What if Bionicle was canceled for a reason other than failure?

Really what makes you different from me in this regard…oh the Java script thing…suuuuure cause thats a valid response It isnt. Like what does that have to do we the comment. You learning Java script says nothing about you moving on.

If you think I’m going to post all the other things I do with my life on the internet you are crazy :P[quote=“TeslaEffect, post:19, topic:35589”]
Than that is why it failed since its targeted demographic should have been kids from all backgrounds and places, and yet it didnt achieve that, which is why it got cancelled.
[/quote]

I fail to see any franchise doing that. Remember the Maoi tribe that sued Lego? :stuck_out_tongue: Nothing will appeal to everyone. Not even basic things like not killing people or food appeal to everyone. Having a franchise that does is nothing but a fantasy.

No, I expected however you posting one valid reason that related to the subject matter. Your Java script thing was vague and random.

Thats a very odd example of cherry picking for a counter argument…which also has very little to do with the subject I just said…in which I was refering to the notion that a company that wants to focus on making money should also consider places like Spain as valid markets, cause gosh darn it thats capitalism for ya.

The fact that I’m happy right now and you apparently aren’t? I mean you seem taking this a little too personally…

Lego sales vary from place to place. Bionicle sales would logically also vary. I don’t see why Bionicles not doing well in a certain part of Spain has anything to do with their sales overall. Also Lego has stated that Bionicle sales did well. So shouldn’t that be enough?

Oh is that really? Seems that you with your notions of making me react to your provocative statements of you better than me is nothing different from my reactions, so please dont kid yourself in creating a false representation of not caring,when in fact you just proved that you did by caring enough to have a reaction to something that should not have made a reaction to someone that has actually moved on.

Its because its not only Spain that had the issue, many other countries as well, arguably no country was selling them like hot cakes…so with your logic the entire world was not the targeted audience.

It would if we knew that they were honest about it, which we dont, in which case that statement doesnt help much. Its misleading at least.

You lost me. Honeslty I have other things I like, I just thought something was weird and decided to post it on the internet. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was under the impression that the Toa sold like hot cakes along with a fair amount of other sets.

Has Lego been known to lie?

Which Toa, when, and where should also be considered.

Its a company, they have to have had some white lies/lies in the large period of their existence. Its only natural.

@keiththelegokid I guess I should agree on that, Lego doesn´t see Spain as a primary target most of the time. Believe me, we got Lego Dimensions months later than the rest of the world. That´s just one example.

Thanks for being so open-minded on people´s views of the story. I appreciate that.

1 Like

Do you have any of that information? Is that information even accessible by the general public?

Can you tell me any?

Thanks for not torching me :stuck_out_tongue:

Doesn’t matter. Anything could be great or awful, but if it doesn’t sell well it can’t stay on shelves for much longer. It’s no longer profitable for the company at that point.

Yes, but I’d like it if you could somehow explain to me why in a lot of toy stores I’ve been in Bionicle was always one of the “overstocked” toylines. Instead of being overstocked, maybe people just didn’t want to buy it.

Well, Spain is just another place they might not have done well. It’s not significant on it’s own but it becomes MUCH larger when you look at the fact that a lot of people here have some experience with overstocked or extremely difficult to find waves.

I mean, to be fair, you kind of didn’t present much information when you said the Toa sold like hot cakes…

Here’s the thing, I believe you’re not considering the big picture here of what we do know. Some sets were extremely difficult to track down in European markets AFTER the first one or two waves, which tells me stores didn’t want to stock them by that point (keep in mind, stores will buy stock if it’s profitable). Many sets were found left on super-clearance (free Quake Beast and $5 Gali amirite), and in general the sets were either shelfwarming or simply hard to find at retail. What this tells me is a few things; retailers likely didn’t stock many in certain countries after a possible bad experience with the first year, more domestic stores (to make sure there’s no confusion, I’m in America) likely bought a few cases and couldn’t sell them all, and when they couldn’t sell them all the sets went on discount.

All of this combined just seems far too suggestive of poor sales rather than a successful toyline being temporarily ended due to a marketing campaign for an upcoming movie based on it.

But you are comparing one of Lego’s worst failures to Bionicle. That alone is a ridiculous point in your argument. Lego has said Galidor didn’t do well. They have however said that Bionicle has.

Your section of the globe isn’t all the world. I know where I live they sold out, but that doesn’t mean they sold out everywhere as ToaWaster pointed out. Lego said they did well, and Lego has given me no reason to doubt their word.

But did Lego’s even do well before in most of those places?

I was referring to the TTV Podcast where they mentioned that the Toa has sold a whole lot better than the rest of the sets. I live in Germany. I don’t any Germans who buy more Legos. In fact if you go into a German store you will find that Lego themselves are not as prominent as they are in the states. In fact whole themes are typically missing from some stores. We almost never get a full wave from any one theme. The fact that Bionicle was hard to find in europe is probably due to the fact that Lego itself has not reached the levels of popularity it has in the States or the UK.

The only reason you’re saying they did well is because there’s a single, short Twitter post made saying they did well when some guy asked out of the blue. I’d like you to find more solid evidence than “their PR guy on twitter said so.” Most of what I and other users have posted is evidence of what we’ve found in our stores as well as logic based on how retail tends to go. All you’ve really presented so far is that a PR guy on twitter said it did well in response to a single user asking about it.

1 Like

I don’t see the disconnect here. I’m hungry.

The thing is, Lego was a lot more open about their market successes and stuff back then.

It sold “well”. “Well” is a relative term, and maybe it didn’t sell “great.”

OK, from what I’m gathering, about his original comment.

He’s probably interpreting this as

“y’all haven’t moved on with your life, and are instead whining/speculating about this unimportant on a internet forum”

and thus, @keiththelegokid responds, with the implied message “I have moved on with my life, thank you very much.”

At least, that’s what I’m getting from this.

1 Like

whatever happend to our fandoms unity? a simple blow like g2s cancellation = the fandom splitting apart the toa we grew up with, the lessons they taught us, what of those? if sonic the hedgehog can get back up after sonic boom surely bionicle has a chance. and if not we have g1,g2 and biotubers to fill the hole

1 Like

Preach man preach

1 Like

Considering TRU’s death, I think it’s time to consider that this topic’s premise might be right. A lot of people (including me) were reluctant to believe that Lego’s denial of financial reasons was true. I mean, if TRU couldn’t move Bionicle, then who could?

But TRU was, at the very least, flawed at the time, with its own deep problems. So any data from there is, at the best, tainted, and at the worst, wrong.

I think the biggest evidence pointing to Bionicle being cancelled for some other reason is the ending to JTO. We know that the end had to be written sometime in 2015, and there’s no way they could have known that after one wave the line was performing so poorly. The results just don’t come in that fast. So it must have been for some other reason. What was it? I don’t know.

1 Like