What Lightsaber Form Would You Use?

Vaapad and Soresu.

Two polar opposites, interesting. Many Jedi utilized multiple techniques, Luke Skywalker himself practiced both Shii-Cho and Ataru (though obviously as an eventual Jedi Battlemaster, he learned every form in time).

I would use form VII. As a middle schooler, it’s still somewhat acceptable for me and my friends to fight with sticks, and I’ve always preferred to be more offensive then defensive.

I’ve always liked Ataru. Including the name. It just sounds like something you’d be proud of.

1 Like

Definitely Ataru for me.

I was always a fan of a combination of form II and V Hybrid…

@pizzacheetah Actually Luke Skywalker in the EU made hundreds of new lightsaber combat forms. And mastered every single one of them along with the traditional 7

Edited for Double Post - Waj

1 Like

I actually practice swordplay with my cousin so I might get a little too deep into the question…

From what I can tell Shien (Form V) looks to be most similar to my fighting style. I generally use feints, some quick jabs and a bit of footwork to keep my opponent at a distance until I can force them into a poor position/stance or tire him out. Then I take a few swings at anything unguarded (jab to shoulder or swing to thigh/calf) until I lose the upper-hand. This is greatly aided by me being able to discretely switch hands (right-over-left to left-over right) in the middle of a duel.

ambidextrousness ftw /s

2 Likes

Either Makashi or Soresu.

One pierces any defense, the other can be an unbreakable defense. Both are still surprisingly minimalist in movements, and require patient strategy to master.

1 Like

Well, the Djem So discipline of Form V is all about taking Soresu and allowing you to add offense. You strike hard and repeatedly, but don’t create any openings for your opponents. It’s basically Form III with influence from Form II, whereas Shien is more like Form III with influence from Form I.

@louimath I was just referring to the forms he uses in the movies, which is why I added the line about what he did later. He had to reinvent the Jedi Order with very little help, after all (though obviously Kyle Katarn was a pretty important part of that).

@TheRed1s Honestly, that sounds slightly more like Form II to me, since it’s mostly about jabs, quick strikes, and finesse, whereas Form V is very brutish and direct, designed to back opponents into a corner, as it were.

1 Like

I am probably a form 2 fighter tbh.

Probably the first one.

The Shien fits me best, I believe.

Soresu or Niman for me.
Although Shien being known as the “way of the Krayt Dragon” is cool as heck.

2 Likes

Well, Krayt Dragons are slow, but strike hard and are difficult to kill. It’s a fitting name. I think Soresu got the short end of the stick there. Mynocks are hard to kill, yes, but there are better things to pick to represent that form. I do like how Shii-Cho is called The Way of the Sarlacc, since it’s about flailing motions.

I would probably go with the Niman or Soresu and then become really good at the force for offense.

Way of the Krayt Dragon.
Yeah, that’s not even the reason I chose it, it is pretty accurate to what I would use.

1 Like

Being myself, I would attempt to master all of them, to give myself the ability to select the best form for the situation.

That said, I would likely lean to Shien, as it is similar to my sparring style in Tae-Kwon-Do. I like its approach of outlasting all other opponents.

2 Likes

Well, Jedi Padawans do learn Forms I through VI in their basic training, even if they don’t master all of the forms. As such, most Jedi have actually mastered more than one, even if they favor one over another. Luminara Unduli was a master in Soresu, even though it wasn’t her go-to form. She also was clearly very experienced with Form II, even if it’s not necessarily stated that she mastered it.

Just like how Count Dooku was a practitioner of Form II, yet likely was if not a master, well-versed in all seven Forms as he taught all the forms to General Griveous, one of the greatest, if not the best non force-sensitive lightsaber duellist we know of, capable of random patterns as fast as 20 lightsaber hits per second.

This also goes to show us how powerful Obi-Wan’s Form III was, and why he is considered to be the greatest master in that form, which I like to call the way of the Zilo Beast instead of that of the Mynock, not because of how it fights, but because it’s armor is impenetrable.

3 Likes

I think Way of the Zilo Beast is a much better name if the forms were named by the intent. Of course, they’re named based on motions, so it got Mynock. I still feel like Zilo Beast is better fitting, even in regards to motion.

1 Like