What made MNOG (and MNOG 2) Good?

Wasn’t there to play it, but I hear its mainly the world building.

But take that away and it’s really just a point and click game…not really that exciting.

1 Like

Too much grind ruined it.

3 Likes

Yeah, considering that it was a game meant for kids (who usually desire instant gratification), I doubt any of 'em had the patience, effort, and time needed to complete it. I want to know if the developers really thought this through. Even I had to resort to “cheats”! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I did it without cheats as a kid.

Only took me two years…

1 Like
  • Level of mystery
  • Potential grinding to become the very best like no one ever was!
  • The music creating a good atmosphere
  • The ability to feel like part of the story
  • The character you play is not special, e.g. not some powerful Toa
  • You explore a variation of the world around you, while many Bionicle comics and books focus on the Toa, MNOG and MNOG2 focused on the Matoran
  • Wide variety of characters that felt unique despite having fairly similar designs
  • Personality crafted into a majority of the conversations
  • Allowed for exploration of previously unseen areas while also providing backstory, lore, side quests and varying other aspects to keep you entertained.
5 Likes

I think the best thing MNOG did was flesh out the background for Mata Nui in geography, characters, and cultures. It gave the island a enchanting atmosphere that other locations could not emulate.

1 Like

@Scarilian
Halis questions make her look like a simple minded person.
The Grinding is a negative and shall always be in any game.
Large areas with nothing to do.
No real quest log.
The Matoran arent that fleshed out, or interesting, the worst being Hali, which got no actual character interaction aside of the dumb questions she always asked.

1 Like

RIP VNOG. You only had two music soundtracks. And they weren’t even that good.

The only location that came close IMO was Mahri Nui. I remember there was one “game” available in Bioniclestory.com that allowed you to go into the Toa Terrain Crawler, go out and explore the deep sea landscape. That alongside the mysterious/enchanting music made the experience really mesmerizing

“map” of the deep sea landscape. Glowing “orbs” provide insight on characters and locations.

There was also a section in the Terrain Crawler that allowed fans to ask Greg questions, so that was a thing

4 Likes

The memories! I loved that game! I remember trying to explore as much as possible. Really, I would love we got a game like that. It was much better than the other Mahri game.

4 Likes

What really made MNOG 2 great was infinite storage :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

It did have a limit at 999 of an item.

So not quite infinity. But close enough.

3 Likes

Is it still available somewhere? It sounds kinda cool.

1 Like

Found it

http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/files/gfx/Websites/ToaTerrain%20Crawler/Launcher.html

2 Likes

looks in Hahli’s bag

5 Likes

FINALLY! I finally captured an easter egg in MMOG 2; Hahli does the titanic pose but very rarely

8 Likes

Is this for real? I love this

1 Like