What made Bionicle Bionicle for you?

We in Finland might be an interesting case study since besides three movies and first guide book, no bionicle media was translated to finnish.

Edit: all of the comics at least till kardanui

Commercials were also good. (We skipped piraka rap)

So to me bionicle was mostly the toys. They we fun. That is the thing that kept me a fan for long since I had no idea what was happening in stories since toy trailers would not tell XD. YEAR after year story would just randomly jump for me to other location with new toys XD. Although wikipedia helped to fill caps when karda nui arc began.

Then later I read snip bits and short stories from wikipedia which were translated by fans for fans.

4 Likes

I like the Bionicle part.

3 Likes

What made it special for me was how important the little guys are in the story. Most superhero stories are centered around a powerful character that saves faceless crowds (as in G2). But in Bionicle, probably due to a need to give story participation to the small matoran sets, we see how the common people actively participate in the story. This is more relevant in the early years of Bionicle because there the protagonist were the Matoran instead of the Toa. That’s what made it special for me, it was way more relatable and deep than your average “powerful dudes save the world” story.

7 Likes