit with no Redwall Abbey in the picture and an antagonist who actually is doing really well until the third act.

4 Likes

I actually read a lot of the Warriors books too. While at first I thought Wings of Fire would be similar, I think in many ways it’s actually the complete opposite.

Warriors had a lot of characters, but I think it was a plot-driven story. It seemed like the plot was what came first and the characters fit into their roles in that plot. In Wings of Fire, the characters are the ones driving the story. They each have their own reasons to go on their different adventures, and the stories in general really seem to follow the characters’ individual thoughts and their journeys.

Also, while there were some unique characters in Warriors, they pretty much all fit into a “good” or “bad” category. In Wings of Fire, there are many characters who I genuinely don’t know how to feel about. Like, I’m honestly not sure if I’d call them good or bad, they’re really a mix of both. And there are some characters who are definitely good or bad, but many of these characters are also interesting to read about, and more complex than I feel any character in Warriors is.

One other thing that struck me as being the complete opposite of Warriors was how Wings of Fire deals with the theme of fate vs. free will. In Warriors, pretty much everything is decided by Starclan. It seems like it’s all about “accepting” a destiny that’s chosen for these cats. The part that bothers me the most about this is, it’s portrayed as a good thing. Eventually, the cats who accepted a destiny they didn’t actually want, are apparently ok with it or at least accepting that Starclan knows best.

The whole theme of Wings of Fire, especially in the first arc, is that these dragons choose their own destinies. There isn’t a magical force (Starclan in Warriors) choosing their paths for them, they do have choice and the books are a result of them choosing for themselves. The “prophecy” in the first arc turns out to not even be real, it was just fabricated as an attempt by one of the tribes to control the outcome of the war. In the end, it’s up to the dragons themselves to stop the war.

I did enjoy Warriors, but you’re right about the repetitive plot points, and it has some other issues too. I feel like Wings of Fire’s story is always going in new directions. I love cats lol, but Wings of Fire is a much more interesting and enjoyable series to me than Warriors.

I have read some of Redwall, tbh something that bothered me about that series though was how certain species are made out to be “bad” and others “good.” And the “bad” species usually seem to be defeated pretty easily by the more heroic “good” species.

2 Likes

Facts.
(I did not mean to say they are the same in substance btw, I meant same in the place they fill as series that makes youths enjoy reading.)

Smh having read nearly all I can sadly agree with you, Jacques himself said he kept it that way as he wanted to tell stories of clear good and bad, and he felt it kept things clear for the young audience compared to the plethora of grey characters he saw in media around him. (But he definitely did it heavy handedly)

But there are exceptions, in Mossflower there is a good wildcat and his descendants later are mentioned as good, many of the horde beasts, corsairs etc. mention that their families disapproved of such a lifestyle, suggesting somewhere there are vermin who live peaceful lives. Pretty much every fan I’ve come across has said they head canon that all species can be good or bad.

Anyway maybe I’ll give WoF a read based on your recommendation :smiley: and maybe you might pick up a Redwall book again sometime :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Fair enough lol. I know everybody has different preferences so I can’t guarantee you’ll enjoy WoF but I would definitely recommend it, since it’s one of my favorite fiction series. And maybe I’ll give Redwall another try too, lol.

3 Likes

Alternatively you both read All The Wrong Questions :triumph:

4 Likes

Better idea, everyone go read The Book of Ramblings :triumph: written by Ghid :triumph: (that’s me) :clown_face: and hosted on the TTV message boards :triumph: :100: :fire:

Currently I’m reading BIONICLE Legends #9 because it’s sitting in front of my keyboard for some reason and I might have just forgotten to put it back when I referenced something out of it.

6 Likes